Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Limited Outback CVT 2.5i with OEM: Hitch, Hood Protector, & Remote Start.
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little "Lille" now has 33,000 on her. I resisted buying from my sealer/seller the extended warranty because it was over $2,500 dollars. I Googled extended warranty and came up with several threads other than what is posted on this Forum. I emailed the guy at a Subaru Dealer in MA and he responded. I put on Lot's of miles so based on my driving habits I chose a 5 year/100,000 warranty with $100 deductible. Subaru is going to cover my outback for 5 more years and it's going to cost me less than $1,000 over the 5 years. I gave them a credit card and they are going to deduct once a month for ten months 95 dollars...woohooo. PM me for details, do not want to step on any one's toes.
FWIT, this is the real deal that my dealer wanted to sell me at purchase...I Love Google...:eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
So my little "Lille" now has 33,000 on her. I resisted buying from my sealer/seller the extended warranty because it was over $2,500 dollars. I Googled extended warranty and came up with several threads other than what is posted on this Forum. I emailed the guy at a Subaru Dealer in MA and he responded. I put on Lot's of miles so based on my driving habits I chose a 5 year/100,000 warranty with $100 deductible. Subaru is going to cover my outback for 5 more years and it's going to cost me less than $1,000 over the 5 years. I gave them a credit card and they are going to deduct once a month for ten months 95 dollars...woohooo. PM me for details, do not want to step on any one's toes.
FWIT, this is the real deal that my dealer wanted to sell me at purchase...I Love Google...:eek:
Doesn't the 5 years start from the date you bought the car?

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Doesn't the 5 years start from the date you bought the car?
^This ... right ... here. Is what got me honkin' mad about the extended warranty.

I think, when I bought the car, they offered me something like 75k/7 year gold or some such for a tad under a grand (may have been 6 years).

So, I'm paying $1k for only 3 years of coverage? Nah, I'll pass.

·
Registered
2012 Impreza Sport Ltd 2013 Outback Limited SAP
1,495 Posts
From Subaru's link:

http://www.subaru.com/finance-center...ity-plans.html

How long does the service contract coverage last?
You can select the length of coverage that best suits your needs. You have a choice between eight different plan terms. You can even choose a plan that covers your Subaru until it is seven years old or has accumulated 100,000 odometer miles, whichever comes first. The plan term is calculated from the start of the factory warranty and at zero miles.

I agree, Google is your friend; however, one must use Google correctly. You are looking at an additional 2 years for the policy that you purchased - NOT 5. Price for coverage and $100 deductible ($950), IMHO, is not all that great.

G-

·
Registered
2013 3.6R SAP BBP Outback
717 Posts
And, keep in mind the powertrain is already covered by the factory warranty for 5 years/60,000 miles; engine, transmission, driveshaft, differentials, etc. A 5 year extended warranty will only be useful for the other parts of the car; it won't add anything to the factory warranty for the drivetrain if going by time.

·
Registered
2012 Limited Outback CVT 2.5i with OEM: Hitch, Hood Protector, & Remote Start.
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
extended warranty & mileage

Thanks for all the kind comments.
I drive alot, at least 22,000/year or so. I've had my new 2012 for 17 months and she has 33,000 miles on her. Most warranty programs I know it's whatever comes first, the mileage term or the years. Since I put alot of miles on the car and will hit the 100,000 mile mark in my outback in less than 5 years, why would I pay for a 7 year plan? I picked my plan based on my driving habits. The manufacturer 3 years/36,000 will expire in 1-2 months. This is peace of mind for me as my livelihood depends on driving long distances. Last storm we had all the idiot lights came on. The dealer charged SUA over $300 to diagnose the electrical and reset the codes. Even if I had a method of reading codes, if it needs work done I am going to have to pay for it. I'm hoping nothing goes wrong over the next 3-4 years. But if the CVT goes out or something major comes my way, the peace of mind that it is covered by Subaru is well worth the money spent on an extended policy. To each his own. When I bought the car the dealer tried to sell me an inferior warranty for $2,500 which is not in my best interest. I found one that works for me. Happy trails.
:rolleyes:
And, keep in mind the powertrain is already covered by the factory warranty for 5 years/60,000 miles; engine, transmission, driveshaft, differentials, etc. A 5 year extended warranty will only be useful for the other parts of the car; it won't add anything to the factory warranty for the drivetrain if going by time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for all the kind comments.
I drive alot, at least 22,000/year or so. I've had my new 2012 for 17 months and she has 33,000 miles on her. Most warranty programs I know it's whatever comes first, the mileage term or the years. Since I put alot of miles on the car and will hit the 100,000 mile mark in my outback in less than 5 years, why would I pay for a 7 year plan? I picked my plan based on my driving habits. The manufacturer 3 years/36,000 will expire in 1-2 months. This is peace of mind for me as my livelihood depends on driving long distances. Last storm we had all the idiot lights came on. The dealer charged SUA over $300 to diagnose the electrical and reset the codes. Even if I had a method of reading codes, if it needs work done I am going to have to pay for it. I'm hoping nothing goes wrong over the next 3-4 years. But if the CVT goes out or something major comes my way, the peace of mind that it is covered by Subaru is well worth the money spent on an extended policy. To each his own. When I bought the car the dealer tried to sell me an inferior warranty for $2,500 which is not in my best interest. I found one that works for me. Happy trails.
:rolleyes:
Hopefully you're not rolling your eyes at my reply, as I was just trying to get clarity (I'm buying an extended warranty myself this weekend). Your post said "Subaru is going to cover my outback for 5 more years", which doesn't appear to be true, as you've had the car for 17 months. They'll cover it for about 3.5 more years. Doesn't mean it didn't make sense for you---as you said, it can provide some peace of mind in a very high mileage scenario.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
The good thing is that if you sell your car, before time limit, you can get the refund of premium paid from the issuing dealer. I've got mine (refund), when I sold my 2010 Forester before the gold warranty time expiration.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts