Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Subaru has a decades-long history of showing interesting and even stunning prototypes at a car show, and then they are never seen again. If the new 3 row is shown in concept form in LA this wknd it's unlikely to bear much resemblance to the production model. In all likelihood it will be hard to distinguish it from most of its competitors, since I think its potential buyers don't want to stand out from the crowd. But they will require a lot of comfort and gizmos, much more than Subaru has been used to providing.

But they would probably reveal the powertrain choices;if the 3-row does not use the h-6, this would make the current OB h-6 the last of the breed. I'd be sorry to see it go.

I hope they don't pick the name Assscent, too many bad jokes will be made.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
734 Posts
Subaru has a decades-long history of showing interesting and even stunning prototypes at a car show, and then they are never seen again. If the new 3 row is shown in concept form in LA this wknd it's unlikely to bear much resemblance to the production model. In all likelihood it will be hard to distinguish it from most of its competitors, since I think its potential buyers don't want to stand out from the crowd. But they will require a lot of comfort and gizmos, much more than Subaru has been used to providing.

But they would probably reveal the powertrain choices;if the 3-row does not use the h-6, this would make the current OB h-6 the last of the breed. I'd be sorry to see it go.

I hope they don't pick the name Assscent, too many bad jokes will be made.
The new Impreza (17 model) is close to the concept I think so we could get the basic shape. I don't think it will be a Vizz 2 type looking concept. As far as engine choices Mazda only offers a 4 turbo but Ford offers 6 and 4 configs. The new Mercedes E class comes standard with a turbo 4. If they where smart they would offer it in turbo 4 and 3.6 offerings. There was rumors of a Hybrid type layout also

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R, Ice Silver
31 Posts
The new Impreza (17 model) is close to the concept I think so we could get the basic shape. I don't think it will be a Vizz 2 type looking concept. As far as engine choices Mazda only offers a 4 turbo but Ford offers 6 and 4 configs. The new Mercedes E class comes standard with a turbo 4. If they where smart they would offer it in turbo 4 and 3.6 offerings. There was rumors of a Hybrid type layout also

A co-worker has the new CX-9 with the turbo-4. Great SUV, and better stereo :), but the mpg is several mpg's worse than my 3.6. We have the same commute each day, all surface streets and lots of red lights, and he's only getting 14-15mpg. I get 17mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
734 Posts
Saw a picture on Subaru's world press web site. Looks like a a Land Cruiser Mitsu product

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
If there's a lesson to be taken from the Tribeca it is size.

The whole point of a big car is being big enough, and the Tribeca simply wasn't. I think Subaru got a reinforcement lesson in the 2010 Outback: when they released that car with the enlarged rear cabin, sales really took off.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that it appears to have hinged rear doors. When the Honda Oddysey was developed out of the Accord, the 1st generation made that mistake as well. Honda later corrected it and they've been selling well since.

The discontinuation of the Mazda5 has left a hole at the smaller end of the minivan market, one not quite filled by the CX9. Maybe this is what Subaru is shooting for?

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,602 Posts

The whole point of a big car is being big enough, and the Tribeca simply wasn't. I think Subaru got a reinforcement lesson in the 2010 Outback: when they released that car with the enlarged rear cabin, sales really took off.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that it appears to have hinged rear doors. When the Honda Oddysey was developed out of the Accord, the 1st generation made that mistake as well. Honda later corrected it and they've been selling well since.

The discontinuation of the Mazda5 has left a hole at the smaller end of the minivan market, one not quite filled by the CX9. Maybe this is what Subaru is shooting for?
Subaru buyers (existing owners) won't likely buy a third row "SUV" with sliding doors. Why? They'd already have a minivan if they wanted one.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,358 Posts
Subaru buyers (existing owners) won't likely buy a third row "SUV" with sliding doors. Why? They'd already have a minivan if they wanted one.
How do you know they're going after existing owners? I mean, I'm sure they're going to want to grab the folks giving up their Outbacks because the family got even bigger, but that's sort of the low-hanging fruit.

It seems to me that a Big-aru would be their way to get minivan & large crossover shoppers who didn't have any Subaru on their radar because the Outback was way too small.

I don't actually care if the doors slide or not- that is a technicality. I just hope they are very large, because doorways that big generally occur on vehicles with truly useful 3rd rows.

If those back doors are big enough to cause problems in garages & tight California parking lots, I'll consider this car to be a success from a scale & design standpoint.

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, Foz, 3.0R Limited
4,602 Posts
How do you know they're going after existing owners? I mean, I'm sure they're going to want to grab the folks giving up their Outbacks because the family got even bigger, but that's sort of the low-hanging fruit.

It seems to me that a Big-aru would be their way to get minivan & large crossover shoppers who didn't have any Subaru on their radar because the Outback was way too small.

I don't actually care if the doors slide or not- that is a technicality. I just hope they are very large, because doorways that big generally occur on vehicles with truly useful 3rd rows.

If those back doors are big enough to cause problems in garages & tight California parking lots, I'll consider this car to be a success from a scale & design standpoint.
Agreed on all points, especially the doors. I just feel that if this is going to succeed it will need to succeed with not only new but existing customers as well. Not that they'd want to cannibalize sales but they know people have been sadly outgrowing their Outbacks for 20yrs now.

If they can successfully address some of the drawbacks of the B9 they have a chance to make this work.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
734 Posts

Hinged rear doors? I assume you wanted a minivan kind of look. Thats why I got a 16 OB instead of the Honda Pilot. Even with hinged doors the Pilot looks like a Odyssey

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Despite the quote, "Although this imposing concept has an interesting style and looks quite futuristic, it’s not meant to preview the design of the upcoming SUV, but rather preview the direction the automaker is going in terms of size.", it looks about as production-ready to me as the 2009 Legacy concept did (unlike recent Impreza/WRX concepts).

Viziv-7 Concept Previews Upcoming Subaru SUV With 7 Seats

Remember this? It wasn't far off from the production model.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,248 Posts
Where's Carl?

Carl knows stuff about this stuff. He always does.

We can either waterboard or make him watch endless reruns of Punky Brewster but he'll talk.

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
28 Posts
Just hope they change those lights in the lower front and rear bumpers, they look terrible and are very distracting from the overall design.

·
Registered
870 Posts
What is blowing my mind is the size of this prototype as stated in the email above. :confused:

Looks like Tahoe for example was a full size benchmark

"Viziv-Ascent" 204x80x72, wheelbase 117

Tahoe 204x81x74, wheelbase 116

so the Sube exec is not kidding when he says they will be making a full size crossover.

Sorry, this is too much of a porker for me. Would be interesting to see this chugging with a 2.0 turbo. :laugh:

I bet they have a few secrets up their sleeve like a shorter 2/2.5 row, similar to Hyundai Sante Fe (193" length) and SF Sport.
For comparison, Highlander is 193X76X68, wheelbase 110. gen 5 Outback 190x72x66, wb 108. 2016 honda pilot 195x79x70, wb 111. The new VW Atlas 198x78x70, wb ?

2016 mazda cx9 199x77x68, wb 115. Explorer 198x79x70, wb 112.

I bet they have a few secrets up their sleeve like a shorter 2/2.5 row model, similar to Hyundai Sante Fe (193" length) and SF Sport.

That would give Subaru a midsize crossover to sell , and room at the top for an "exclusive" full size fully loaded barge starting at maybe 50K, for those fans who really need one. I think the real target is the midsize market.

Whatever, if this is a 2019 model, we might see the real pre-production car (not a "concept") at next years LA show, or maybe even as late as New York 2019. A US debut would make sense since this model is intended for the US market.

Biting off a lot, hope S. can chew it. :smile2:

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
What is blowing my mind is the size of this prototype as stated in the email above.
Looks like Tahoe for example was a full size benchmark

"Viziv-Ascent" 204x80x72, wheelbase 117

Tahoe 204x81x74, wheelbase 116

so the Sube exec is not kidding when he says they will be making a full size crossover.

Sorry, this is too much of a porker for me. Would be interesting to see this chugging with a 2.0 turbo. :laugh:

I bet they have a few secrets up their sleeve like a shorter 2/2.5 row, similar to Hyundai Sante Fe (193" length) and SF Sport. For comparison, Highlander is 176X76X68, wheelbase 110.

That would give Subaru a midsize crossover to sell, and room at the top for an "exclusive" full size fully loaded barge starting at maybe 50K, for those fans who really need one. I think the real target is the midsize market.

Biting off a lot, hope S. can chew it. :smile2:
Power plant will be interesting. Something that size screams for a V8.

41 - 60 of 216 Posts