Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Outbrat XT, 3.0R Limited, 2.5i Touring
4,644 Posts
May be due to many Subaru owners having excessively high expectations and turning every little pimple into a first world problem.....
It’s always that guy that switched to buy his first Subaru from brand X because of the value and now he regrets it.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
It's a JD Power survey. A broken crankshaft counts as much as a radio preset not saving correctly. Really tough to read much detail into these. Where is this delimited? What is initial quality? Problems found in the first 15 minutes?

Taking the numbers at face value, I'm not going to be surprised that a small automaker like Subaru scores poorly against some industrial giants of national scale.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,508 Posts
It's a JD Power survey. A broken crankshaft counts as much as a radio preset not saving correctly. Really tough to read much detail into these. Where is this delimited? What is initial quality? Problems found in the first 15 minutes?
The article stated that the measurement point was taken at 90 days after new vehicle purchase. I would thus offer that complaints would probably be dominated not by mechanical issues (possible exception of tires), and lean toward the areas they said had grown the most in numbers: "features, controls, and display". I mean, c'mon, 1970-era Yugos and Vegas even managed to hold things together for at least the first 90 days.....

And besides, if I am to believe many of the posts in our Gen 5 forum, a radio preset not saving correctly does count as much as a broken crankshaft. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,508 Posts
hard to take the list seriously with Kia at the top.
If you offer a bare-bones basic-entry-point car for a relatively low price, it's not going to have as many of these "features, controls, and display" issues that higher end cars would have. It has just the basics, and does them pretty well, and it gets you around OK - Kia has gotten quite a bit better in quality in the past few years, and moved on past their problem days. Thus, the complaints in the first 90 days are bound to be less.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
66 Posts
Very interesting and agree on comments about what is being selected as a "defect". I must say in response to 1 Lucky Texan that I just came back from a two week trip to Australia and was VERY impressed with the KIA mini van we had rented. Yes, I did say KIA and Mini van (2 adults and 4 kids + luggage). It was a solid, well built vehicle that had plenty of power and good fuel economy. Would I drive it here in America, probably not since my wife hates mini vans..lol

Semper Fi

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Agree, with too much importance and fuss made of superfluous equipment like infotainment systems being an issue etc.
These are distractions from driving ie taking eyes off road.

Also too much reliance is placed on electronic driving aids to take over from bad inattentive driving.
They should only be considered an added bonus (if they work) and NOT relied on an not a substitute for not concentrating or driving well.

The important stuff - how the car drives, operates, power, ride, comfort, interior space, general performance, how its put together - quality /equipment for price (engine / drivetrain , suspension, brakes
steering etc) the essence of a good car..

Surveys like this aren't a very good guide - I tend to ignore stuff like this.

Reactions: Usmc1968

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
hard to take the list seriously with Kia at the top.
Kia build quality has come a long way since they hit US shores. My sister in law has a '14 Sorento. It is a very nicely equipped vehicle that has been issue free.

There was a time not so long ago when Toyota's and Honda's were thought to be junk.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,752 Posts
hard to get past anecdotal experience in the family and other parts of my 'network'.. Kia van's airbags failed to deploy and 1 extended family member was killed, another severely injured. No I don't expect airbags to be perfect, just work as they should. lawsuit still ongoing.

From that, a disappointing test drive when we were shopping and eventually bought our Outback, and 2 coworker's experience with Kia, they certainly have had plenty of room to move up.

I guess Hyundai has straightened them out???

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
hard to get past anecdotal experience in the family and other parts of my 'network'.. Kia van's airbags failed to deploy and 1 extended family member was killed, another severely injured. No I don't expect airbags to be perfect, just work as they should. lawsuit still ongoing.

From that, a disappointing test drive when we were shopping and eventually bought our Outback, and 2 coworker's experience with Kia, they certainly have had plenty of room to move up.

I guess Hyundai has straightened them out???
Toyota, Honda, others, including Subaru have all had recalls due to the failure of airbags to deploy.......

http://www.autonews.com/article/20150715/OEM11/150719916/subaru-recalls-32400-imprezas-to-fix-potential-airbag-problem

Like seat belts, airbags can save lives but they don't prevent death. When God decides it is your day to come home....it's your day to come home....

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
What is QIR?

The Quality Index Rating(QIR) offers an overall score based on the frequency of powertrain issues, the mileage distribution of when those issues take place, and vehicle age at the time of trade-in. You can think of it as a weighted average where we look at a number of factors for a given vehicle model, and then get a single value indicating it's overall long-term reliability.
What is a good QIR score?

An average QIR score for a vehicle model is 50, with a range of possible scores from 0-100. Most vehicle models fall into the 30-70 score range, with those above 70 being quite reliable in general, while those below 30 being generally quite poor in terms of reliability.
What is a "powertrain issue"?

Powertrain issues are defects that exist with either the engine or transmission. These defects are severe enough to impact the operation of the vehicle.

from; http://www.dashboard-light.com/

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
I just checked out that site after looking at this chart. What sent me there, was that they listed Pontiac. A manufacturer that ceased to exist in 2010. So their chart is based off of some old data and doesn't seem very current.
That caught my eye as well. The list also includes Saturn. Wonder when the last time the chart was updated.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
if you check their methods, they are looking at auction cars so, still flushing-out a lot of older models? long-term reaches back -what?- 5-10 or more years I think. And, they don't consider problems with a/c or electronics, just critical and expensive powertrain stuff.

It's apples to oranges I admit but, perhaps more enlightening than the first 90 days of ownership like the JDP chart. Subaru still doesn't do well. Beat out by Hyundai so, maybe the Korean cars are dramatically improving. Kinda surprised Mazda is so low, then I recalled a coworker that had to buy a transmission - Mazda had a crap-ton of bad transmissions.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6r Limited
352 Posts
LOL !
Audi is listed in top 10 worst by JD Power whereas Consumer Reports lists them on the top 3 or something for quality. We need to survey JDPower and CR to see who is the worst

IMHO these surveys / studies are BS

·
Super Moderator
8,508 Posts
IMHO these surveys / studies are BS
I think the QIR list that Texan posted is a pretty good indicator for long term drivetrain reliability, as log as you keep in mind that it's always backwards looking data that might not necessarily reflect the design of newer models on the showroom floor.

·
Premium Member
18,752 Posts
they can certainly be misleading. And the 'sins of the past' can really linger. Probably one reason Kia does not , yet, have as good resale/residual value to go along with it's JDP ranking. And subaru's HG problems have really left a lot of dissatisfied owners behind.

Personally, I don't really care if I have to return to the dealership for a problem in the first 90 days after purchase 2-3 more times with a Subaru than I would with a Kia. I would like to know if the wheels fall off after 5 years or 15 years.

2 Kia models made this Forbes list of worst resale value; http://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45eggdk/1-nissan-leaf/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.