Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts

I will offer 1 comment I hate about eyesite, I react better in San Diego traffic so I am constantly turning off automatic braking under driving assistance. I wish it would remember my choice!
I have been battling with the company for 6 months on Eyesight, Infosystem and a few other bothersome electronics issues. It is going back in for the 6th time. Has anyone else been having similar issues? They say I'm a lone person having problems.

·
Registered
2003 Outback H3.0
38 Posts
So far I have never had my 2020 Onyx Outback false alert for front or back braking. It does point out poor driving though. Many people follow too closely for speed and conditions and it for some reason you get behind someone that does fast breaking you need to keep your distance. It is amazing how differently drivers brake.

The lane keeping feature is a suggestion, meaning you can steer through it. I do it all the time because due to laziness I often don't use turn signals to change lanes when there is no one else obviously around. If you use turn signals it is disabled for that lane change direction. I would say the auto reverse braking is a bit of a pain when I back out of my garage. There are some bushes that even if I bumped up against would cause no problem but it doesn't know that and it annoying throws on the brakes if I am not careful. Yes, I could disable it for that but it is a pain to have to remember to do that. That is exactly why I installed the auto stop module to keep it off at start. It would not be out of the realm of possibility but having the ability to set a disable list base on location would be nice.

BTW, I discovered the advanced lane keeping feature in a recent trip when in adaptive cruise. It works really well on an interstate highway keeping the car centered in the lane better than I can. I played with it a little but it does sense driver interaction so if you don't keep some minor pressure on the steering wheel it will warn after a set period and eventually I suspect stop the car. It is a good feature because if you fell asleep or became incapacitated you would probably not crash. This is the beginning of autonomous driving although it probably only depends on road markings not GPS which would make it unreliable or not to be trusted the way most roads are marked. On a well marked interstate it did great on curves, Again, it can be overridden by the driver by steering through the suggestion which would automatically disable it. Only very light control of the wheel is require for it to know you are there. I would not trust it unattended on a busy road but in very light traffic it gives you 15 to 20 seconds to not have to watch the road.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,332 Posts
@dsc3507 lane centering does not stop the car but it does disengage if you don't provide steering wheel input after about a minute. 15 seconds is first warning, about 15 seconds later the warnings get louder, another 15 seconds they get really loud and then it disconnects. What your car does after that is a function of the crown in the road and how good of an alignment you have.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
54 Posts
@dsc3507 lane centering does not stop the car but it does disengage if you don't provide steering wheel input after about a minute. 15 seconds is first warning, about 15 seconds later the warnings get louder, another 15 seconds they get really loud and then it disconnects. What your car does after that is a function of the crown in the road and how good of an alignment you have.
Interesting. When I've experimented with "hands-off" I get the first warning after about 15-20 seconds, and I always put my hands back on and put very minor pressure on wheel and warning goes away. Never thought about what happens if I don't respond to the first alert.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
54 Posts
I have been battling with the company for 6 months on Eyesight, Infosystem and a few other bothersome electronics issues. It is going back in for the 6th time. Has anyone else been having similar issues? They say I'm a lone person having problems.
Not sure what exactly your problems are, but if it's in for the 6th time, I'd have to think there are some problems with your particular unit. There are a lot of reports about odd infotainment problems here (keep in mind any car forum is going to be a a skewed sample). As far as Eyesight goes, it seems like most of the problems I read on here are actually people misunderstanding how the system is supposed to work. Like the system does something that seems weird to the user, but if you read through the three pages of fine print in the manual about when and why the system might do something "weird", you see that it is actually doing what it is supposed to do, and there is some obscure logic to it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not sure what exactly your problems are, but if it's in for the 6th time, I'd have to think there are some problems with your particular unit. There are a lot of reports about odd infotainment problems here (keep in mind any car forum is going to be a a skewed sample). As far as Eyesight goes, it seems like most of the problems I read on here are actually people misunderstanding how the system is supposed to work. Like the system does something that seems weird to the user, but if you read through the three pages of fine print in the manual about when and why the system might do something "weird", you see that it is actually doing what it is supposed to do, and there is some obscure logic to it.
I agree on the Eyesight threads. Overall the car is great. 30+mpg even at 70-80. The nagging electronic bugs in the car are causing me the most angst. Over all I believe they are concerned but there should be some fix out there.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
249 Posts
There is a concrete pillar, to the left and behind my car where I park my car. When backing out, eyesight locks up the brakes about half the time, there is no chance of hitting the thing when it locks up. I’m watching the entire time And the brakes lock up.The pillar is not behind the car it is to the side of the car. I have not yet had an occasion in my car where are the eyesight did anything good. Most of my issues are backing up. While watching and backing up it locks up and I swear every time.

This said, I leave all of these features engaged at all times, except when towing or have a bike rack attached. I have not found the features to be dangerous, Annoying, yes, but not dangerous. I rarely drive too close to the car in front of me. I use adaptive cruise control extensively. I only use the lane feature with the adaptive cruise control occasionally. Generally, only when I need to use the multifunction display.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
16 Posts
EyeSight is autonomous driving, it is driver assistance and early warning. If drivers adhered to the driving rules, like signaling when changing lanes the lane change correction would not try to keep you in the lane. I drive a 2020 Outback Limited and love EyeSight.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
16 Posts
There is a concrete pillar, to the left and behind my car where I park my car. When backing out, eyesight locks up the brakes about half the time, there is no chance of hitting the thing when it locks up. I’m watching the entire time And the brakes lock up.The pillar is not behind the car it is to the side of the car. I have not yet had an occasion in my car where are the eyesight did anything good. Most of my issues are backing up. While watching and backing up it locks up and I swear every time.

This said, I leave all of these features engaged at all times, except when towing or have a bike rack attached. I have not found the features to be dangerous, Annoying, yes, but not dangerous. I rarely drive too close to the car in front of me. I use adaptive cruise control extensively. I only use the lane feature with the adaptive cruise control occasionally. Generally, only when I need to use the multifunction display.
I suggest you try backing up slower and feature the brake. This tells the car that you are in control.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I haven't had the backup features activate much but when they have, they have been right on. Usually it's when I'm slowly backing out of a parking spot or on to a street, I see there is traffic coming but I still have to back up toward it to get out, and the system will start beeping. I don't really mind that; it's a good check for me. One time so far it was really useful, I was backing out of a dark driveway on to a dark street. I looked behind me before backing, made sure no cars were coming, and started backing up. The system started beeping and stopped me, and I'm like "WTF?! There's nothing coming." But I take another closer look out in to the dark through the dark tinted windows, and sure enough, a dude walking, dressed all in black so he was pretty much invisible, had appeared in that couple seconds. He saw me backing, assumed I didn't see him (which I guess I didn't but the car did), and had stopped so I wouldn't run him over. Once he saw I stopped, he kept walking, crisis averted. If the car didn't have that feature I literally would have backed right in to him, despite what I thought was a through look over my shoulder, or he probably would have had to jump out of the way. So all in all, despite the occasional annoyances, I think these features are well worth it.

·
Registered
20 Outback Premium; former 19 Outback Premium, 85 GL Wagon, 87 GL-10 Wagon
2,332 Posts
RCTA has been spot on every time it has activated for us. For that matter, everything in the Eyesight system has been pretty flawless. The lane centering is not as smooth as what some other manufacturers offer, but it's still very good and we use it all the time.

·
Registered
'17 Outback Limited w/ Eye Sight 2.5 CVT...bought used-
34 Posts
It sounds to me like the ambulance-chasing lawyers are looking for a new payday. As I recall, a couple of years ago the American Bar Association advised members that there would be reduced revenue in the future due to fewer rear-end collision lawsuits, because of systems like EyeSight. Boo hoo.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suggest you try backing up slower and feature the brake.
You shouldn't have to back up at < 1mph and have 10ft of clearance on either side for the car not to freak out and apply the brakes.

Some of these safety features are just not ready for the real world. Subaru could make owners happier by giving them control over different driving features, i.e. easily reachable (not four sub-menus down) buttons that remember your selections, but unfortunately it always seems to take a lawsuit to get any manufacturer to implement changes. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
249 Posts
I haven't had the backup features activate much but when they have, they have been right on. Usually it's when I'm slowly backing out of a parking spot or on to a street, I see there is traffic coming but I still have to back up toward it to get out, and the system will start beeping. I don't really mind that; it's a good check for me. One time so far it was really useful, I was backing out of a dark driveway on to a dark street. I looked behind me before backing, made sure no cars were coming, and started backing up. The system started beeping and stopped me, and I'm like "WTF?! There's nothing coming." But I take another closer look out in to the dark through the dark tinted windows, and sure enough, a dude walking, dressed all in black so he was pretty much invisible, had appeared in that couple seconds. He saw me backing, assumed I didn't see him (which I guess I didn't but the car did), and had stopped so I wouldn't run him over. Once he saw I stopped, he kept walking, crisis averted. If the car didn't have that feature I literally would have backed right in to him, despite what I thought was a through look over my shoulder, or he probably would have had to jump out of the way. So all in all, despite the occasional annoyances, I think these features are well worth it.
Actually, I do appreciate the cross traffic notice. It hasn’t saved me. But now I usually put the car into reverse and wait for the thing to stop beeping and then look. I will put it back in to park if I hear a beep. I won’t start looking till no beeping.

I often back into parking spaces because it is safer, Statistically, than backing out. I am watching the backup camera and like to stop exactly where I want and Very often the thing locks up.

The System is a lot more aggressive than other vehicles. But, I really don’t see it being dangerous. I’ve never had it apply the brakes going forward.

·
Registered
'16 3.6R 5,600 miles, previous '05 OBXT, 80K
12 Posts
I've driven 2 Subie's with Eyesight, my 2016 Outback 3.6R and my Mom's 2020 Forester. The LKA on mine is coarse enough in its responses that I turned it off, then a few years later I fell asleep at the wheel and drifted into a cablerail. That was a rude awakening and not cheap. The braking in reverse braking on the Forester can be annoying. Her garage/driveway involves backing out and turning and needing to get close to some bushes to make the forward turn. Watching the rearview camera, knowing how close I need to get and BAM it slams on the brakes. Happened a couple of times and scared my Mom every time.
I love ACC. I just wish there was a closer setting that wouldn't invite people to pull in between you and the car in front of you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I only have experience with Eyesight in our 2018 Forester, so it could be calibrated differently in the case of the Outback.
Overall, I like it very much. Is it perfect? No. But it seems to be generally more 'accurate' that the hybrid (radar/optical) system in my kid's 2018 Toyota RAV4.

Has it prevented me from going across a double yellow in the construction/obstruction event? It has fought me a bit, but not prevented me from steering out of my lane.
It seems to me, on my 20 Ltd, if I give a signal, it negates the lane departure attempts to stop you. I do absolutely not like the bouncing back and forth on a straight road and cutting off completely in a deep curve. And all those beeps OMG

·
Premium Member
2017 3.6R Touring
92 Posts
Lane keep assist is the only thing I'm glad defaults to "off". I leave everything else "on".

·
Registered
2020 Legacy Premium
48 Posts
It seems to me, on my 20 Ltd, if I give a signal, it negates the lane departure attempts to stop you. I do absolutely not like the bouncing back and forth on a straight road and cutting off completely in a deep curve. And all those beeps OMG
You CAN disable all that.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
342 Posts
It is really more computer and game console than car in some ways, and careful read of the manual IS required. Snaking turns when you are over the speed limit will have you taking over more often than not... it should be off in constructions zones (PERIOD). Barells, bad lines, confused and abrupt line changes and overlap... My thumb is always ready to turn it off, and the other way to override it is to use the brake or gas (stopping) and you can turn the wheel and win when fighting with skynet, I mean the Subaru.

And have to agree with the lane changing, signal turns it off. My guess is a lot of them forget.

Not saying it doesn't false out, just yesterday, on a turn down a suburban road, guy walking on grass next to the curb (right to left) was in "front" of my car, and the car gave me an obstacle detected warning. I just had not got to the turn yet. A little gas, and a gentle turn and we were good. It turns off when it senses driver involvement for the most part (don't know about the final "oh my god we are going to hit" phase of auto braking).

Reactions: surfstar

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium
36 Posts
We had a lot of consternation about buying our '19 with all of the nannies. However, considering we're both mid-50's and intend to keep the car 10-15 years, we wanted to have some assurances. Both my wife (primary driver) and I have come to love Eyesight, with 2 caveats:
1. LKA is always off. No biggie, happy it stays off after stopping/restarting.
2. The real issue is Eyesight doesn't work when needed most - in heavy rains and snow!

I understand the basics of Eyesight and how it works. But this (arguably) great safety suite is useless in the aforementioned rain and snow. Yes we are cautious drivers, slow down appropriately in inclement weather, give plenty of space, etc etc - but I want to f'n punch the dang car every time I get a Severe Weather alert and Eyesight beeps off!

41 - 60 of 63 Posts