Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subaru Tuning that affects CVT Operations & Performance by Xtreme Racing Tuning (XRT)
XRT have continue to master the operations and performance of the CVT through tuning and customer feedback and based on the results, were are offering that edge in tuning CVT models like what we did to the 5EAT and the 4EAT.

Generally, the following are expected when tuned (The Transmission Computer is not tuned):

• Quicker shifting
  • Firmer shifting
  • Appropriate gear selection for less labouring or load on the engine
  • Less ping/knocking due to the transmission wanting to be in high gear all the time.
  • Less pedal moving to make the transmission shifting
  • Better fuel mileage
  • Easy over-taking and maneuvering due to quicker acceleration due to the above points.

XRT Offers additional stages for CVT tuning.

• Stage 1 allows the transmission to shift and operate more efficiently
  • Stage 2 offers greater shifting and operations. This is the mode many requires if you want to have full control when the transmission shift for hill climbing, racing, over-taking etc.
  • Stage 3 offers increase response and less throttle lag. Direct throttle control. Now you maybe able to spin those tires on moving off or get that maximum torque to the ground.

Videos of the CVT operations after Xtreme Racing Tuning tuning!

Playlist

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That maybe true, but really no need. CVT owners know the car performance. I will ask but if someone who can do it, post it up.

Don't you have one?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
That maybe true, but really no need. CVT owners know the car performance. I will ask but if someone who can do it, post it up.
True That...right? There's certainly a difference.

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
Looks and sounds good. I'd only be worried about a dealer detecting the flash and it becoming a warranty issue.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
102 Posts
What's the pricing on this?
How is the performance under typical driving conditions? My biggest gripe right now is the stutter after the fake shifts.
Can the fake shift points be eliminated all together?

You can return the car to the stock rom on such visits.
Can you provide some more detail on this?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will just use the ecuflash to reload the stock tune that came with the car.

Right now I am looking at a 2.5. All I would say woow. There are so many maps for the CVT. Some may not be used, but more for the 2.5i than for the 3.6 and WRX. I literally have to take a break.

Its ver much possible to eliminate. I have to wait until I finish the definition on the CVT to see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The videos above are mine. I really don't see a reason to put up a stock tune video when everyone is driving around on stock already. I suppose a side by side may be useful, but ..... watch the video on your phone just before you do a WOT run and you can get the same thing.

I've spent 18 hours in the last two nights driving hundreds of miles, working with XRT on this. So..... going out and driving on a stock rom to show those driving around on stock roms is not high on my things to do list at this moment. lol. I hope you understand.

I will try to get to it though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What's the pricing on this?
How is the performance under typical driving conditions? My biggest gripe right now is the stutter after the fake shifts.
Can the fake shift points be eliminated all together?

Can you provide some more detail on this?
I put an emphasis on getting 'typical' driving conditions optimized. So while there are other areas that have been optimized the area used most (typical driving) has been dialed in nicely.

It is most represented in the v8c video, while the v7 and v8a show other areas of optimization.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,695 Posts
I'm kind of laughing at the notion of "tuning" CVT programming on a 175 hp/174 ft-lb car with 3,800 pounds of car, fuel, and driver. :)

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
102 Posts
You will just use the ecuflash to reload the stock tune that came with the car.

Right now I am looking at a 2.5. All I would say woow. There are so many maps for the CVT. Some may not be used, but more for the 2.5i than for the 3.6 and WRX. I literally have to take a break.

Its ver much possible to eliminate. I have to wait until I finish the definition on the CVT to see.
Are the videos from a 2.5 or 3.6? So you're saying that a tune for the 2.5 is currently a work in progress?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vids are for the 3.6.

I am attempting work on the 2.5i. I am creating the definition for me.to work on. But the many dbw maps is enormous. I took a break from it.

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
I'm kind of laughing at the notion of "tuning" CVT programming on a 175 hp/174 ft-lb car with 3,800 pounds of car, fuel, and driver. :)
Had the exact same thoughts when I first read this thread earlier today.

Not sure how one promises quicker, firmer shifts from a shiftless transmission......

·
Banned
6,270 Posts
Probably similar to the way Subaru provides shitty sloppy shifts from the factory.
Subaru hasn't provided any shifts from the factory.

All they have provided is software to make you think the CVT is shifting. As a CVT doesn't shift, you cannot tune it to shift quicker or firmer. All you can do is change the software to make you think it is shifting quicker or firmer.

It's all smoke and mirrors and doing little more than appease those that do not understand the CVT. A continuously variable transmission is meant to function smoothly and seamlessly throughout the torque curve and not have pretend shift points.

Reactions: ERE
N

·
0 Posts
What would happen to mileage and acceleration if you took the "shifts" totally out? Also, could it be programmed to be, let's say, an "8 speed?" Just wondering what the limitations are on programming this thing...

1 - 20 of 114 Posts