Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I own a mint condition 1998 Subaru Legacy with under 150,000 kms on it. Recently, the "AT Oil Temp" light has been coming on after start up and will flash 16 times. Also, when I put the fuse into the AWD fuse holder, my car will not go into FWD (or in other words, disengage AWD). Therefore, I am left driving around stuck in AWD and I have pretty nasty torque bind, so its not an ideal situation. Can someone please explain the correlation between the AT Oil Temp light and the car not going into FWD?

Thanks, Caleb.

·
Registered
17,837 Posts
Can someone please explain the correlation between the AT Oil Temp light and the car not going into FWD?
The flashing AT Oil Temp light is indicating that the transmission on-board diagnostics has detected a problem. The area of the problem is identified by a code (or codes). Your car is equipped with a transmission code reader, of sorts, tham makes use of the AT Oil Temp light to flash out the related code number. The procedure is in the first post in 199?-2004 How to Read AT Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). The 1998 would be a Phase I.

Read the code; that will provide a clue.

More specifically, in that model, if there's a failure in the AWD control circuitry, the mechanical system defaults to full AWD all the time. Because there's no control of the AWD due to the fault (e.g., a code 24), installing the AWD-disabling fuse has no effect.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts