Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi checking on my wife's car she's says it shudders when cold from second to third gear, I tested it warm sometimes it shudders when you accelerate from 2nd to third gear, but sometimes it goes very smooth.

Hooked up my freessm reader no codes checked it later with another reader P0303 misfire code, reset it and take it for a spin, it didnt appears right now but car still shudders from cold when changing from second to third gear, when it's warm it's 98% better but still shudders sometime when you goes from 2nd to 4 gear.

Atf fluid is not 100% good but have oil gonna change it later.

Plugs never changed 11000 miles now from new.

Have ordered plugs, but new coil has arrived before the plugs.. Anyone thinks that i should test to change coil pack before plugs or wait and start with plugs?

Best regards

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,395 Posts
look for oil on the plug wire boots and plug insulators. valve covers may be leaking.

what kind of plugs were used 11K ago? NGK is MUCH preferred, check the owner's manual

plug wires can be a problem but usually on cars older than yours. Coil might be last on the list as it often affects 2 cylinders with the 'waste spark' type of ignition we have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Plugs are probadly stock ngk who was delivered with car when it was new.

Have gone through service history from new, they have changed oil, brakes wheel bearings and atf oil and filters of course but no mark or recipe ever on sparkplugs so i suppose it still runs same plug as new...

So time for change, but seen some problem with coil also so I'm tempted to try it first.. But don't know if it's a good idea first..

·
Premium Member
18,395 Posts
so, what is the total mileage on the car now?

where are you located?

is the car garaged or kept outdoors?

·
Premium Member
18,395 Posts
NGK copper plugs should be good for 30K miles or more so (if some other brand, probably good idea to put new NGK plugs in) , you might start by swapping plugwires around - and examine them for oil.

see if misfire moves to a different cylinder.

are mornings wet/damp where you live?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it didn't get much better with another coil, so plugs is next test, still shudders sometimes when you brake down from highway and accelerate again.

Removed plug boot nr 3 lots of oil in plug boot so now i need new valve cover gasket and plug seals also, think I'm gonna wait for my plugs and order new wires then change valve cover gasket and plug seals and change plugs and wires at the same time

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,945 Posts
the OEM subaru coil is a superior product that does not typically go bad unless the hood is smashed into it or it has 250,000 miles on it.

hope you get it sorted with new valve cover gaskets/ plug tube seals

NGK plugs and wires.

I have NGK double platinum plugs on my H4 car,...not that much more expensive then the regular NGK plugs as they are so tiny.

_

valve covers might need some goop,.. in prescribed places in the free service manual for that particular engine.

this is the gasket maker I bought, ... in the ez cheese can for easy dispensing one handed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBNU4U/

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have ordered fel-pro kit with plug seals also

Ngk wires and ngk plugs

Gonna call around also and compare price on different shops for this job, watch guys on YouTube did this work on everything from 30 minutes to 1 hour+ so if (stealership) Subaru tells me that it's a 3-4 hours work i now that they are trying to milk my cash.. :)

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,796 Posts
How do you loose[n the] clip from [the] coil pack do you press it in our out, it won't come off.
May be moot at this point, but FWIW these are snap-lock connectors that need to have the latch pushed in to release the connector. Just explore and push in at various locations around the perimeter and you'll find the latch release, at which point the connection will come apart easily. And don't ever just pull by the wires, as that can destroy the retention on the connection terminal inside.

·
Registered
'98-2.5L & '05-3.0L Subaru Outback Wagons
142 Posts
I believe that Fel-Pro is the best there is. Used them on my gen 2 H6 valve covers and plug tubes. Bone dry.
I also used Autolite Iridium spark plugs. Much less expensive than the NGK and I have had better results with the Autolites on tough applications (2 stroke and high compression engines). They look almost identical to the NGK plugs if that makes a difference to you.

Trig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the car back today from the workshop did choose a Subaru workshop, running like champ now again after new plugs, wires and valve cover and spark plugs seals were fitted after that i cleared the code myself outside Subaru .. Subaru was trying to make me buy the oem gaskets kit instead of my own fel-pro, did told them no Subaru oem gaskets on this car and i want all old parts back too, So I can see that everything was replaced.. Think they are not used to have customers who know what they want period.

But the work was good and running very good now, so if anyone have P0303 on just replace all this stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts