Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I saw a Subaru Justy at the end of the peninsula in San Quintin in Baja California. Getting out there is one of the toughest off road drives I have experienced in Baja through deep sand and over lava rocks. I was amazed to see a Justy in the same place that challenged my Ford Ranger and my friend's 4Runner. Does anyone know if the Justy had all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive with locking hubs or a low range.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know the first generation Justy had a push button in the shifter knob for 4WD High range.As light as that car is,i think they figured it didn't need low range.I think Subaru should bring back the justy.I had a 89 2WD and for what it was,i amazed alot of people with what it would do.People that rode in it didn't believe that it had a 3 cyl. they thought it had a 4 cyl.Top speed carb model was 100 mph.What a great little car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm positive it was a Justy. It was the car a Mexican clam digger used to get to the end of the peninsula everyday. Also, it is amazing how many Subaru Legacys, not Outbacks, I see in Baja. I saw a mid 90's legacy at Bahia de Los Angeles being driven by a 70 year old man. Used it to go on the beaches to fish. Seeing these Subarus in deep Baja made me a believer in Subaru.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
ledge26 said:
Last year I saw a Subaru Justy at the end of the peninsula in San Quintin in Baja California. Getting out there is one of the toughest off road drives I have experienced in Baja through deep sand and over lava rocks. I was amazed to see a Justy in the same place that challenged my Ford Ranger and my friend's 4Runner. Does anyone know if the Justy had all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive with locking hubs or a low range.
I owned a '90 2Dr 4WD with a 5M years ago. Not bad for a little 3-cylinder engine. My biggest hangup with the car was the narrow track. Many Colorado mountain roads have definite wear grooves from cars with either chains or studded snow tires. The Justy track was a couple inches or so less than the average car and it would "hunt" from side to side in the lane. It was basically the old "on demand" 4WD system that the early Subaru's had.

HTH

:)

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I just had seen a Just yesterday, a red one. Now if I'm not mistaken...The Just was the last vehicle sold in the U.S. that still had an old carburetor. Can anyone confirm that? Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
bheinz57
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing