Subaru Outback Forums banner

61 - 80 of 216 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just hope they change those lights in the lower front and rear bumpers, they look terrible and are very distracting from the overall design.
The lights will most likely look different in production form, but I'd bet there will still be brake lights in the lower corners of the rear end. That is because the tail lights appear to move with the tailgate (like a Audi Q5 or Lincoln MXC), and in that case there must be operational tail lights elsewhere on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,243 Posts
Where's Carl?

Carl knows stuff about this stuff. He always does.

We can either waterboard or make him watch endless reruns of Punky Brewster but he'll talk.
Carl is still cleaning the drool off his monitor.

:nerd:

Current dimensions make it 15" longer than the Outback. We're still discussing what they'll do with the engine. We have a ride and drive next month on the new Impreza, and you know we're also going to ask about this new, lovely looking, beast. (And if you note on the mule pictures, the window / roof lines do seem to match, so ... yeah, put a turbo 6 in it, so it's got enough power, and, as Jalopnik said, "The Seven Seat SUV That Will Cement Subaru's Takeover Of America"

The Subaru Viziv-7 Is The Seven Seat SUV That Will Cement Subaru's Takeover Of America

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,422 Posts
I merged the 2 exiting current threads on the 3 row subaru concept.

@Carl Abrams is this to be assembled in Indiana at some point?

·
Registered
873 Posts
If there's a lesson to be taken from the Tribeca it is size.

The whole point of a big car is being big enough, and the Tribeca simply wasn't. I think Subaru got a reinforcement lesson in the 2010 Outback: when they released that car with the enlarged rear cabin, sales really took off.

Personally I'm a little disappointed that it appears to have hinged rear doors. When the Honda Oddysey was developed out of the Accord, the 1st generation made that mistake as well. Honda later corrected it and they've been selling well since.

The discontinuation of the Mazda5 has left a hole at the smaller end of the minivan market, one not quite filled by the CX9. Maybe this is what Subaru is shooting for?
Yes I think the OB took off in sales when they made it a little bigger and found the price point where they could still include the AWD. IOW when OB was no longer a little too small, and also noticeably too expensive, it became popular.

Tribeca came out around 11 years ago and at the time people were asking what is this about? They couldn't figure it out. It was a $30K+ car (first since the SVX) from a small manufacturer that has few stand-alone dealers, and very little mainstream recognition. I liked the B9, mainly for the engine, but it was expensive, did not drive that well, and the interior was interesting but very cramped for that size car.

To refresh my memory I just looked at the wiki article and am reminded that the Tribeca was from the era of Subaru history when they had hired the guy who was the former Alfa Romeo chief stylist, and big things were expected, then he beat it after 2 years and pretty much left behind just that horse collar grille that the first year Tribeca had. They fixed some of the handling problems in the second or 3rd year but it was too late, and always so cramped even in the 5 seat config, let alone the 7 seat.

I have a feeling Subaru will try different 5 and 7 seat models with the new "Ascent", just hope they don't repeat their errors.:smile2:Still can't get over how big the "concept" is and disappointed because no way will I buy a battleship that size.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Current dimensions make it 15" longer than the Outback. We're still discussing what they'll do with the engine. We have a ride and drive next month on the new Impreza, and you know we're also going to ask about this new, lovely looking, beast.
I am looking forward to driving the new Impreza. I think it will give be the equal or better of the current Legacy/OB in many ways; then it'll be time to put in 2.5 and get back to the Impreza RS days. :smile2:

Just wondering, IIRC one of the other Viziv prototypes (the 3 door one) might foreshadow the next Forester. Forester gets replaced also in 2019, with a new model on the new platform, correct?

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
740 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of6JwQZIVEA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc-b3Lz69WU

Current dimensions make it 15" longer than the Outback. We're still discussing what they'll do with the engine. We have a ride and drive next month on the new Impreza, and you know we're also going to ask about this new, lovely looking, beast. (And if you note on the mule pictures, the window / roof lines do seem to match, so ... yeah, put a turbo 6 in it, so it's got enough power, and, as Jalopnik said, "The Seven Seat SUV That Will Cement Subaru's Takeover Of America"

The Subaru Viziv-7 Is The Seven Seat SUV That Will Cement Subaru's Takeover Of America
I thought the on sale date was sometime in 17. It appears they pushed it back to spring 18. The sooner the better with the new VW and GM offerings in the mix early on

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I thought the on sale date was sometime in 17. It appears they pushed it back to spring 18. The sooner the better with the new VW and GM offerings in the mix early on
Supposed to be the 2018 model, last we heard - which would put it on sale in (probably) late 2017.

Please note that ANYTHING I put up here on this car is merely my own personal speculation. We've not heard anything official yet.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
740 Posts
Supposed to be the 2018 model, last we heard - which would put it on sale in (probably) late 2017.

Please note that ANYTHING I put up here on this car is merely my own personal speculation. We've not heard anything official yet.
Understand, The press release says early 18, so I assume spring of next year. They have had at least 4 years to prepare for this and I assume there is some Highlander influence involved so I was hoping it was ready to go this summer

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
9,929 Posts
Judging by that add where it's the same size as a Nimitz class carrier, I think it should be able to hold seven Americans comfortably.

Does anyone know what the lights on the fender are for?

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,581 Posts
Judging by that add where it's the same size as a Nimitz class carrier, I think it should be able to hold seven Americans comfortably.

Guidance for the approaching aircraft.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,422 Posts

I guess they are testing it in Japan off road with a group of 300lb sumo wrestlers,

equate to the same test of average americans picked off the streets. (...such lured by the concept of a chevy traverse,...made with a AWD system designed not to get stuck on emergency trips to the Cracker Barrel through a foot of slush covered Denver roads).

the lights don't look like they meet the USCG or similar international specifications,...so if anyone makes it into a amphibious vehicle they will have to add real boat lights.

·
Registered
873 Posts
my 2 cents:
I Can't imagine that the production model will be this big. Maybe they showed a big concept car just to get attention?

The large SUV segment is totally dominated by GM products.
Large SUV Sales In America - October 2016 YTD - GOOD CAR BAD CAR
Toyota and Nissan just can't hack it in this segment (just like in full-size pickups) and if Subaru wanted to jump in it would IMO only be a great way for them to loose oodles of money.

Looking at the mid size SUV/crossover sales stats, and at the segment sales leaders, Subaru will have its work cut out to establish itself here also. They are coming late to the game. Midsize SUV Sales In America - October 2016 YTD - GOOD CAR BAD CAR

Tough place to be. They have to sell a 3 row crossover, to keep the brand viable, but it's going to be really hard for them to get it rolling IMO.

http://www.consumerreports.org/impreza/all-new-2017-subaru-impreza-first-drive-review/

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
740 Posts
Look at the current test mules shots. It does appear this will be a large one. Subaru does not want to repeat the Tribeca mistake. It would have to be a foot plus longer than the OB to have a decent 3rd seat

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
my 2 cents:
I Can't imagine that the production model will be this big. Maybe they showed a big concept car just to get attention?
Imagine it.

Keep in mind what's going to happen next year - a LOT of big changes for the company, AND for the parent company.
Subaru is dropping their light engine production (the ones you see in generators and on 4 wheelers like the Polaris). That's already been announced - those are going to be made in, well, China now.
Fuji Heavy Industries will change their name to Subaru Corporation, since the car division is now where things are, as opposed to how it was a long time ago when the aircraft division was their bread and butter, and the car division was the 'loss leader'.

We as a company already HAVE a 7 passenger vehicle - the Levorg. But it's based upon, literally, smaller passengers. That's why it won't work here in the U.S.

Now - look at the production capacity of SIA. Keep in mind the limiting factor in production is the EPA certificate. So ... before the big remodel and the new EPA certificate, we were limited to 300K cars per year, with 60K of those being Toyota. Now - we can make 300K Outbacks and Legacy, and still make the 60K US market Impreza we need - and still have room to make 40K of the Viziv-7.

We're not TRYING to be an Expedition, Suburban, or CX-9 killer. But we need a 7 passenger of our own that IS of that size - and that's exactly what niche this car fills. We've been told for several years that this will be a totally new car, not based upon anything we already have in our inventory, and be large enough for the US market. Is it going to be expensive? Sure - I wouldn't be shocked to see it start in the mid $40's and maybe even hit the mid $50's. There is a market for these cars, and we want our share of it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
25,422 Posts
Imagine it.

Keep in mind what's going to happen next year - a LOT of big changes for the company, AND for the parent company.
Subaru is dropping their light engine production (the ones you see in generators and on 4 wheelers like the Polaris). That's already been announced - those are going to be made in, well, China now.
Fuji Heavy Industries will change their name to Subaru Corporation, since the car division is now where things are, as opposed to how it was a long time ago when the aircraft division was their bread and butter, and the car division was the 'loss leader'.

We as a company already HAVE a 7 passenger vehicle - the Levorg. But it's based upon, literally, smaller passengers. That's why it won't work here in the U.S.

Now - look at the production capacity of SIA. Keep in mind the limiting factor in production is the EPA certificate. So ... before the big remodel and the new EPA certificate, we were limited to 300K cars per year, with 60K of those being Toyota. Now - we can make 300K Outbacks and Legacy, and still make the 60K US market Impreza we need - and still have room to make 40K of the Viziv-7.

We're not TRYING to be an Expedition, Suburban, or CX-9 killer. But we need a 7 passenger of our own that IS of that size - and that's exactly what niche this car fills. We've been told for several years that this will be a totally new car, not based upon anything we already have in our inventory, and be large enough for the US market. Is it going to be expensive? Sure - I wouldn't be shocked to see it start in the mid $40's and maybe even hit the mid $50's. There is a market for these cars, and we want our share of it.
I thought they had already booted out the Camry production from SIA sometime in 2016,

....Toyota was going to spool up the facility in Kentucky,...and SIA was out of excess capacity anyway. such is mentioned on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Motor_Manufacturing_Kentucky

and its sited USAtoday article from 2014
Toyota pulling Camry from Subaru's Indiana plant

and here, on wikipedia it says the last camry left SIA in May of 2016
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_of_Indiana_Automotive,_Inc.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,581 Posts
Imagine it.

Not trying to shoot the messenger here, Carl, but this is a textbook "design by committee" philosophy. It rarely works.

Ford tried it in the late 1950s with the Edsel. General Motors tried it in the 1980s with the Cadillac Cimarron. And then there was this classic Alfa Romeo Arna model, which we never saw on these shores:

You can add your own favorite here; there's no shortage of examples. This new "Bigaru" model will merely add to that list.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Not trying to shoot the messenger here, Carl, but this is a textbook "design by committee" philosophy. It rarely works.

Ford tried it in the late 1950s with the Edsel. General Motors tried it in the 1980s with the Cadillac Cimarron. And then there was this classic Alfa Romeo Arna model, which we never saw on these shores:

You can add your own favorite here; there's no shortage of examples. This new "Bigaru" model will merely add to that list.
Actually, all of our new product lines are 'designed by committee'. That's what's made them more popular.

Our old design philosophy used to be, here's the team of people, they're in charge of the whole car. That's why we had refrigerators on wheels. And they'd just slap in any old audio system, because that wasn't what they were there for, they were body designers.

Now we have teams for each thing. You've the body guys, you've the audio guys, you've the seat guys, you've the engine guys, and then you've the team to make the whole thing work together.

61 - 80 of 216 Posts