Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i carry a credit card that i use only when i buy gas to track my fuel costs, (i currently drive about 160miles a day for work) and now that i own a subaru i was thinking about gettting the subaru card and earning subaru bucks for my purchases, my theory being that i can use them down the road if i get the dreaded blown head gasket (98LOB) or something else, cushioning the financial blow somewhat.

1. do subaru bucks expire after awhile?
2. do dealers take them for service like replacing head gaskets?
3. are they worth having for such things?

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
GET IT.

I got mine in May of '04. Since then I've earned close to $175 Subaru Bucks. But, that is all dependent on how much you spend of course.

The limit is $500 a year. Subaru/Mastercard send you an actual check everytime you earn $100. That check is valid at any Subaru dealer for any service or parts that you want, or as they like to recommend..."can even be put towards the purchase of a new Subaru!"...yeah, this $100 is gonna go real far!

Anyway, I highly recommend it. I don't understand why everyone wouldn't use this car...you get 3% money back for NOTHING. No annual fee. I pay my balance in full each month so I've got nothing to worry about in terms of interest...

If you want to use it just to pay for gas, it's still worth it...if you spend $100 a month on gas then you'll earn $3 a month in scoobybucks. Not a lot, but it adds up when you start charging other things. Use it for any large purchases you wish to make and you'll really start to notice the payback.

As far as I know, the $ expires after 5 years. Plenty of time to use it. I'm waiting till I get my next check, then I'll take my $200 to the dealer to play with. I'm probably going to put it all towards some type of service...I just crossed 153k miles.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FMGreen said:

...if you spend $100 a month on gas then you'll earn $3 a month in scoobybucks.

man i spend that in almost a week on gas.
it'll get used for any car related purchases, gas, oil, service, etc... but like you i pay it off and never carry a balance.

i suppose i'd be a fool to turn down free money for money im already spending.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The bucks expire four years after issued and the max is $500/year. My wife and I accrued $1000 scooby bucks, and the dealer used that as a downpayment. They had never seen them before but they read the back of the bucks and honored them. Now we are using the scooby-bucks for additional options, potential maintenence needs, set.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Using your Subaru credit cards shows that you have 6 lucky stars, and are Subie to the core!

We got our Subaru cards about two years ago. We use it for everything. I mean everything. We get a $100 certificate in the mail about every two to three months. We save them up. We have used them for lots of service on the 95 keeping it on the road on the cheap. They even took $300 as a down payment for a used Subie at the dealer for the 04 OB. Now we have another certificate which we plan on using buying slush mats and a cargo net for the 04. We put the rest of the down payment for the OB on the card, to help make more certificates. We charge everything, even if we can use a check, just to get the Subie bucks. Its a great card to have if you have a Subie....Not only that, it has the neat colors and logo, even in you wallet, you can show off the blue and yellow!

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Subarite said:
... Not only that, it has the neat colors and logo, even in you wallet, you can show off the blue and yellow!
Does everyone get the same looking card?
The ads always show different cards, with nature scenes, cars, etc...

Mine is just silver with a big grey Subaru logo behind everything and the classic "Subaru (*)" logo in the upper right hand corner. I wish I could get a better looking one, but I still love handing people a big Subaru logo, it's great advertising.

·
Registered
134 Posts
FMGreen said:

Does everyone get the same looking card?
The ads always show different cards, with nature scenes, cars, etc...

Mine is just silver with a big grey Subaru logo behind everything and the classic "Subaru (*)" logo in the upper right hand corner. I wish I could get a better looking one, but I still love handing people a big Subaru logo, it's great advertising.

Ours looks the same. THe new picture shows the thrid design of the card I have seen. THey replaced our grey one with one that feature the "Star" logo much more.

What comes next, the designer series? You can pick which model you have on your card. (OB, WRX, Forester XT, FF1, BRAT...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Subarite
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing