Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seem to be an increasing amount of Subaru's used for expo/camping use. I may be purchasing an OBXT and will be using it for family exploration and I feel that it will suit my needs fairly well except for one issue, battery power. The stock battery location limits size quite a bit and the need for two batteries to power my Engel/Norcold MT17 will likely be needed. In my Montero I was able to use a single Group 31 to power the truck and the fridge for the entire summer with no extra power but I can't see this happening with the limited size of battery in the factory location. So who is running a fridge and has come up with a battery solution for the Subaru platform?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
566 Posts
I'm not running a fridge but I recently bought a marine battery which I will place in the rear floorboard area and plug in a power adapter with multiple 12-V/USB outlets to power my battery chargers, phone, radio scanner, etc., for my camping expeditions. I sleep in the back and sometime use a small fan in the warmer months. I've run the car battery down several times, however I recently discovered that the culprit seemed to be an Ultraguage that I have installed. I changed the settings where it completely shuts down when the car is off and haven't had any problems since.

This "camping" battery may be overkill (unless I run the fan a lot) but will give me piece of mind.

I would prefer to install a second battery under the hood and charge with an isolator, however there is no room.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts