Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2020 Outback XT is my 7th new Subaru. I have been a fan since my first one in '95. This will be my last. I have people ask "How is the service department ?" My answer... I don't know, never been there. Until this one. I just can't trust it. The screen just blanks out, changes radio stations, turns off the heat, GPS just stops, etc, etc. (Yes it has all the updates) It's possessed. The "Eye sight" will start telling me to keep my eyes on the road when I'm looking straight ahead, and you have to turn the thing off every time you restart the car, frustrating. The heated seats need three touches to turn on/off, all the time with your eyes off the road. Dangerous. Too many nannies. The garage door opener won't open or close the garage from the driveway !!! I'm on my second mirror, no better. My Corvette will open it from a block away. The seats are OK for a short time, but get too hard after more than a few hours. Tires are junk, I expect more for $40k (I miss my '18 Outback, totaled by deer) I like the turbo, mechanical build quality, ride, sound deadening, radio sound quality, back up camera and all safety devices that can be turned off AND STAY OFF. Five months and 13k miles in and I now wish I would have looked at the competition before buying this one.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
The screen just blanks out
Every state has different lemon laws but your infotainment system screen is also where the backup camera works and because of that if your infotainment screen blanks out then it could be considered a malfunctioning NHSTA mandated safety system and if the dealer can't fix it (again depending on the state) after 3 tries you may qualify for a lemon law.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Every state has different lemon laws but your infotainment system screen is also where the backup camera works and because of that if your infotainment screen blanks out then it could be considered a malfunctioning NHSTA mandated safety system and if the dealer can't fix it (again depending on the state) after 3 tries you may qualify for a lemon law.
Our first OB 2020 XT and same infotainment issues with zero help from service. Last time I pulked over and videotaped the issue because the best they offered was a loaner while they tried to troubleshoot. I declined..,said they would have to loan me one for weeks because the issue is so random.
will try system upgrades as noted in previous comments but wonder why service is clueless.???

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
Our first OB 2020 XT and same infotainment issues with zero help from service. Last time I pulked over and videotaped the issue because the best they offered was a loaner while they tried to troubleshoot. I declined..,said they would have to loan me one for weeks because the issue is so random.
will try system upgrades as noted in previous comments but wonder why service is clueless.???
Some dealerships are better than others - they are all independently owned and operated (or part of a large auto group that isn't owned by Subaru). If you feel like a dealership isn't properly taking care of your car you can at least let Subaru know 1 (800) 782-2783 - they may not do anything for you specifically but if a dealership has lots of complaints then maybe they'll do something to improve dealership training or whatever they can do.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
457 Posts
Just to give it another perspective, my Ford CMax MyTouch system use to tell me "Scheduled Maintenance" and would go blank and reboot like it was possessed. Can you guess which company wrote that software? Starts with M and use to be famous for it's Blue screen of death.

I am sure every model & car with anything electronic will have glitches now & then. However, to Subaru's credit they have immensely improved the stability & LISTENED to complaints with its recent changes such as the Auto S/S now up in front, better sound. Give them time, they will fix things.

ps my MyTouch will, at random, NOT switch off unless you pull the **** fuse. That joy is now my wife's since thats her car now.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
56 Posts
Some dealerships are better than others - they are all independently owned and operated (or part of a large auto group that isn't owned by Subaru). If you feel like a dealership isn't properly taking care of your car you can at least let Subaru know 1 (800) 782-2783 - they may not do anything for you specifically but if a dealership has lots of complaints then maybe they'll do something to improve dealership training or whatever they can do.
Yes! What @SilverOnyx said.

In my experience, if the dealership can’t resolve the issue, SOA will send out divisional representatives who will have researched the issue and are more motivated to solve it. Additionally, if it does take a long time to resolve it, and you have kept SOA involved, they may take steps to make it right in the form of Subaru swag, extended warranties, etc.

I will point out though, that the first tier of representatives you’ll encounter at SOA are just about as likely as the dealer to dismiss issues or approach it half heartedly. I had to go “full Karen” and ask for management (and ask for contact info for Tom Doll) before they put me in touch with a manager who was ready to make something happen. That being said, at that point I had been trying to get my issue resolved for 6 months and had gotten nowhere with the dealer, been “ghosted” by a rep at SOA, and was pretty livid.

·
Registered
2021 XT Touring Popular package #2 OEM Hitch
240 Posts
Yes! What @SilverOnyx said.

In my experience, if the dealership can’t resolve the issue, SOA will send out divisional representatives who will have researched the issue and are more motivated to solve it. Additionally, if it does take a long time to resolve it, and you have kept SOA involved, they may take steps to make it right in the form of Subaru swag, extended warranties, etc.

I will point out though, that the first tier of representatives you’ll encounter at SOA are just about as likely as the dealer to dismiss issues or approach it half heartedly. I had to go “full Karen” and ask for management (and ask for contact info for Tom Doll) before they put me in touch with a manager who was ready to make something happen. That being said, at that point I had been trying to get my issue resolved for 6 months and had gotten nowhere with the dealer, been “ghosted” by a rep at SOA, and was pretty livid.
Sounds like that i have going on with my auto time and date issue. Dealer says they cant fit untill SOA oks or gives them a fix. Now SOA says they dont have a fix . However must have oked the fix for another owner on here.fun times gerr

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a '20 Limited 2.5 and with occasional exceptions have found the power to be totally fine for day to day commuting, road trips and errand running. Twice a month merging onto the highway I wish I had a bit more grunt, but my 30 mpg average (34 on long highway drives) goes a long way towards making up for that. That said, my wife is shopping the '20 Volvo V60 CrossCountry wagon right now which has roughly the hp of the 2.4T but also requires premium unleaded and still only gets about 25 mpg combined, oh, and btw it costs A LOT more moolah. Drove that car and while it's very nice, it's not as roomy as the Outback and depreciates incredibly fast so it will probably be worth less than the Outback in 5 years even starting out $10 or $15k over.

I'm now trying to get her to drive the 2.4T Limited to get a sense of how nice (and fast) it is, fingers crossed, we might be a two Outback family soon.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT Ice Silver Metallic
442 Posts
I have a '20 Limited 2.5 and with occasional exceptions have found the power to be totally fine for day to day commuting, road trips and errand running. Twice a month merging onto the highway I wish I had a bit more grunt, but my 30 mpg average (34 on long highway drives) goes a long way towards making up for that. That said, my wife is shopping the '20 Volvo V60 CrossCountry wagon right now which has roughly the hp of the 2.4T but also requires premium unleaded and still only gets about 25 mpg combined, oh, and btw it costs A LOT more moolah. Drove that car and while it's very nice, it's not as roomy as the Outback and depreciates incredibly fast so it will probably be worth less than the Outback in 5 years even starting out $10 or $15k over.

I'm now trying to get her to drive the 2.4T Limited to get a sense of how nice (and fast) it is, fingers crossed, we might be a two Outback family soon.
My previous Outback had the 2.5 and it would best be described as merely adequate in most situations and anemic in other situations such as attempting to merge into highway traffic or accelerate on any type of uphill grade. The 2.4t in my Ony XT just makes the whole driving experience so much more enjoyable. The 2.4t still happily runs on 87 octane and the gas mileage difference (which I always manually calculate) has been pretty minimal... only 2mpg difference on average in my experience and more than worth it.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx Edition, Storm Trooper White
457 Posts

15.9 gallon tank as well. Not only poorer MPG but you're gassing it up more often as well

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
Why not go whole hog and get her in the Touring XT?

41 - 51 of 51 Posts