Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry that my first post is for help, but this is the last chance before I pour petrol over the thing and push it over a cliff.

It's a 2008 Subaru Exiga GT, so turbo with standard non-CVT auto. I'm not sure one which more common Subaru it's based; no-one seems to be able to give me an answer on that.

It will occasionally present an issue whereby the revs suddenly rise (as if under no load) then wallop as the load comes back on again. It feels like the driveshaft's popped out, then whacked back in - that's the only way I can describe it. It is not a surge or sudden jolt; it feels like nothing other than you've been hit at speed from behind. It terrifies any passengers.

As such, it makes the car pretty much undrivable for my wife, and I don't like it much either. It is very sporadic; we took it to the dealership twice - no error codes, the first time they flushed the trans (oil was filthy), second time they tried everything but cannot get it to misbehave.

They've said as soon as they can replicate it, they'll know what to do but currently they don't know where to start.

I thought it would do it when parked on a slight incline for a couple of minutes, but even with that info, the dealership couldn't replicate it.

I've searched this forum but can't find an answer I can take to the dealer - the other issues sound like irritating issues with a trans, rather than the near-death experience ours presents.

Any clues? And thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Simon aka Angusdog

I have the same car and same issue. Had it looked at and was told it was transmission. I am currently looking for a transmission in NZ

·
Registered
2 Posts
Kia ora
We had the same problem on our 09 Exiga GT ~110k. Started intermitent but then became a common occurrence. Showed as a turbine sensor and speed sensor fault. Mechanic removed and stripped torque converter and lockup linings were worn out - so they reconditioned it (and replaced faulting speed sensor). No surges since.

Hi did sort the issue for you ?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts