Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I stumbled on this series of six (I think) videos on Subaru engineering topics, called "Subaru Lab". The intro mime sequence is a little annoying, and some of the content is pretty basic, but the videos have some interesting bits, especially the old video of old Subaru models, and the sub-title interviews with some of the engineers.

Here is a link to the first one, related to the boxer engine. If you search YouTube for "Subaru Lab videos", the others should come up.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
I stumbled on this series of six (I think) videos on Subaru engineering topics, called "Subaru Lab". The intro mime sequence is a little annoying, but the videos have some interesting bits.

Here is a link to the first one, related to the boxer engine. I think that links to the other ones should probably pop up as you watch this one.

I clicked past the cringeworthy charlie chaplain imitation to get to the actual content, which is pretty good.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Likely lost the logo when the beancounters 'decontented' the car before final production.
I think you are correct about the beancounters. I am suspicious they are contributing to the reported issues with broken windows. I learned a lot about glass while working in a lab that used glassware and by having engineering responsibilities specifying optical glass. I believe the problems can be eliminated by spending a little more money on the glass process. Beancounters seem to be taking over the world.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I originally found this video series when looking for a video that would show the inner guts of Subaru CVTs. (One of them does discuss CVTs, to some extent.)

I think I enjoyed watching Episode 4 the most, on safety issues. It reinforces my opinion that Subaru has always had a fair amount in common with Volvo, in terms of their engineering approach, and focus on various aspects of safety. Not to mention, a penchant for somewhat "idiosyncratic" styling, and engine designs. (Such as Volvo's transverse inline-5 and inline-6 engines (no longer built), Subaru's boxers, and the early adoption of turbos by both companies.).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts