Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
You can buy the 2018 Subaru "Tribeca" now, it's called the Toyota Highlander.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Going for a precise year is kind of a big deal.

That Highlander rumor is an old one that I have not heard in a long time.

Getting Toyota hybrid tech would be nice. That has been a more consistent rumor, along with a new and smaller H6.

It is anyone's guess right now. But with Lafayette as the confirmed production site, not Princeton, I think we can leave the Highlander speculation behind.

Of course, that vehicle matters a great deal to me, but for this forum the more appropriate question is if its new powerplant will replace the current Outback H6/CVT combo in 2018 or in 2020. With generation III they chose to stay with the old H6/5EAT combo for the last year and half of that model.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree that we can probably put the Highlander rumors to rest. I don't think Subaru would go with a transverse engine layout that would make "symmetrical AWD" impossible or "Impossibaru". :grin2:

It may end up looking like a Highlander (two-box midsize SUV shape), like some said the current Forester looked like a RAV4 (I disagreed). While Toyota and Subaru do have a relationship, I think Subie will make effort to stay as unique as possible.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not terrible names. Though I'd expect "sojourn" to be the name of a retro-styled futurecar with oval wheels and a Pontiac badge out front.

At least they didn't call it "Firefox." Already enough SUVs sharing names with web browsers.... Explorer, Safari, Navigator, Aviator...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Those names don't do much for me. Maybe it's me being Canadian, but Subaru Shield sounds OK (named after the geological region Canadian Shield). It's in central Canada, known for rugged wilderness, great views and camping; akin to the Outback...

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Look's like Subaru is trying to copy 2016 Volvo XC90.

I wouldn't read too much into that picture. Looks like the just ran a shot of the old viziv concept car from a couple years back.

Allegedly that concept will give some of its style to the new car, but I wouldn't look too closely.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Not terrible names. Though I'd expect "sojourn" to be the name of a retro-styled futurecar with oval wheels and a Pontiac badge out front.

At least they didn't call it "Firefox." Already enough SUVs sharing names with web browsers.... Explorer, Safari, Navigator, Aviator...

"Sojourn" is also very close to "Sojourner" the Mars Pathfinder of 1997.

Cute about the web browsers, though I think the Explorer was used on an SUV before 1995.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look's like Subaru is trying to copy 2016 Volvo XC90.
Not that I necessarily would have a problem with that. That new XC90 is gorgeous.

I'm honestly anticipating to see how this turns out. Not sure about the names, but hey...if it's a decent model, I can get used to it.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
XC90 styling with a subaru price tag. Sounds great! The XC90 MSRP base is 50k, adding options quickly puts it over 60k. Add in the hybrid, you are over 70k real quick.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
XC90 styling with a subaru price tag. Sounds great! The XC90 MSRP base is 50k, adding options quickly puts it over 60k. Add in the hybrid, you are over 70k real quick.
It does! A hybrid version under 50k would be very appealing. I would not expect a starting price lower than just under 40k though (like 38,900 or something!).

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
True, true. The MSRP on the tribeca was $34k, so it makes sense this will be starting near 40k. But the Tribeca's 'base' was pretty nice to start with!

·
Registered
109 Posts
True, true. The MSRP on the tribeca was $34k, so it makes sense this will be starting near 40k. But the Tribeca's 'base' was pretty nice to start with!

I guess I should start saving my pennies now. We have a Dodge Grand Caravan that we'll be done paying off about a year after this will be on the market, just enough time for them to work all the first year kinks out.

·
Premium Member
2,770 Posts
Hopefully SOA makes it with a 5K tow rating and can officially use WDHs.
Don't hold your breath. That would require significant changes to the current drivetrain lineup.
Why not? Subaru already packaged an OB into a 7 pax and failed (though I have had two of those and they are great in many ways). Rumors suggest--and logic dictates--that the new 7 pax, now engineered specifically for the US market, will be a "proper" 7 pax vehicle rather than a repackaged Outback with a heavy duty suspension. Having a 5k tow rating should be part of the package. Not to mention that the current OB ratings in the US are artificially low. The vehicle is rated far higher elsewhere. In Australia my car has nearly 400lb tongue weight rating!

Personally, I would be disappointed if it does not come with 5k even though that won't affect us (as we have ruled out anything other than a really lightweight cargo trailer).

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
The fact that they de-rate for the US market is the main reason I wouldn't hold my breath. Even if the build the structure, they will give it soft soccer mom springs. If they don't, no one will buy it. Also, I would doubt that the 3.6/CVT combo would be up to the task with the extra vehicle weight required to get a true 7 pax vehicle. The third row in the Tribeca is a joke. Hopefully, they don't repeat that mistake.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts