Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 Subaru outback sport impreza that is doing the hard shifting and trouble getting going from a stop to a start. Looked it up and seems like a known issue, not sure if it can be really fixed or not but I do plan on getting it looked at. But if it is just something I end up having to deal with, is it still safe to drive? I have to drive from Pennsylvania to Oregon in a month so I am worried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is it an automatic or standard?

My 95 legacy, 2.2 auto was shifting a little tough when I bought it (140k). ATF was not as clean as I would like, was burned, so we drained it, changed the pan seal, the big metal filter and even pulled the tube that drained the torque converter as much has we could while we had the pan off replacing the seal.

Shifts much smoother, even when cold.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,342 Posts
is the car new to you? any wrecks or service done before this began?

check ATF fluid - must be checked while idling.

It's the yellow handle on the left (US driver's side) of the engine at the rear. front diff is on the other side lower and further back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts