Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2004 35th Anniversary Outback - H6
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just saw a subaru commercial for the first time last night on regualr local TV. i was kinda shocked! i have always seen them on cable channels or when i am out of state but never locally. or maybe i just dont watch enough TV!

either way looks like they are trying to push more in SO Ca area i guess.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Here in Nebraska they are on a lot, local TV or cable TV. Now lately, I'm seeing all sorts of new commercials for the 'Subaru All Wheel Drive Away' Ads. Cheap financing and such. SOA is doing well right now, so I think they may be trying to get all demographics involved in ads. How about Alaska? Anyone see any ads up there:D Brian

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 105,000+ miles
5,122 Posts
Brian is right, I also see probably all the new Subaru commericals every night. At work we always have to have one of our TV's on Fox News and the other ones on e whatever else we want to watch. Subaru has tons of commercial time on Fox News, Fox, and many other channels. This is great, this is the first time they've really come out and gone all out on commercials. No more days of Paul Hogan saying, "Subaru Outback, the world's first sport utility wagon!" Everyone that talks to me about my car relates those old commercials to me, even though the WRX is more highly recognized today but still has lower sales than the Outback.

Well I think that when the new Legacy and Outback are within a month of hitting dealer lots Subaru will unload a buch of new commericals for those two models to spur more interest. My prediction is that those two will be homeruns in the sales department and SOA will finally start to come full circle. Look at it this way, they will have a stellar model lineup with all their knockout models on the front line:

Impreza WRX
Impreza STi
Forester XT
Baja Turbo

...and then with the addition of the new Outback and Legacy they will definately have a great year for sales. Honda and Nissan have done it with all their new models and I think Subaru will follow suit as well. Subaru also plans to more than double its U.S. sales in MY05 year with an expected 203,000 sales.

Sorry for going on that long spew like I always do :p

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
To quote my sister: "It has to be big to show up on television"

Some of the Subaru commercials I've seen show extreme action, wheels in the air, huge sprays of water and dirt. Now, how many of us really drive them like that on a normal daily routine?

(You see better examples of this in the 4X4 pickup truck commercials, lots of extreme action. They generally slow the action down - if not, it would look crazy.)

It bothers me to see such silliness when other major selling points like reliability and safety and practicality are forsaken. I wonder how many potential customers, mild-mannered as they are, get turned off by this wild-ass image the company is trying to project.

I guess there isn't much thrill in a commercial showing someone driving through ten inches of snow to go to the grocery store for a bottle of milk. Where's the excitement of a vehicle that doesn't have to flail around wildly just to get somewhere?

However, there is one Subaru commercial I did like - the one they were running about a year ago, with the WRX winding through the gears on a twisty road. Now, that was real.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Some of the Subaru commercials I've seen show extreme action, wheels in the air, huge sprays of water and dirt. Now, how many of us really drive them like that on a normal daily routine
I do.:roadtrip: Brian

·
5,122 Posts
Alex I think they're just going for a fun to drive and great performance look with their commercials. It like with the Outback commercials how they show an Outback sliding around a corner on a forest trail or the one with the WRX fishtailing around a muddy corner flipping the muck everywhere, I mean c'mon that does look like tons of fun! All the other automaker's commercials seem to be bland or they just try to make them funny like all the "That thing got a HEMI?" commercials. They usually don't express anything, they just try to show off their main selling point for the commercial or make a joke that people will remember. Some are very stupid and you have to be a moron to believe in what they say, for example:

1. I hate Ford's new F-150 commercials, my least favorite one is the "quiet steel" commercial. It says that the new F-150 is built out of steel that is "quieter" that all the other trucks. Then they show it being processed in a factory with the regular steel machine being all loud, noisy, and rough and the "quiet steel" machine being almost silent. I've never heard of this so-called "quiet steel" and I've never heard of a way to make steel quiet. Those Ford Geniuses!!! I'm thinking that when they moved all those factories from the states down to Mexico that some Mexican told them how to make this "quiet steel." Such garbage! :rolleyes:

2. I despise Dodge's marketing of the HEMI, the only marketing that they seem to do period :rolleyes: Every single commercial, HEMI this, HEMI that... its not even that great of an engine! Nissan has them beat hands down with their new 5.6L Titan engine. Well I guess if you tell the average shallowminded American that something that says something on it means that its good they'll usually believe it.

3. And by far my least favorite commercials are the new Chevy "American Revolution" commercials. Yea, they've had to release 10 new vehicles in 20 months because the ones before those were worse than the outdated crap that they're selling now. So what really is this "American Revolution?" I think it should be called the "Latin American Revolution" because that's where GM and all the other U.S. automakers are moving their factories to.

Sorry for yet another long rant, there's just soo much that P's me off about American automakers anymore :headshake

:soapbox:

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Wow you guys are lucky, there's hardly ever any Subaru commercials here and then it's just the one "Symetrical All Wheel Drive" featuring all the cars. I didn't even know the new Outback had been released last October, there was no fanfare at all.

Related to that, there are moves here to ban the sort of commercial you mention because it "encourages dangerous driving" GM even had to pull one featuring a Ute / Pickup doing "doughnuts" on a mud pan in the middle of a desert miles from the nearest road... Ford actually has an ad here that sends up the rules, showing their big V8 sports sedan driving sedately but being chased by about 25 cop cars sirens blaring and a couple of police helicopters - looks fast even going slow LOL

·
5,122 Posts
Jondalar said:
Wow you guys are lucky, there's hardly ever any Subaru commercials here and then it's just the one "Symetrical All Wheel Drive" featuring all the cars. I didn't even know the new Outback had been released last October, there was no fanfare at all.
Hmmm... thats surprising! I know that Subaru is making a big deal about the new Legacy and Outback here in America, I'd think it would be less but still more in Australia where the term "Outback" originated. Sounds odd, maybe Subaru of Australia already knew that the new Legacy and Outback were going to be good sellers so they didn't put too much effort forth.

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
From what I've heard on the grapevine and read over at the Subaru Oz website, there's a 2-3 month waiting list for the Liberty/Legacy GTs and Outback 3.0Rs, so it sounds like they don't need too much advertising.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Losiho said:
From what I've heard on the grapevine and read over at the Subaru Oz website, there's a 2-3 month waiting list for the Liberty/Legacy GTs and Outback 3.0Rs, so it sounds like they don't need too much advertising.
Wow, I was lucky, the dealer just got mine in stock the day before I ordered it :D

·
5,122 Posts
Anyone seen the new Chrysler Pacifica commercial? I just saw it and it stated, "Does the Pacifica's AWD system make it more than a minivan? Yes!" NO, that is a lie seeing as how all of the Dodge and Chrysler minivans are available with AWD :rolleyes: The Pacifica is a really nice vehicle IMO although it is no more than a sales gimmick, an overpriced high-level minivan or wagon that is no different from any other minivan or wagon :rolleyes:

If you can't already tell, I'm getting very sick and tired of all the "Full of Sh**" American automakers :mad:

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
I read a review of the 05 Chrysler minivans somewhere, & the middle & rear seats have been modified so they fold flat into the floor. I'm pretty sure the review said that AWD was eliminated to accomodate these seats. I tried to confirm at the Chrysler website, but its confusing.

The Pacifica could have worked (& I give them credit for offering AWD) but it just tried to be too many things at once & ended up weighing 4400 pounds (yikes!) & feeling very underpowered as a result.

According to factory specs, it has 250 hp & 250 lbs-ft from a 3.5 6-cylinder... hmm, we'll be able to get those exact same power specs next year, in an AWD car weighing nearly 900 pounds less!! *grin*

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
2,408 Posts
Not surprisingly, those of us in the New York/New England area get constant Subaru commercials, especially in the early winter. They seem to run a balance of the safety ads (primarily for the forester), the Lance Armstrong ads, and these new action ads (with or without Mr. Armstrong). A major outlets for the ads: The Weather Channel and the local news weather report.

I agree; these ads are proliferating at this time in order to induce late season sales and make room for the new stable of 05s. Man, I could get a great deal right now, BUT I'm waiting for the Outback XT to arrive. I figure if I end up not liking it (yeah, right! :p ) there'll probably still be some 04 leftovers.

By the way, I'll never buy a Honda, just because I hate their advertising. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts