Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughters 2003 Subie 2.5i Sedan with 70,000 miles was reported to have leaking head gaskets when having the oil changed. 8 months prior she had the 60,000 mile maintenance done by another dealer. They wanted 2,100.00 dollars with the timing belt and water pump included. I told her to call Subie of America. Tell them you just had the 60,000 mile service done and the car fax for the car showing all the other service that was done and you just graduated Collage and still looking for a job. I didn't have much hope for a 10 year old car with 70,000 miles on it , but its worth a try. Well they came down looked at the car and are pitching in with $500 dollars, better then nothing :D . But I wish they would fix the problem because I have a 2004 Subie 2.5i sedan with 60,000 miles! :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
an independent shop can do the work for $1300-1500 provided no other issues. Sounds more like a "feel good" discount versus something genuine but whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Subaru covered my HG leak on my 2001 100% at 65,000 miles - however the car was not that old.

Stick with the dealer repair - any future issues subaru will cover 100% of it. Local Leo will not cover 100% of future repairs and HG jobs are 100% dependent on the quality of the hands that do them! My Subaru HG job was done at 65K and at 180K the car was in top shape zero issues. Sift through the threads here and you read one miserable story after another of multiple HG jobs or blown engines or other screwed up service work 90% of them are local shops that don't step up and fix their mistakes.

Subaru's cost back in I think 2003 for one head - to pull it - put new gasket in and put the head back on was $1500. My car never over heated and needed about 12oz of coolant added about every 400miles which would be considered a small HG leak by many who have seen them leaking far worse.

By the way the timing belt job which did not require replacing the oring on the oil pump was $300 no pulleys replaced. If your car is in a location with extreme conditions winters - salt roads etc - replacing the pulleys and guides is highly suggested. Water pump if the car has had spotty coolant care or unknown previous history then yes replace the waterpump also. If your the original owner and know the coolant was properly kept up etc then the water pump should be fine for another 100K with no issues.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Subaru covered my HG leak on my 2001 100% at 65,000 miles - however the car was not that old.

Stick with the dealer repair - any future issues subaru will cover 100% of it. Local Leo will not cover 100% of future repairs and HG jobs are 100% dependent on the quality of the hands that do them! My Subaru HG job was done at 65K and at 180K the car was in top shape zero issues. Sift through the threads here and you read one miserable story after another of multiple HG jobs or blown engines or other screwed up service work 90% of them are local shops that don't step up and fix their mistakes.

Subaru's cost back in I think 2003 for one head - to pull it - put new gasket in and put the head back on was $1500. My car never over heated and needed about 12oz of coolant added about every 400miles which would be considered a small HG leak by many who have seen them leaking far worse.

By the way the timing belt job which did not require replacing the oring on the oil pump was $300 no pulleys replaced. If your car is in a location with extreme conditions winters - salt roads etc - replacing the pulleys and guides is highly suggested. Water pump if the car has had spotty coolant care or unknown previous history then yes replace the waterpump also. If your the original owner and know the coolant was properly kept up etc then the water pump should be fine for another 100K with no issues.
:29: I have a local shop by me that charges $1,500 but just thought she was better going through the dealer which cost her $1,600 with the $500 from Subaru of America! Any problems and at least I am still dealing with Subaru! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
an independent shop can do the work for $1300-1500 provided no other issues. Sounds more like a "feel good" discount versus something genuine but whatever makes you happy.
The check for $500 came from Subaru of America after she paid the full cost!

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
the 2000 - 2004 era EJ25's can sometimes be stopped with a coolant change and adding the coolant conditioner or two bottles of it that are required by Subaru. That should have been done first. They did it when the did the headgasket change - coolant has to come out, then they refill and add the conditioner.

the $2,100 price tag is high, hopefully included some other parts or at least the timing belt? Dealer here (and they are high) charges $1,500 to do headgaskets.

Timing belt is required to be replaced at 105,000 miles OR 10 years - so your 2003 (manufactured in 2002) is at 10 years old and needs replaced. Hopefully they replaced it as that's another $500 repair that could have been avoided since they have to remove the timing belt to get to the headgaskets and the part is only $59. If they didn't do it - then they knowingly reinstalled a part that is beyond their own maintenance intervals.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the 2000 - 2004 era EJ25's can sometimes be stopped with a coolant change and adding the coolant conditioner or two bottles of it that are required by Subaru. That should have been done first. They did it when the did the headgasket change - coolant has to come out, then they refill and add the conditioner.

the $2,100 price tag is high, hopefully included some other parts or at least the timing belt? Dealer here (and they are high) charges $1,500 to do headgaskets.

Timing belt is required to be replaced at 105,000 miles OR 10 years - so your 2003 (manufactured in 2002) is at 10 years old and needs replaced. Hopefully they replaced it as that's another $500 repair that could have been avoided since they have to remove the timing belt to get to the headgaskets and the part is only $59. If they didn't do it - then they knowingly reinstalled a part that is beyond their own maintenance intervals.
They removed the engine replacing the head gaskets. The timing belt and water pump was replaced. Not sure what else was done!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
bigjeep
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing