Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to add a remote starter for my new 2018 outback. Dealer let me choose either Subaru OEM or aftermarket for the same price. However, they told me that the range of Subaru OEM remote starter is not good enough and people has been complain it. Have to choose one tomorrow, and hope to get your experience. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,541 Posts
Go with the aftermarket.

The salesman is right. The Subaru remote start has a very limited range compared to most OEM remote starts. If I recall correctly, the Subaru remote start is rated for something like 330 feet. In comparison, the Viper that I went with is rated for 2000 feet for one remote and 1 mile for the other remote. I know that many are going to say that the stated ranges are for ideal conditions. But this is true for all, including the Subaru.

The second gripe most have with the Subaru OEM remote start is that when you unlock the car, the engine kills. You then have to insert the key into the ignition and restart. Subaru claims that this is a security feature, to assure that the car isn't stolen. Perhaps. But it's still very annoying. And there are other ways of doing it. The Viper on my car requires the key to be inserted and turned to Run position before the brake is depressed. If the brake is depressed before the key is in the run position, the engine kills. This is a very effective security system, as I can't put the car in gear without depressing the brake pedal.

The last advantage of a Viper is the warranty. If installed by a Viper authorized installer, the Viper has a lifetime warranty. I'm not sure what the warranty is on the Subaru OEM. But I'm sure it's not lifetime.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have two co-workers who have the "stock" subaru remote start, one can only start their car if they are within sight and pointing the remote out the door and the car is less than 400 feet away, the other can start their car from their desk on the second floor on the other side of the building!?! They are both subaru branded starters they look as if they are different remotes though. both are on 2016/17 limited models as well, I'm thinking of going aftermarket with mine so I don't have to re-start the engine when I open the door.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
A football field including the end zones is something like 360 feet. So a 400 foot range is obviously a bit more ... say a football field with a track around it end to end (depends of course on how many lanes it may have).

I had a 2000 foot remote starter for a little Corolla I had. Sure it was nice. At the end of the day though for the few years I had it, realistically speaking at least for me, I am not sure if I was ever more than 400 feet from my vehicle when I actually started it.

Why I went with the Subaru remote start ... got the dealer to throw it in when I purchased my 2018 Outback Limited.

The Subaru remote is two way which is super nice. Hence, it will tell you if it was successful in starting the vehicle. What ever you end up getting make sure the remote has at least that feature. It is huge to know if it was able to start your vehicle or not; especially if you are about a football field away from your vehicle.

I am not sure if you could go wrong either way at the end of the day. Aftermarket folks may offer other features though with things like online services (starting, location, tracking, etc).

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver
432 Posts
One thing to ask is who is paying to fix the car if someday you have a problem with the electrical in the car because they hacked into your wiring harness as the factory RS will plug into existing plugs where aftermarket there will be some cutting into the harness. A friend had aftermarket installed “through” the dealer but she got in writing that they will warranty it. Sure enough a few years later she gets some electrical issue and it was related to the aftermarket RS and they tried to charge her. She had to show them her sales slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts