Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im 18 years old and in college i just bought my first subaru, a 1997 legacy outback. my dad owns a rally blue 2005 wrx. were both in love with it. back to my car. my mother and father drove up to pick up the legacy. on the way home my dad (in the legacy) stopped at a light followed by my mother in her car (a Chevy equinox) all of a sudden a ford e150 slammed in to the equinox knocking it in to my car at which point it bounced back in to the van and was again slammed into the legacy. the front of the equinox was pretty busted up with the grill broken up the fender hanging off and a cracked headlight. surprisingly the legacy was unscathed with the exception of a few scratches on the bumper. everyone please share any stories about the impressive durability of their outbacks

·
Registered
115 Posts
Good to hear you're doing alright! Hope your mother is as well!

This reminds me of a story a few years ago with my LGT wagon...one night, a few years ago, I was coming home from work. It was minus 10 degrees, so my balls had shriveled to the size of oranges. ;) I did a [email protected]$$ job of scraping my windshield (not the side windows or rear), and set off for my 15 mile journey home. I was at a stop light about 2 blocks from work on a one way facing East. When the light turned green, I decided last second to take a left. BAM!!!! Mid-turn, a mini van slammed into me going about 20 mph (or so he says). This particular night, I was at wit's end, and had to refrain from going ape****. However, I was nice to the guy when I kindly told him I had to call it in.

The damage was only 1500 to my vehicle, with only the front quarter panel and passenger door damaged. No airbags went off (thankfully). In WA, it is VERY easy to earn a branded title, so I was pleased to see when I sold the car, the title was still in good standing.

By the way, his dodge caravan was completely effed. Both front tire/wheels were bent/flat, radiator spewing, all body parts on the front including driver's side door...When I was standing around, BS-ing with the guy before the cops came, I pointed to my car and told him, "That's why I drive a Subaru."

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
My '97 was rear ended and needed a rear bumper replacement but that was all. The other car had more damage but it was a pretty small car, can't recall now it's make or model.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Good to hear you're doing alright! Hope your mother is as well!

This reminds me of a story a few years ago with my LGT wagon...one night, a few years ago, I was coming home from work. It was minus 10 degrees, so my balls had shriveled to the size of oranges. ;)
With balls that size, do you honestly need a Subaru? You could have taken that guy head on in nothing, but a jock strap I suppose :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey!!! It's at least the size of a gummy worm! Give a homeboy some credit, here...

Do my man-boobs make up for any size issues? My answer is yes.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I was stopped in traffic when some ***** slammed into me. She was talking on the phone, figures. Her Saturn was ruined but the Outback came out with only a scuff from her license plate. Subaru FTW :5:

And the bumper of my old OBW, it's a hardly noticeable rectangular scuff near the bottom middle of the bumper.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Nobody's hit me yet (thankfully!), but I was once turning around on a mountain-top and backed straight into a tree (on an especially dark night, in my defense!). I thought I hit it pretty hard and got out bracing to see the damage. Not a scratch anywhere as far as I could tell...though the condition of the paint on my back bumper isn't too great anyway. I was definitely relieved!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I backed into a tree stump one snowy night making a small baseball sized crack(completely unnoticeable) It dropped my passenger side of the bumper down half an inch. A few days ago I installed universal rally armor mudflaps using the stock splash guard holes and it brought the bumper up back to stock level. Problem fixed:29::29::29::29:

In my old outback I was cutoff at 50 mph and slid sideways into a curb totaling the car (insane under carriage damage). I was able to drive her 4 miles back to my house thankfully. But at 10 mph and it couldnt turn left to well :28: She still drove though!!
RIP Mary Jane!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I too have experienced Subaru's durability. In late August i was T-boned on the passenger side by a Toyota Tundra. I was almost across the intersection when he nailed me going 55-60+. My head snapped back and smacked against the beam where the seat belt is. Left a pretty nasty gash in my scalp which required 7 stitches. My brain took a nice beating too. Two months after and im still feeling the effects

There was about 10 inches of actual passenger seat left. You could use the passenger door as an arm rest while in the drivers seat. Despite all the damage, the car still started up and was still "drivable". I use quotes because, well, the front right wheel was pretty bent so it didnt move very fast. My dad actually drove it on to a trailer in the condition that it's in. That alone is just miraculous.

My Subaru saved my life. R.I.P. Ollie
:loveawd:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sweet baby Jesus, that's pretty serious, Jordang! Glad you came out with minor damage to yourself!!!! Being a young guy, I'm laughed at by my friends because of my affinity for my mommy lezbaru. But when I look at their fanboi ricers, I wonder if they would have the same fate if they were slammed into by a full-size pickup. All joking aside, the safety ratings in these cars is enough reason alone to buy them.

I'd recommend stepping up to a GenIII, Jordang. They received serious reinforcements structurally, and some models, like the XT limited, have optional shoulder airbags that pop out of the seat. While I don't think a passenger would have died in that wreck (had a passenger been present), I 'm not sure it would be as happy of a story......Anyway, just a suggestion. Glad you're alright :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
we took a hard hit in the 2000 from a mid 90's buick from the rear, i was on the hooks HARD and no way could the buick stop, hit me at 35 at least, totaled the buick, i mean it had to be towed totaled, but no air bag deployment for the outback and only the rear bumper cover and brackets...

one tough car i say.

Jordang...theres a mint one thats a twin to ollie on e-bay right now...too bad it wasn't there when you needed a new one.

Dar

·
Registered
21 Posts
Chrome- Thanks! I hear the same jeers you do about driving a station wagon. No one truly understands until they own one.
some models, like the XT limited, have optional shoulder airbags that pop out of the seat
a shoulder air bag would have certainly helped my head!

1stgenfarmboy- I see twins all over the place! Almost makes me sad... :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
11 Participants
Jordang
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing