Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received great reponses from my oil thread........now would like to know about oil filters...........

Are subaru ones the best to use ?

I had nissan for over twenty years and always used theirs.

What does everyone think/use ?

appreciate all responses

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I received great reponses from my oil thread........now would like to know about oil filters...........

Are subaru ones the best to use ?

I had nissan for over twenty years and always used theirs.

What does everyone think/use ?

appreciate all responses
As posted elsewhere, the Subaru OEM filters are/were made for Subaru by Purolator.
There has been a recent recall on many of those... so, not sure, if Subaru still gets them from Purolator or from someone else....
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So puralator filters are garbage ? If so.................why ?

·
Registered
2011 OB 2.5i limited
212 Posts
There are a bunch of threads on here about filters. (I'm not trying to be one of those "GO SEARCH, DANGIT" people.)

I read something about the bypass valve pressure setting on Subaru filters being different than most filters. I don't know enough about it to explain it fully, but you can find it somewhere. Anyway, it's the reason I decided to only use the OEM filters.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
If I remember the screw in thread on those recalled filters wasn't long (deep) enough and those filters were found leaking oil - or something to that effect.......as well as the problem with the bypass valve, etc,etc.... there is a complete list of filters that were recalled elsewhere (somewhere) out there/out here... do your search Subaruman49....I don't remember the details either....

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
1: Thread moved to correct forum.

2: For the OP's 3k oil changes, pretty much any filter will do just fine. Get what the best value is. The Subaru filter has an unusually high bypass spec....but I'd wager 90% of the Subaru's on the road are using aftermarket filters.

·
Registered
02 OBW
131 Posts
Definitely tons of threads out there. Is this regarding your H6 or the 2.5?

Some info though (this may not apply to latest gen motors, FB, etc):

-current blue OEM filters for the 2.5 I've seen (part ends in AA12A) are made in USA. (Honeywell spun off their car care business, so these are probably made by FRAM group - unless someone has better info). Prior ones (up until last year?) were branded - made in Canada by Honeywell.

-earlier OEM 2.5 filters were made by Purolator (larger size), or by Toki Roki (black)
-I don't think the H6 filters have changed much, they are still a larger size to my knowledge (not super familiar)

-Purolator makes good aftermarket alternatives (PL14460/L14460 for the 2.5 non-turbo, I run the PL when it's on sale, OE blues when they aren't)
-WIX/Napa brands are also commonly recommended, I'm sure there are others (everyone has a fav!)

Other info that you could research since you have an H6 and H4:
I've run the the H6 filter on my H4 ('02). Probably able to do this on 05-09 (non-turbo) motors? OE H6 filters don't appear to have an anti-drainback valve, and they don't engage as many threads when screwing them on. The latter I believe is fixable by installing the H6 filter stud on the H4 block. Worth it to only have to use 1 filter for both cars? I don't know.

Cheers.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for all the info !!! Great and informative as always......

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6L Limited with EyeSight
218 Posts
OE H6 filters don't appear to have an anti-drainback valve.
Can anyone confirm the lack of an anti-drainback valve on the black OEM oil filter for an H-6?

Have been using the OEM oil filters on a 2013 Outback 6-cylinder.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Premium
232 Posts
This is the result of an oil filter test done not to long ago by an independent lab.

AMSOIL filters are a top tier filter if you don't mind the cost. Royal Purple seems to be on par with the AMSOIL filters and if you can get them for cheaper, you may want to consider swapping out your AMSOIL filter for a Royal Purple. Purolator is a very strong second, if you don't mind the shoddy construction. Stay away from Mitsubishi/DENSO if you can help it and WIX is a great middle of the road filter if you want reasonable price, very good filtration, respectable surface area and quality construction.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
I use WIX premium filters in all of my vehicles because they work very well. A friend of mine actually did an independent comparison of filters on his Monte Carlo. IIRC he compared an OEM ACDelco, FRAM, and WIX. By far and away WIX was the best of the three. Avoid ACDelco filters for any vehicle by any means necessary. I've heard many horror stories of them collapsing and falling apart causing a sudden loss in oil pressure. By that same token, a friend of mine has an '06 Nissan Altima SE-R with the 3.5 VQ35DE. He says that unless he uses an OEM Bosch filter he has very, very little oil pressure.

Bottom line you just need to figure out what works for you. For me the WIX filters are cheap enough and readily available.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow !! Puralator are very good filters !!!! Thats great news...Pep Boys usually has a sale/.......5 quarts of Castrol and Puralator filter....19.99 !!!!!

STOCK UP !!!

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,537 Posts
I can't speak for all the Subaru oil filters, but being a new '13 Outback 2.5i owner, I decided to do tear down and analysis on a few brands of oil filters, to see how they stack up. Of course my first tear down was the OEM filter that came on the car at delivery. This is the 15208AA15A.

I have to say, I was somewhat disappointed. The material is most basic. Filtration material is paper fiber, same as most other cheaper filter lines, although the number of pleats were fairly high, resulting in a pretty good filtration area. But I haven't torn any others down yet to give a comparison.

The bypass filter is of the most basic construction, practically identical to what Champion Labs puts in their entry level Fram filters. (I understand Champion Labs manufactures this filter also.) There is an anti-backflow valve, which appears to be standard on all the aftermarket replacements for this filter also.

My next filter will be the NAPA Platinum. It is only pennies more than the Subaru filter, but is built with synthetic filtration media, which is superior at filtration.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i
114 Posts
I would characterize as follows:

If you have an FB 4cyl engine (2011+ Forester, 2012+ Impreza/Crosstour 2013+ Legacy/Outback) use Subaru OEM filters because of their hi-bypass specs (not met by other manufacturers yet). Do not exceed 7500 mi OCI with OEM filter.

If you have an EJ 4 cyl engine or 6 cyl use:

Any name brand oil filter with short OCI (3-4K)

OEM or mid-high range name brand (Wix, Bosch, Fram extra/tough, etc....) for 7500 mi OCI

Long Life (synthetic media, 3x/6x capacity e.g Mobil1, Fram Ultra, Bosch distance plus, etc..) rated for extended OCI when using extended life synthetic oil with 12-15K OCI - but do extended OCI only when out of warranty.

Also, if you live in a colder region, you will get some fuel economy, sludge and wear benefits by substituting a 0w oil for a 5w oil. For instance, use a 0w-30 synthetic instead of a 5w-30 conventional if your engine requires it.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Yes they do..... P/N PA35592
By the way NAPA oil filters are made by WIX for them... I have been using those for many years on my previous cars....most independent shops use those as they buy them in bulk for a reasonable price that allows them a reasonable markup....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts