Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, hope you guys are happy with your 20/21 Outback’s! WE ARE NOT!

We always new that Subaru Aus & Nz are known for not good customer service but their vehicle's are good. So I made the choice of buying a brand new Touring so my wife can have her favourite car as she likes the Outback and have owned a 2011 one for 3 years.

Well what a mistake this purchase was, if I only just trusted my gut and went ahead to buy the Toyota then I never had to create this post.

the service From the dealership was crap to say the least but at least we had a 7/10 salesman.

I have a lovely in dash vibration which goes away if my wife sit in the passenger seat and hold the plastics above her feet up with one foot.

Also after now owning this car for about 3 months finally the Tow bar came into stock which is understandable due to Covid.

So the tow bar was fitted and the driver memory seat is now dead. I initialised the seat until I heard the 3 beeps but yet nothing! The car at least remembers the drivers profile but its so much fun to hear how the seat motor is making noise as it struggles to move to position when driver recognition is in process with an adult in the seat.

Can someone please advice how to bring the memory seat back to life as I now have to take the car 125km back into Auckland to get fixed if I cant fix it myself?

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,612 Posts
I'm curious if you've checked your battery voltage and it's low, causing the motors to struggle? Could it be that during the tow bar installation they drained the battery?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm curious if you've checked your battery voltage and it's low, causing the motors to struggle? Could it be that during the tow bar installation they drained the battery?
Yip 100% understand your thinking mate and thanks for caring! The question is though, whey should I even lift the bonnet for that matter?

it starts fine so I dont think battery.
FYI the car now has 2700km on the clock.

It absolutely drinks fuel at 10.2lt per 100km. Its got a weak 2.5 engine. I dont understand how my wifes previous 2011 outback that was also a 2.5 non turbo where lots stronger, heaps lighter on fuel at 6.7lt per 100km. When I say lighter on fuel, even my old 2010 outback EZ30 3.0lt was lighter on fuel.

I guess Im just super pissed off with Subaru and also this new car, that has a new vibration every week or some kind of a shitty issue that arrises doesn't help.

little things count and also started to build up, and the dealership was half the problem from the start.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,310 Posts
Sorry to here you are not happy but I highly doubt your fuel consumption figures on the wife's old OB are correct. Not even my wife's XV get anywhere near that flat tracking in Australia neither did her Impreza. Having been to NZ a far few times I don't see to much flat stuff. That engine has to work to go up them hills. My 3.6 has a lifetime consumption of 9.5 litres per 100.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,563 Posts
The question is though, whey should I even lift the bonnet for that matter?
I guess if you don't even want to put in that little bit of effort then a drive to the dealer is the answer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to here you are not happy but I highly doubt your fuel consumption figures on the wife's old OB are correct. Not even my wife's XV get anywhere near that flat tracking in Australia neither did her Impreza. Having been to NZ a far few times I don't see to much flat stuff. That engine has to work to go up them hills. My 3.6 has a lifetime consumption of 9.5 litres per 100.
Hi mate, thanks for your reply! Couldn’t believe that someone doubted my figures until I had a look!
Sorry for the wrong information! Late night typo! 7.6lt/100 and NOT 6.7🤣
We live in Hamilton and my wife drives 7km to work and 7 back, she drives against the traffic from where we live so never bumper to bumper traffic and also not above 60km/hr so there you go. Still no reason for the new one to be so heavy on fuel? They borrowed us a 2017 3.6 for a week while fitting the Tow bar and wow 9.7lt/100km doing the same work. Hope this makes sense to you. Maybe the fact that its “90% newer engine” is the problem?

Thanks for your input and sorry for the typo.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
9,612 Posts
I'm not familiar with consumer protection laws in NZ - or NZ's equivalent to Subaru of America but surely you're not solely at the mercy of just one dealership?

Alternatively, you can call our customer relations team on 0800 SUBARU (782278)

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,156 Posts
Hi mate, thanks for your reply! Couldn’t believe that someone doubted my figures until I had a look!
Sorry for the wrong information! Late night typo! 7.6lt/100 and NOT 6.7🤣
We live in Hamilton and my wife drives 7km to work and 7 back, she drives against the traffic from where we live so never bumper to bumper traffic and also not above 60km/hr so there you go. Still no reason for the new one to be so heavy on fuel? They borrowed us a 2017 3.6 for a week while fitting the Tow bar and wow 9.7lt/100km doing the same work. Hope this makes sense to you. Maybe the fact that its “90% newer engine” is the problem?

Thanks for your input and sorry for the typo.
The reason the XT is getting poor fuel economy is right here in your post.

”We live in Hamilton and my wife drives 7km to work and 7 back, she drives against the traffic from where we live so never bumper to bumper traffic and also not above 60km/hr so there you go.”

The engine is NEVER being warmed up and is more than likely running rich the whole time it is being driven. Now that the weather is getting colder in NZ I would expect the fuel economy to get even worse. Turbo vehicles get very poor fuel economy in city driving conditions and there is very little or nothing that can be done to resolve this problem.

Try taking the car for a drive to Auckland or Rotorua and see what the fuel economy is like on a trip.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,310 Posts
You beat me to it Seagrass. I was typing basically the same answer. 7.6 is bloody good.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,310 Posts
My wife's XV with a 2.0ltr gets a combined of about 8.6 here in Bendigo off the top of my head. We are away at the moment so can't confirm that.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,310 Posts
Kiwi if you look up the consumption figures on Subaru Australia's website you will see you?are doing OK. Also the Australian/NZ fuel consumption standard for urban has the car stationary for 40% of the test. Therefore the engine is turned off due to stop/start. You will find the Australian Standards for the tests if you search Google. I can't recall what the stop time for the rural test was and the speeds. The tests do not reflect real world driving practices. 10 is probably expected.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The reason the XT is getting poor fuel economy is right here in your post.

”We live in Hamilton and my wife drives 7km to work and 7 back, she drives against the traffic from where we live so never bumper to bumper traffic and also not above 60km/hr so there you go.”

The engine is NEVER being warmed up and is more than likely running rich the whole time it is being driven. Now that the weather is getting colder in NZ I would expect the fuel economy to get even worse. Turbo vehicles get very poor fuel economy in city driving conditions and there is very little or nothing that can be done to resolve this problem.

Try taking the car for a drive to Auckland or Rotorua and see what the fuel economy is like on a trip.

Seagrass
Hi mate, thanks for your reply. That makes sense. Both our cars idle for at least 5-7 minutes before they get driven as we like to warm them up, and don't like to move the gear shifter out of park while the car is still warming up at 2000RPM.

This car is the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine and not the XT.

I spoke to a another car manufacturer dealership today and was advised to keep on driving the car for another 5000km so everything can settle. This might just be true as this is our first new car.

I want to put this post to bed now and Im apologising for even starting this post.

I think its simple. I cant compare Subaru to any other vehicle as its just not fair. Our other option was a Toyota vehicle and this brands does not compare in any way or form, and definitely not on sales.

The car is now booked in with Subaru in Hamilton on the 24/25 of May so I will update after that.

A few points here is that our 2009 and 2011Outback’s was quite different from this Vehicle as they are years apart.

I purchased both the previous Outbacks after taking my time to find the best examples I could, and man they were both nice vehickle’s.
They also both had close to 100,000k’s at time of purchase so both bedded in nicely by that time.

Its a new car so we will let it settle in and make contact with Subaru whenever a new problem arrises. It drives well, its a safe vehicle and my wife is somewhat happy with it.

Oh and before I forget we took it to Whangamata on Sunday and best returned fuel economy returned after being so gentle on the throttle that I was not even ever letting it go above 3000rpm was 9.3lt/100

Over and out!👍

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,156 Posts
Thanks for the update and sorry for my mistake of thinking it was a turbo engine.

Hope things improve and that you come to a position where you are happy with the vehicle.

Seagrass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts