Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I will offer 1 comment I hate about eyesite, I react better in San Diego traffic so I am constantly turning off automatic braking under driving assistance. I wish it would remember my choice!

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,719 Posts
If you find yourself always turning it off, don't turn it on in the first place. I've been driving with it for 7 years and I love it.

·
Registered
2021 Onyx Outback
70 Posts
If you find yourself always turning it off, don't turn it on in the first place. I've been driving with it for 7 years and I love it.
Unfortunately it defaults to on ever time you start your car. It's the one feature I dislike the most other than the auto stop which I fixed with a Auto Delete device.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,332 Posts
Everything works great for me. On those rare occasions where the car wants to brake for someone turning ahead of me, I have found that light pressure on the accelerator releases the brakes and presses on, unless, of course, you really are at risk of a collision and then the braking continues for good reason.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,849 Posts
Torque News is basically the Info Wars of the car world.

I wouldn't put much faith in the article.
and you are the Kanye West of the Outback World.

Reactions: Steveg203

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium
42 Posts
Work for a big insurance carrier. Lots of data out there showing benefit to AEB, LDW, etc. Those data are in aggregate though and the lawsuit specifically is about Subaru defects:

1) The new lawsuit against Subaru claims the automaker failed to warn customers about the automatic emergency braking system, which allegedly has defects with software calibration from multiple control modules. The plaintiffs say the brakes activate when there are no objects in front or behind the vehicle.
2)The new Subaru class-action lawsuit says the EyeSight's lane keep assist feature is also defective. It alleges errors in the system "correct the vehicle's steering when the driver is trying to change lanes, is driving on the road with construction barriers, or if the road has multiple lines due to construction."

There are several other things mentioned but it's hard to tell exactly what the count of the accusations are. #1 will be difficult to prove. #2 .... yeah I actually agree with number 2. It will prevent you from going across a line even when you are doing it because your lane is partially obstructed, for example the construction example. I guess this is kinda operation as intended, unfortunately ... it is lane departure prevention after all. I think we can look forward to a future with autonomous cars stopping entirely beyond a waiting-to-turn vehicle instead of proceeding past them like a human would, just because there's a line on the roadway it doesn't want to cross. Gonna be fun.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,719 Posts
Unfortunately it defaults to on ever time you start your car. It's the one feature I dislike the most other than the auto stop which I fixed with a Auto Delete device.
I assumed incorrectly that you were referring to the Adaptive Cruise part of EyeSight. I figured if your Subaru was automatic braking that often, you were referring to Adaptive Cruise control because in all my driving, I have never had the car automatically brake unless I was using Adaptive Cruise Control. If you find that your Subaru is braking that much that it anoys you, your system is broke or you tailgate.

Reactions: bloomz

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,969 Posts
I only have experience with Eyesight in our 2018 Forester, so it could be calibrated differently in the case of the Outback.
Overall, I like it very much. Is it perfect? No. But it seems to be generally more 'accurate' that the hybrid (radar/optical) system in my kid's 2018 Toyota RAV4.

Has it prevented me from going across a double yellow in the construction/obstruction event? It has fought me a bit, but not prevented me from steering out of my lane.

·
Registered
2021 Legacy Premium
97 Posts
Yah I generally love the lane keeping on Eyesight, it seems to have two modes, the first is like a resistance, where if your riding on the lane line, it prevents the car from crossing it but isn't really correcting it either (of course I notice and correct myself, but I love that as like a hey watch it mr). The second is when depending on your steering and the angle of your car vs the lines (construction is a perfect example) the car triggers the full on you left the lane warning and does attempt to notably correct the vehicle steering (again if your intentionally leaving the lane, this nudge while noticeable, is easily overridden by simply keeping your wheel at your intended position, it takes the hint. I have not had any incident of it forcefully turning or jerking the car in any manner I have not been expecting or would be unable to control. Only false positive I have had was when I was backing out of a parking spot in the rain, I panicked thinking I was gonna hit a car, but after thoroughly double checking my surroundings I went on fine, double panicked cause a car alarm started going off after my cross traffic alert beeped. Was a wtf moment because I knew I didn't hit a car but at the same time was like did I hit a car....:unsure::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium (Pre-Ordered)
173 Posts
Work for a big insurance carrier. Lots of data out there showing benefit to AEB, LDW, etc. Those data are in aggregate though and the lawsuit specifically is about Subaru defects:

