Subaru Outback Forums banner

Subaru genuine steel engine guard

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  SilverOnyx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
I'm sure this question has been asked but I could not find it and I am not a forum wizard like some of you.

I just got a 2020 outback and plan to take it on some light dirt roads. I know a stock outback is no rock crawler, but there is a real chance of some light bottoming out with the outbacks low approach angle. I was planning on getting subaru's Steel engine gaurd and rear dif gaurd.
Part# E515SAN010

My question is, is it worth it? I know there are lots of third party amazing skid plates out there. But i don't plan on lifting this car and slapping K02s on it. I just need protection if I hit a spot that is a little steep or deap. Do you think the OEM steel guard will cut it? Or do I need to shell out the big bucks for a real skid plate?

Thank you!

#4 ·
I have the exact same question @Scubinewb

What did you end up doing?
Looking at all the options and coming to terms with that I will never lift the car I dont want to do one of those big 3rd party plates. The outback nose is already long and losing an inch on the front is a big deal. I chose to just get the OEM aluminum guard. It adds a little piece of mind while keeping you honest about what the car is realistically capable of.

I crunched the numbers and in order to make a new subaru into a off road beast you would be better off getting some 1995-2010 true offloaded that you can beat up and would be more capable.

The aluminum front guard is enough to take a scrape or plow some snow just fine.

Thats my thought.

#5 ·
Thanks! I don't have the turbo so I was going to get the steel plate... Any idea what kind of a hit on MPG that would take? I think I'm just going to do it for peace of mind. I feel like its probably a similar weight as a hitch so maybe it would shave ~2mpg off.

#7 ·
You think a hitch would take off 2mpg? I have no idea but that seems like a lot. The hitch or steel plate don't weigh that much. I can't imagine if a driver gained 20-40 lbs that the mpg would take that kind of a hit. Haha.

The oem steel and aluminum guards are pretty much the same shape as the plastic one and are flush to the body work. So aerodynamics won't change. Just a bit of weight. I don't think you will see a difference. But I'm no pro.

#11 ·
This is the front steel underguard installed:

This is the rear steel differential underguard:

Reactions: Saab
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.