Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Subaru Outback, 2.5L H4, 5-Speed Manual
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I wanted to share a sort of "infotainment mod" I had come up with to see what people thought of it.

I basically stripped out the old stock head units and storage compartments and relocated the Climate controls beneath. I then installed a LTE iPad mini 2 I got on eBay and a cheap Bluetooth head unit from Walmart for 20 bucks and arranged it where the stock stuff was.

Essentially I end up with these features as a result...
- fully trackable (find my iPhone gives pinpoint location of my car)
- NAV (I use waze)
- Music, pandora, SoundCloud, radio etc....
- notes to track mpg and other stuff
- much more (anything an iPad can do)

Tell me what you think!

Thanks, Tyler.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005, Subaru Outback 3.0r LL BEAN
185 Posts
This is a great idea!! I have thought about doing this, or using a 7" touch screen and control my raspberry pi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a great idea!! I have thought about doing this, or using a 7" touch screen and control my raspberry pi.

It works beautifully and was WAYYYY cheaper then a normal headunit. Less money going out means happy me. Haha

·
Premium Member
2006 Outback Sedan LLBean
626 Posts
I'm so pissed that I have the LLBean with the all in one head unit and HVAC controls. What a freakin headache! Bluetooth over FM sucks. Especially with the poor antenna this has to begin with!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
But your setup is great tho. Barely notice those HVAC controls!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm so pissed that I have the LLBean with the all in one head unit and have controls. What a freakin headache! Bluetooth over FM sucks. Especially with the poor antenna this has to begin with!

I've seen people be able to buy some sort of "aftermarket" trim for those. In order to do something like I did. My friend has the same thing in his car and he would 100% agree with you haha.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I've seen people be able to buy some sort of "aftermarket" trim for those. In order to do something like I did. My friend has the same thing in his car and he would 100% agree with you haha.

Yeah there's a piece of trim for these with a double DIN opening. It's only made by Subaru for the JDM cars so the flasher is on the opposite side. It's apparently not to bad but bad enough to reroute wires and button. Just a sucky situation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But your setup is great tho. Barely notice those HVAC controls!

Thanks! It's pretty much final but I may redo the trim in black or something and patch up that hole. .

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm so pissed that I have the LLBean with the all in one head unit and HVAC controls. What a freakin headache! Bluetooth over FM sucks. Especially with the poor antenna this has to begin with!

This is the dash setup on my LL bean 05.... :D
It's a slide out touch screen single din with a CB single din under it.... it's works perfectly... although I WANT to move it around and move my CB to the upper din... and get a double din stereo.

Anyways it IS possible to put an aftermarket stereo in an LL bean... it just takes A LOT of work....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

This is the dash setup on my LL bean 05.... :D
It's a slide out touch screen single din with a CB single din under it.... it's works perfectly... although I WANT to move it around and move my CB to the upper din... and get a double din stereo.

Anyways it IS possible to put an aftermarket stereo in an LL bean... it just takes A LOT of work....

How did you separate the heater and AC controls?

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you separate the heater and AC controls?

I bought the JDM HVAC controls and an I88 wire harness and rerouted all the wires.
Only complaint is how dim the screen is. But you get used too it.

In that picture, the TOP (it's upside down) is the HVAC controls.

And this is how it looked for a while while I waited for my stereo to be shipped.

It's not hard, just, for the CB it was a little more complicated because it required me to connect it to (cont power) and (switched power) and I needed to read the pinouts on the wires...

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
I bought the JDM HVAC controls and an I88 wire harness and rerouted all the wires.
Only complaint is how dim the screen is. But you get used too it.

In that picture, the TOP (it's upside down) is the HVAC controls.

And this is how it looked for a while while I waited for my stereo to be shipped.

It's not hard, just, for the CB it was a little more complicated because it required me to connect it to (cont power) and (switched power) and I needed to read the pinouts on the wires...

HVAC screen is dim? Funny thing, for me my radio (stock) has gone dim in the past year or so. Like I can read it at nite only. HVAC screen is bright as normal. I tried playing with the dash lite fader to no avail. Also, is the JDM HVAC control separate from the rest of the radio unlike ours? Why replace the controls instead of cutting the plastic trim between the radio and HVAC control? Or does the JDM part have a more finished look?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes the HVAC screen is dim.
Perhaps it's not a COB LED like the USDM HVAC units? I can't tell, it looks to me like the JDM one has a 3528 LED behind it and that's why it's not as bright. I could be wrong tho.
I am SUPER picky with my bulbs and LEDs, I ONLY get certain types, so this is just waiting for it to fail so I can pull it apart and see how she tick.
It could be the incandescent bulbs used In the USDM stereo that are not as bright as they used to be, or it could also be dust.
Either way, my firm belief is that the Macintosh head units Subarus come stock with... SUCK! Now that isn't saying anything bad to Macintosh, because as far as I can remember they have been top dog, but I think they cheaped out on the HUs because they cannot handle a load at all....

Do you have the link to Oder the JDM HVAC controls? There is a write up (stickied?) somewhere on these forums.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L/SE Wagon (5 Speed)
179 Posts
Hello everybody. I wanted to share a sort of "infotainment mod" I had come up with to see what people thought of it.

I basically stripped out the old stock head units and storage compartments and relocated the Climate controls beneath. I then installed a LTE iPad mini 2 I got on eBay and a cheap Bluetooth head unit from Walmart for 20 bucks and arranged it where the stock stuff was.

- fully trackable (find my iPhone gives pinpoint location of my car)
- NAV (I use waze)
- Music, pandora, SoundCloud, radio etc....
- notes to track mpg and other stuff
- much more (anything an iPad can do)

Tell me what you think!

Thanks, Tyler.

That's a great set up!

Where did you get that shifter by the way? It's some of the best matching wood I've seen

·
Registered
1 Posts

• fully trackable (find my iPhone gives pinpoint location of my car)
  • NAV (I use waze)
  • Music, pandora, SoundCloud, radio etc....
  • notes to track mpg and other stuff
  • much more (anything an iPad can do)

Tell me what you think!

Thanks, Tyler.

Hey Tyler,
Your install looks really good man! Did you have to adjust the length of the heater control cable when you moved it down to its new location?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts