·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i
3,046 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,401 Posts
It will have a low range transfer case with locking differentials and 35" bead locked mud terrain tires and pneumatic jacks at all 4 corners, air springs for variable ground clearance. It will put the Bronco to shame.

Here's the Crosstrek Wilderness prototype undergoing testing:

·
Registered
190 Posts
It will have a low range transfer case with locking differentials ... It will put the Bronco to shame.

Here's the Crosstrek Wilderness prototype undergoing testing:
Yeah, no kidding! We aren't as lucky as the Australians.

They are keeping the 8 or 9 or 10 speed automatic that will replace their CVT's a secret for now :)
That would be wonderful.

·
Registered
2022 OB Tour 2.5 "OB3",Green, 20 mm RSB, Vred HighTrac tires, (3rd OB). City car is Kia Niro PHEV
698 Posts
Guessing Evoltis will be based on Venza, which could be a good place to start
Wish there were more info on potential of Hybrid Outback. But I'm guessing that will need to wait 5 years for next platform which will likely be designed with adequate space for battery pack without compromising cargo space. Feels way too long for me to wait for my next car which will be a hybrid.
So far the closest available or projected car that has Outback size, cargo space/utility, comfort and safety features appears to be a toss up between the RAV-4 Hybrid and CR-V Hybrid. Both are close but don't quite match the overall goodness of Outback IMO. I'm hoping maybe the 2021 KIA Sorento Hybrid will make the grade 🤞

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
IIRC the new global platform was designed to have enough room for hybrid and also all-electric battery packs.If that is true, it would be possible for Evoltis to use the S. NGP instead of a Toyota platform.

If Evoltis is based on a non-Subaru platform, I'd think it would become less likely that we see a change back to using a S. platform for subsequent, larger electric cars, and for that matter, why continue with a Subaru platform for anything? In that event, I'd expect major and irreversible brand degradation via badge engineering, beginning 2030+.

There's no mention of hybrids on that slide, and as we know S. is way behind on that. Maybe their plate is full with future electric cars, or the plan is to skip hybrids and goo full speed into electrics? With the first 2 Crosstrek hybrids, neither of which sold worth a hoot, IIRC S. took care to point out they had developed an in-house hybrid system. But in the current situation, you gotta figure that Toyota would like to sell S. some of their hybrid tech.

(Edit: I have been browsing Wiki and there it is claimed that the 2019 Crosstrek hybrid already borrows systems from Toyota: Subaru - Wikipedia : Subaru was among the few makes lacking any electric models. In the U.S., the short-lived Crosstrek hybrid was on the market only for the 2014 to 2017 model years.[59] In 2018, for the 2019 model year, Subaru unveiled the 2019 model year Crosstrek Plug-in Hybrid,[60] based in large part on technology from shareholder Toyota's Prius Prime platform. The EV range is 27 km (17 mi). It is only available in California and parts of the East Coast. A full EV is in the works and promised in 2020, for 2021 model year.[61] ).

Maybe I am wrong, but I don't expect Evoltis to much resemble the concept drawings or show cars. That would be way too racy for the Subaru image, plus S. has a decades-long habit of showing really nifty concept cars, which end up having almost no relation to the production model.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
19,401 Posts
I'm wondering what the "BMC" and "FMC" mean following some of the model names.:unsure:
BMC literally is "Big Minor Change" and means mid-cycle refresh

FMC means Full Model Change, like what happened in 2020 with the Outback in the USA.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
34 Posts
So, if you've noticed most of the articles and Instagram post have been taken down. I reached out to one of the authors who said that Subaru of America sent them an email saying it was unauthorized information that had been leaked. My guess is that the info was real, likely proprietary information, and that now we just need to wait for more official information!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.