Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,343 Posts

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Pets controlling / driving your car? Nah.
Reminds me of WW-II, when renowned behavioral research psychologist B.F. Skinner demonstrated that pigeons could be trained to "fly" (i.e. keep upright and navigate) Link trainers, and presumably real airplanes and cruise missiles, as well or better than human pilots. The Generals were not receptive.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Autonomous cars can't get here soon enough.

The upsides far outweigh the Luddite's paranoid delusions that they can out perform a computer..
The big crunch (pun intended) will come during the decade-or-so transition period, when there is a variable mix of rule-observant autonomous vehicles and anarchic human drivers sharing the road.
My problem with autonomous vehicles isn't fear that the technology won't be good enough or that it will be dangerous. I just don't want to lose my freedom to drive, and autonomous vehicles will be the starting point to taking that away, one way or the other. There will be a transition, but eventually new vehicles won't even have human-interface mechanical controls. And even if humans actually driving isn't made illegal, I think it will become viewed as something so dangerous that the liability insurance costs of choosing to manually drive will price most people out of the option.

Autonomous cars will arrive in my lifetime, but hopefully the resulting consequences will be delayed just enough until I am too old to remember what I will be missing out on.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Every car manufacture has it's strong points. Subaru has always focused on safety. From eyesight to the new SGP frame. Everybody has gone to modular platforms but Subaru put some extra thought into theirs. Very strong and robust enough so it can meet safety standards into the future. I think 2026? Now lets focus on some better engine and transmission options and I will be completly satisfied. They seem obsessed with the infotainment thing now and while I like the upgrade in 17 with Impreza, new Forester, and Ascent(8inch) I think the 2020 Outback is trying to hard. Put a base engine in it with some guts. 7 more HP and the same TQ is lame IMO.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All good stuff but when the conversation turns to completely autonomous automobiles suddenly the thought of not having a person at the wheel becomes scary as if human error and inattentiveness never existed in the first place. Humans just seem to be a tough crowd to please.

Maybe that's because some of us that have worked as techs know how cheap most vehicle owners are. You're crazy if you think poorly maintained self driving cars are a good thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wrote a paper on Subaru advertising for a grad school class - their advertising reflects our own situation well, going from newly married to having kids, to now having future drivers - and the safety features are absolutely a strong sell to us. For instance, we realize our next car will be the one our kids learn to drive on, so instead of figuring out how rear facing carseats fit (I don't miss the days of two full size car seats in my husband's old RS!) we are considering the safety features for new drivers. Similarly, my parents are late 60s/early 70s and when they bought their new outback, they made sure to get Eyesight and other features (an 18 Limited, so I think it was still optional there.) It's not fully outsourcing responsibility of the driver, but react times go down with aging and having an assist is worth the money. I'd like to see the next ad feature boomers like my parents maintaining their driving independence more confidently with safety systems like eyesight. (And my folks are in great physical and mental health - currently on a month long golfing road trip in the southeast with that outback.)

·
Registered
453 Posts
The big crunch (pun intended) will come during the decade-or-so transition period, when there is a variable mix of rule-observant autonomous vehicles and anarchic human drivers sharing the road.

On the upside, we can still curse at and flip the bird to robo-cars!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I wrote a paper on Subaru advertising for a grad school class - their advertising reflects our own situation well, going from newly married to having kids, to now having future drivers - and the safety features are absolutely a strong sell to us. For instance, we realize our next car will be the one our kids learn to drive on, so instead of figuring out how rear facing carseats fit (I don't miss the days of two full size car seats in my husband's old RS!) we are considering the safety features for new drivers. Similarly, my parents are late 60s/early 70s and when they bought their new outback, they made sure to get Eyesight and other features (an 18 Limited, so I think it was still optional there.) It's not fully outsourcing responsibility of the driver, but react times go down with aging and having an assist is worth the money. I'd like to see the next ad feature boomers like my parents maintaining their driving independence more confidently with safety systems like eyesight. (And my folks are in great physical and mental health - currently on a month long golfing road trip in the southeast with that outback.)
We are in our 70s. One reason we bought our 2017 OB limited with eyesight was the technology and safety features. I will be considering a 2020 touring XT because of the newer safety features including a front camera, lane centering and driver's focus.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Check J.C. Whitney's web site in a few years.
I got those catalogs for years. Miss them sometimes as comical reading material. The stuffed animal for the rear window with lights for eyes that connect to the brake lights. :grin2:

But I also ordered parts from them at times. Of course with the Internet there are so many more options for parts now.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
Miss them sometimes as comical reading material.
Yep. Their ad copy for superficial "bling" accessories was sometimes over the top ... [strike]bulldust[/strike] hyperbole raised to the level of fine art.

But I also ordered parts from them at times.
They listed some things in their catalogs that were hard to find anywhere else. As recently as the 1980s they were still selling body panels and mechanical parts for Model T and Model A Fords.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
My problem with autonomous vehicles isn't fear that the technology won't be good enough or that it will be dangerous. I just don't want to lose my freedom to drive, and autonomous vehicles will be the starting point to taking that away, one way or the other. There will be a transition, but eventually new vehicles won't even have human-interface mechanical controls. And even if humans actually driving isn't made illegal, I think it will become viewed as something so dangerous that the liability insurance costs of choosing to manually drive will price most people out of the option.

Autonomous cars will arrive in my lifetime, but hopefully the resulting consequences will be delayed just enough until I am too old to remember what I will be missing out on.
On the other hand, the entitled baby boomer generation - of which I am squarely in the middle - will be the first generation to never have to give up personal automobiles for their transportation needs.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Man people love to complain. Don't like the "They lived" commercials. Well you're due your dislikes and I will respect that. Me... I am one of those commercials. Sitting in my Outback with my wife at a stoplight and here comes a Ford F-250 not even slowing. I had time to yell Sit back!" to my wife then slammmm! Didn't even slow down. Blew out the entire back half of the car. Luckily my kids were not in there! When they hit us it surprised them because they must've hit the pedal thinking it was the brake because they slammed us again. We were pushed into the car in front of us and ended up totaling their Volkswagen. When all settled my wife and I got out of the car. The people in the Volkswagen, they didn't. They ended up getting taken to the emergency room from their injuries (They weren't faking because i helped the driver who started vomiting)

Kicker... when the police and the tow truck company arrived, they both said to us "They lived, now I get it". Commercials hit home sometimes and become a staple of things. I attribute a lot of the walking away with minor issues to everything from the car build to the way it reacted in the accident to the support of the seating. Me, I dig the commercials because it's more than just me or my kids hitting someone and think that it brought a lot of light on the safety of the brand.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Me... I am one of those commercials.
I likewise have a story to tell. I was hit from behind at perhaps 50 MPH by a 4,000 lb. Jeep Cherokee while stopped at a stoplight in my fisrt OB, a 2005 Gen 3. My car jumped forward 70 feet, and both the driver and passenger seat backs broke - that's how hard we were hit. But I got out and walked away; my passenger likewise, although he had a few facial cuts from glass flying forward from the shattered rear window.

More details of damage here:

https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/...ml#post3633682

Another driver who saw it all and stopped to help had a similar reaction like that of the police with the previous poster - and in fact he explained that he had a teenager starting to drive, he was starting to look for an extra car in the family, and he would be heavily influenced by what he had just witnessed.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I dunno about you guize, but I'll be the one out there in their stinky old manual transmission truck messing around with the automated cars. It's gonna be a blast!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I spent 15+ years driving Saabs and the #1 reason I always gave for "why do I drive them" was safety. I can't remember the number of stories I have heard of how a Saab saved someone's life ... and keep in mind, this was before all the current tech (Saab died in 2011).

I have to admit that when I started looking at Subaru again (I was trying to buy an Outback when I first got into Saab), I completely forgot about their safety ratings.

In my 35 years of driving, I have been involved in 2 accidents; the first I was rear ended and the Saab totaled (I had a trailer on the back) and the second was a minor accident where I rear ended another car in slippery conditions (almost made it to a stop). But I am glad that I am again in one of the safest cars out there!!!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I got those catalogs for years. Miss them sometimes as comical reading material. The stuffed animal for the rear window with lights for eyes that connect to the brake lights. :grin2:

But I also ordered parts from them at times. Of course with the Internet there are so many more options for parts now.
and if you bought everything that promised a 10% horsepower gain along with 10% better MPG, we would all have 1000 HP cars getting a 1000 MPG.....:grin2:

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
I spent 15+ years driving Saabs and the #1 reason I always gave for "why do I drive them" was safety. I can't remember the number of stories I have heard of how a Saab saved someone's life ... and keep in mind, this was before all the current tech (Saab died in 2011).

I have to admit that when I started looking at Subaru again (I was trying to buy an Outback when I first got into Saab), I completely forgot about their safety ratings.

In my 35 years of driving, I have been involved in 2 accidents; the first I was rear ended and the Saab totaled (I had a trailer on the back) and the second was a minor accident where I rear ended another car in slippery conditions (almost made it to a stop). But I am glad that I am again in one of the safest cars out there!!!
I used to work with a guy that only drove Saab's. When I asked about his love for them, his answer was because he only lived 2 miles from a Saab mechanic. :grin2:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used to work with a guy that only drove Saab's. When I asked about his love for them, his answer was because he only lived 2 miles from a Saab mechanic. :grin2:
I knew a lot of people who had problems with their Saabs ... but I blame that more on the previous owners who didn't take care of them properly. :surprise:

None of mine ever gave me any trouble and I was never gentle to them and drove them a lot ... but I did maintain them.

·
Registered
6,296 Posts
and if you bought everything that promised a 10% horsepower gain along with 10% better MPG, we would all have 1000 HP cars getting a 1000 MPG.....
There were occasional problem reports that the fuel economy improved so spectacularly that the fuel tank would overflow after less than a hundred miles of driving. :)

21 - 40 of 42 Posts