1) The new lawsuit against Subaru claims the automaker failed to warn customers about the automatic emergency braking system, which allegedly has defects with software calibration from multiple control modules. The plaintiffs say the brakes activate when there are no objects in front or behind the vehicle.
2)The new Subaru class-action lawsuit says the EyeSight's lane keep assist feature is also defective. It alleges errors in the system "correct the vehicle's steering when the driver is trying to change lanes, is driving on the road with construction barriers, or if the road has multiple lines due to construction."

There are several other things mentioned but it's hard to tell exactly what the count of the accusations are. #1 will be difficult to prove. #2 .... yeah I actually agree with number 2. It will prevent you from going across a line even when you are doing it because your lane is partially obstructed, for example the construction example. I guess this is kinda operation as intended, unfortunately ... it is lane departure prevention after all. I think we can look forward to a future with autonomous cars stopping entirely beyond a waiting-to-turn vehicle instead of proceeding past them like a human would, just because there's a line on the roadway it doesn't want to cross. Gonna be fun.
This is actually something that fully auto cars have run into, and had to solve. Read an article about it a few years ago. Dunno if it's solved or not, but I'd bet it is.

·
Registered
2021 Legacy Premium
97 Posts
This is actually something that fully auto cars have run into, and had to solve. Read an article about it a few years ago. Dunno if it's solved or not, but I'd bet it is.
People don’t read their manual and get mad when the system operates as intended, unexpected to them. All those variables are mentioned explicitly in the manual for eyesight and even overall Subaru states to not rely on it and that a even weather conditions can impact eyesight and cause non optimal operations or lack thereof.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 2.5 w Eyesight
170 Posts
Lane keep is easy to turn off because the default IS off, and that is the one thing I don't tend to use due to a lot of urban driving in congested areas.

I accidentally turned it on once (using the steering wheel function) and wondered what the heck was happening until I realized it, but it more felt like my car was caught in road grooves than anything else.

You can set sensitivity and following distance for adaptive cruise, etc. The system works pretty well IMO.

Note if you SIGNAL your lane change, the lane keep does not adjust anything, it lets you change lanes. Go figure. Unfortunately, no system in any machine can compensate for idiots, but the court system will still hear them out.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Outback Limited w/ Eyesight, Wilderness Green
88 Posts
I'm a fan of Eyesight. I think the lane keep assist feature is pretty rough around the edges so I leave it off usually, but I've had no major complaints on the other aspects of the system after 2 years of driving with it. It has never slammed the brakes for no reason, and it has never prevented me from departing a lane (but it has fought against me slightly if I didn't signal). The lane departure/lane keep stuff has some issues with construction zones, and the departure warning can be aggravating on narrow roads, but overall I'm sold on the system and won't buy another car without it. I've heard from several non-subaru owners that the subaru system is better than other automakers. I've not spent time behind the wheel of another system, so I can't weigh in myself.

If you really dislike Eyesight and wish you could disable it permanently, and easy way to do that is to cover up the cameras with a piece of cardboard and tape. The system will error out on startup and shut down. So there's that if you really hate it but don't want to sell the car.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Bet it's not. Get on Youtube and look up Tesla Autopilot fails.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,273 Posts
I wouldn't give torquenews that much credit
I'm not speaking to the validity of the lawsuit.

Just the source for the information.

They've put out a lot of incorrect information in the past and don't seem interested in raising their own standards.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts