Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
This is one reason a lot of foreign companies do not like doing business in the US. Large companies like Subaru can handle it, but smaller ones can't.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
This is a bit on the ridiculous side. I don't think Subaru produced any bikes after 08, and even then they only made very few. So, I don't see where there is a competition between Subaru and Trek in the production and sale of bicycles, parts, accessories and apparel.

This could get ugly. Its doubtful Subaru will suffer sales. It is more likely that Trek will suffer, but not due to Subaru Crosstrek and the name, rather because of the stupidity of the suit. I mean really, Subaru is a top pick for outdoor enthusiasts and this suit alone has the capability for loyal owners of Subarus to maybe revert to use of other manufactured bikes.

What were they thinking? Should've left the greed at home.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
If Crosstrek was or is a registered trademark (by Trek Bicycle Company) and this will ever go to a trial and will be judged by a jury, Trek may win this case. Most likely, there will be some kind out of Court settlement. Jury trials cost both parties a lot of money in legal fees.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
OMG...I guess that puts the brakes on me naming my next dog, child...Crosstrek...I can't afford the legal fees for that...lol

Silly!:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Agree Trek is now up there with Specialized...time to support other companies like Airborne and Niner and a few others out there who make bikes just as good as the big boys and speced out better with better customer service as well..Mopartodd nailed it...frickin stupid!

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Let's see if we can help Subaru with some name suggestions in the event they lose in court.
Crosstrex
Crossdress
Crossroad
Crossbuck
Geocross
Crosseye
Epicross
Crossifiction

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
crosdress? wel it would stop it from being a lesbian car.

Copywrite also is weighed by product confusion, so two companies can use the same name. for drastically different products. I thiink this will be settled or go no where. This is Spechalized just protecting it's copywrite. If they did not do this it would weaken their case for any other suite against someone else.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Last time I checked, Bicycles and Cars are not the same. It would make sense for lawsuit if that was not the case. Otherwise it just shows how petty our legal system is. Yes America has way too many lawsuits. Makes Trek look like clowns. Sue me!:gasp:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I am on a mountain-bike forum and people there are going to either ditch their Trek bikes, or not buy one at all. Many are Subaru owners who see this as total BS. I am sure that Subaru will win this one. The lawyers are the real winners in this case..:28:

·
Registered
96 Posts
2 Treks (1 road, 1 MTN), & 1 Subaru in my garage.

This suit will be tossed out. Trek is a universal word. I also have a set of Treking poles I use for long hikes with steep decents.

A bit later I will make the trek back to my recliner and take a nap. Reading this stuff makes me tired.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Way back, maybe 10-15 years ago I seem to recall VW had a Jetta called "Trek Edition". The car came with a new bike in a roof rack.
Perhaps this can be resolved with a handshake by selling the Crosstrek with a Trek mounted on a roof rack?
I could be wrong about this, just hazy memory. Might be cheaper for both sides rather than haggling this in court.
Here are a couple..
http://www.lemonfree.com/cars/used-for-sale-Volkswagen.Jetta/trim-TREK
here is another with the special upholstery..
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/06/junkyard-find-1996-volkswagen-jetta-trek-edition/

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Way back, maybe 10-15 years ago I seem to recall VW had a Jetta called "Trek Edition". The car came with a new bike in a roof rack.
Perhaps this can be resolved with a handshake by selling the Crosstrek with a Trek mounted on a roof rack?
I could be wrong about this, just hazy memory. Might be cheaper for both sides rather than haggling this in court.
Here are a couple..
New and Used Volkswagen Jetta TREK for Sale at LemonFree.com
here is another with the special upholstery..
Junkyard Find: 1996 Volkswagen Jetta Trek Edition | The Truth About Cars
I briefed the suit and Trek uses the VW model you mention as one of their reasons for the suit. They feel that Subaru is taking advantage of the Trek name and causing confusion in the market place by making a CrossTrek vehicle.

Because the first thing I thought of when I heard of the car was, hmmm I wonder if that is a Subaru Mountain Bike for 20k. I need me one of those!:rolleyes:

What this suit is really about is Trek wants to use the name "CrossTrek" and they are upset the Subaru is trying to trademark it. It's not like when Apple got sued for using the IPhone name that was actually trademarked by another company at the time.

Silly Trek.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I wonder why Honda isn't taking heat for its "Crosstour"? That name has bicycle written all over it.
I'll try to answer my own question. No one is suing Honda because the Crosstour is so [email protected] ugly and no one is buying it.
Same goes for the Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet. Pure excrement.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I wonder why Honda isn't taking heat for its "Crosstour"? That name has bicycle written all over it.
I'll try to answer my own question. No one is suing Honda because the Crosstour is so [email protected] ugly and no one is buying it.
Same goes for the Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet. Pure excrement.
actually the crosstour is just crazy overpriced. I liked the looks of it, but then they told me it was north of $36k to get it with AWD. And the way Honda does their options, you wind up having to take a bunch of stuff you don't want to get the one thing you do want.

That said, the FWD version is selling well locally.

·
Premium Member
11,882 Posts
Whoever owns the rights to "Star Trek" shoud sue Trek bikes!
Good One! :29:

As for the VW Jetta, its mentioned in the suit. So is the sponsorship deal between Subaru and Trek.

For those that didn't read through, there is a list of "name" and "logo" in the suit. No where is "Crosstrek" listed. Their beef is only with the "...TREK" portion that may cause confusion. Really? 2 wheels vs 4 wheels. If they want to see a match up between 2 wheels and 4 wheels, have them come to Austin and cruise around downtown. Plenty of car vs bike here.

And yeah, Subaru beat them to the punch on the name so they have a "hissy fit".

Hey Trek, I'm giving away my Cross Country and getting a Scwinn. Or maybe a Murray. Don't they make lawn mowers? :eek:

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
actually the crosstour is just crazy overpriced. I liked the looks of it, but then they told me it was north of $36k to get it with AWD. And the way Honda does their options, you wind up having to take a bunch of stuff you don't want to get the one thing you do want.

That said, the FWD version is selling well locally.
I love Accords and briefly considered the Crosstour when shopping for a small SUV. Price was not an issue for Honda's reputation but the looks are polarizing.
No thanks and Crosstours are a rare sight in my area.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
First everyone wanted to be an 'SUV', now they want to be a 'crossover'.

Screw trends. I drive a WAGON.
It looks quirky, but not truly repulsive. (I used to think Outbacks were a little so, then Nissan reminded how to really make a butt ugly vehicle. I thought that kind of really tragic design was left behind us a long time ago.)
Sure, it can do OK off road, but I make no pretense that it is going to take me to incredible adventures off the beaten path. I also don't pretend that its going to project such a lifestyle for me. I would bet I do see more difficult driving conditions more often than most 'SUVs' and 'crossovers'.

Trek is probably not feeling relevant. Their brand used to reflect an idea of a serious rider - but now, everyone has one (like SUVs), so if they are worried about brand dilution they should consider something else to amend the situation.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
31 Participants
DrD
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing