Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my battery changed out today. The battery had some corrosion and load was showing about 100 amp/hr down from OEM. After the employee at AAP changed the battery, he did not replace the battery box. I called him on it and he said that was all "dealership marketing...blah, blah, blah". AAP website suggested the 26 series, however this employee said I should have used a 25 series battery to reuse the battery box/cover. Both show up as exact fit. The 26 uses a battery stand and has higher CCA (525 vs 500).

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-silver-battery-group-size-26-525-cca-26-3/2040328-P

I didn't want to get in a debate so I took the battery box/cover with me, however when I had the battery in my Mazda CX5 replaced with a 26 and the employee DID put the battery box back on the car.

I wanted to get your feedback on if replacing the battery box/cover is necessary. I feel like it is as it protects the battery to a degree. I recall in years back OEM had full covers (top and side) which prevented the car from damage in the event of a battery issue/rupture.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,532 Posts
... he said that was all "dealership marketing...blah, blah, blah".
If there weren't a valid reason, Subaru wouldn't have spent the money to install a battery shield at the factory. But is it absolutely necessary? No.

AAP website suggested the 26 series, however this employee said I should have used a 25 series battery to reuse the battery box/cover.
The OE batteries correspond to BCI Group 25 dimensions:

Group 25 = 9.1" L x 6.9" W x 8.9" H
Group 26 = 8.2" L x 6.8" W x 7.8" H

See Battery-Web.com - BCI Group Numbers, Dimensional Specifications, Polarity and Terminals

1 - 2 of 2 Posts