Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Prevented me from rear-ending someone
Same here!
I don't get it sometimes when people always try to fine fault in something. We have all this safety and yes it's not perfect and I can see why some dislike it. But think how much safer our cars are with the technology and the fast improvement have been made since my first 69 Chevelle.

·
Registered
8,902 Posts
I'm not speaking to the validity of the lawsuit.

Just the source for the information.

They've put out a lot of incorrect information in the past and don't seem interested in raising their own standards.
I haven’t read many of the different authors at torquenews - the guy that handles the subaru stuff isn’t a very good writer. Lots of fallacies, irrelevant information in articles, factually incorrect information - and none of it is ever corrected, even later articles that contradict the earlier ones don’t lead to corrections.

Their stated purpose/business model isn’t about accuracy of information (they actually state that) - it’s about making revenue through selling advertising (they state that too).

It’s interesting how they make it so high in search results in some search engines… adding -torquenews to a keyword search takes care of that for me.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 3.6 Touring, which replaced '05 Outback XT
870 Posts
Years ago, I was in a car without collision avoidance. On the freeway, and traffic was slowing and bunching up. My foot was on the brake, and I was slowing down. I glanced at the rear view mirror just at the wrong time, when the car ahead slammed on his brakes. I rear-ended him. Eyesight likely would have prevented that accident.

In 4 years of driving with eyesight, it has never over reacted to anything. I don't often use lane keeping assist, so I can't speak to that. I may never need it, but it's nice having that second set of eyes on the road. It isn't perfect, but I'll take the side effects over not having it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,849 Posts
I haven’t read many of the different authors at torquenews - the guy that handles the subaru stuff isn’t a very good writer. Lots of fallacies, irrelevant information in articles, factually incorrect information - and none of it is ever corrected, even later articles that contradict the earlier ones don’t lead to corrections.

Their stated purpose/business model isn’t about accuracy of information (they actually state that) - it’s about making revenue through selling advertising (they state that too).

It’s interesting how they make it so high in search results in some search engines… adding -torquenews to a keyword search takes care of that for me.
pay per click, click bait at best.

someone should send that guy a email that says subaru is thinking about making new 400hp twin turbo EG33 crate engines available
as drop ins for all 5EAT 2010-14 EZ36 outbacks / legacys.

and see if he prints it as if it came from "subaru" .

·
Registered
2021 Touring XT Abyss Blue Pearl
471 Posts
When we bought our '19 I was surprised at how little our auto insurance went up. And we traded in a eleven year old 2008 Prius. Bought the '21 on May 1 and the premium went down. Insurance companies like the safety features.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I assumed incorrectly that you were referring to the Adaptive Cruise part of EyeSight. I figured if your Subaru was automatic braking that often, you were referring to Adaptive Cruise control because in all my driving, I have never had the car automatically brake unless I was using Adaptive Cruise Control. If you find that your Subaru is braking that much that it anoys you, your system is broke or you tailgate.
Yeah, I didn't understand OP's post either. Always braking in traffic? ACC must be on, can't imagine all the braking otherwise.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I only have experience with Eyesight in our 2018 Forester, so it could be calibrated differently in the case of the Outback.
Overall, I like it very much. Is it perfect? No. But it seems to be generally more 'accurate' that the hybrid (radar/optical) system in my kid's 2018 Toyota RAV4.

Has it prevented me from going across a double yellow in the construction/obstruction event? It has fought me a bit, but not prevented me from steering out of my lane.
I don't recall with my 2017 LKA, but with my 6th Gen 2020 all you have to do is use the blinker and it immediately kills the Lane Centering. For me Lace Centering is way better than LKA which I found to be a gimmick as it ping ponged way too much, and would have allowed me to for instance hit a bicycle rider when toughing the right hand lines.
Prevented me from rear-ending someone
Me as well, would have been a 35mph rear ender (my fault) that I'm sure would have totaled both cars and got me a fat lawsuit.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Registered
all subaru all the time
31 Posts

I will offer 1 comment I hate about eyesite, I react better in San Diego traffic so I am constantly turning off automatic braking under driving assistance. I wish it would remember my choice!
Don't Tailgate. Simple solution

·
Registered
2009 Outback
23 Posts
Work for a big insurance carrier. Lots of data out there showing benefit to AEB, LDW, etc. Those data are in aggregate though and the lawsuit specifically is about Subaru defects:

1) The new lawsuit against Subaru claims the automaker failed to warn customers about the automatic emergency braking system, which allegedly has defects with software calibration from multiple control modules. The plaintiffs say the brakes activate when there are no objects in front or behind the vehicle.
2)The new Subaru class-action lawsuit says the EyeSight's lane keep assist feature is also defective. It alleges errors in the system "correct the vehicle's steering when the driver is trying to change lanes, is driving on the road with construction barriers, or if the road has multiple lines due to construction."

There are several other things mentioned but it's hard to tell exactly what the count of the accusations are. #1 will be difficult to prove. #2 .... yeah I actually agree with number 2. It will prevent you from going across a line even when you are doing it because your lane is partially obstructed, for example the construction example. I guess this is kinda operation as intended, unfortunately ... it is lane departure prevention after all. I think we can look forward to a future with autonomous cars stopping entirely beyond a waiting-to-turn vehicle instead of proceeding past them like a human would, just because there's a line on the roadway it doesn't want to cross. Gonna be fun.
[/QUOTE/
I've had my 2017 3.6 for about 2 years and although I was skeptical of the EyeSite initially, it has been trouble free. This has included commute traffic as well as a trip to Death Valley & back. The side-warning has save my butt a few times and the lane tracking AND adaptive cruise were a godsend on the trip to Death Valley. Long stretches on the interstate were much safer. People complained about seat belts, then they complained anti-lock braking. Were there bugs & issues, OF COURSE! Let's face it, in another 20 years, I'll be gone and most cars will be self driving. Maybe even mandated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If there is something you hate about your Outback go complain on another website. I love my Outback. I want to talk to others that like their Outback. If you don't like it why are you commenting here? I just don't need anyone trying point out what I am dumb about for not hating. Eyesight is great. Used it on D.C. Beltway. Can drive the entire thing with it on and just using my cruise control switch bumping the speed up and down to get close to flow of traffic. Never touch the brake. Never almost rear end anyone every five minutes anymore. If you hate it you don't know how to use it, don't blame the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I will offer 1 comment I hate about eyesite, I react better in San Diego traffic so I am constantly turning off automatic braking under driving assistance. I wish it would remember my choice!
The automatic braking saved my bacon in the first week with our new Subaru. Someone in front of me stopped dead for absolutely no reason, and even though I reacted, auto-braking reacted harder and stopped me within inches. Not so crazy about lane assist most of the time, but really happy about the braking.

·
Registered
2021 outback limited, Autumn Green
64 Posts
I love the adaptive cruise control. I think its well engineered, and works great in my car. The auto braking also can save you a rear end collision. Really I don't know what there is not to like about it. I normally have the lane assist shut off also. It just needs a little more refining.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Years ago, I was in a car without collision avoidance. On the freeway, and traffic was slowing and bunching up. My foot was on the brake, and I was slowing down. I glanced at the rear view mirror just at the wrong time, when the car ahead slammed on his brakes. I rear-ended him. Eyesight likely would have prevented that accident.

In 4 years of driving with eyesight, it has never over reacted to anything. I don't often use lane keeping assist, so I can't speak to that. I may never need it, but it's nice having that second set of eyes on the road. It isn't perfect, but I'll take the side effects over not having it.
In over 40 years of driving, the only time I have struck another vehicle was in situations where Eyesight would not have helped (slippery pavement, other driver backing into my lane).
After driving 2.5 years with Eyesight, I have it experienced over-reacting 3 times and once the system reacted the same time as me. So far , I have never needed it, but I agree that it only takes one event where it does it's job correctly to make it worthwhile. The 2 Eyesight Subarus that I drive have never caused an accident, and I doubt that it has caused any accident with other drivers. Some people just want to blame others for their own mistakes.

·
Registered
MY19 Outback 3.6R Premium
49 Posts
So far in the two years I've had my MY19 Outback, the emergency braking has only kicked in twice where there were no objects anywhere near me, and even then only for a split second before releasing the brake again, and both instances were coming around the same roundabout and straightening up. I advised Subaru Australia about it and they investigated, but could not reproduce the problem.

I drive this particular roundabout in the same lane, in the same manner everyday in a multitude of weather conditions and it's only kicked in twice. I have no idea what it saw to believe that there was something in front of me, but it has never braked like that anywhere else (other than where you expect it to), so for me two false positives out of thousands of passes in the same area is a very acceptable margin of error for me.

Shortly after I reported my second incident was when Subaru Japan did the stop-sale and recall on Gen6 Outbacks for the software correction in EyeSight 4.0 for the exact same issue, so in my next service I wouldn't be surprised if I receive an EyeSight software update there too, it's just not critical enough to warrant a recall for Gen5.

The technology is amazing (certainly better than almost every other competing manufacturer's implementation of similar features), but not perfect, and Subaru Australia makes every buyer aware of that by signing an acknowledgement on purchase that "the car does not drive itself". We accept that in certain conditions, you should either lightly press the accelerator to temporarily prevent the car from braking for another car turning ahead of you, or to temporarily disengage (not deactivate) cruise mode to get through a certain intersection before re-engaging cruise again. And where there are some unusual road conditions that are otherwise far from normal (such as roadworks), I may disengage cruise there as well until I am past it.

No issues with Steering Assist jerking my wheel over unexpectedly either - it's always been a gently prod in a given direction, and it's weak enough to counter without any drama and the car always gives way to you. Playing with Lane Keep Assist in Gen6 is amazing - wish I had that in my Gen5!

In any case, I'd much rather have the technology than not.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6R Limited with Nav/Moonroof/RAB-Rear CrossTraffic Alert
174 Posts
2. It will prevent you from going across a line even when you are doing it because your lane is partially obstructed, for example the construction example.
This isn't true. Lane keep assist will not "prevent" you from crossing a lane line. It will tug at the well gently but this can be overridden by steering the car where you want it to go.

For the other aspects of the complaint, like lane keep assist not working properly in construction zones where there are multiple lines on the pavement, Subaru says as much in the owners manual and advises the user to turn it off in those situations. Also the lane keep assist will not prevent you from changing lanes, but it will tug on the wheel if you don't use your turn signals, which I'm betting those plaintiffs are not doing. If it's truly malfunctioning, then the solution is to turn the system off and take it to the dealer for service, not file a lawsuit. Not sure this lawsuit is going to go very far.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts