Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Subaru Outback 2.5, 2016, 2.5 2014
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I am pretty new to the group, we own two outbacks one is 2014 and another is a 2016 both outbacks and we love the car for pretty much everything other than its clunky UI and Infotainment system. I am in the market to switch over to an apple car play. Few questions: 1. Does anyone know if there is an upcoming software update by Subaru, that will allow the apple car play to be integrated with the existing system? May be this update can be introduced to the the car unit via the sd card. 2. Is swapping out the head unit the only way to get the apple carplay? Something with a pioneer system or something similar? Please recommend. 3. Even if I were to change out the head unit how would i replace the knobs etc which are existing?
Any information, recommendation or advice is acceptable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Check out Crutchfield. They have one solution for my 2012 Outback that requires modification of the mounting hardware. Doesn't seem to be an elegant solution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Most people gloss over all the things you lose with these aftermarket solutions including:

- No SiriusXM Radio
- No HD Radio (regular FM/AM only)
- Loss of Steering wheel controls (volume, answer call, voice control, etc)
- No Factory Backup camera (have to install a new one).

And on top of that this thing doesn't even add Android Auto or Carplay. Instead you get an outdated version of Android which may or may not run the apps you want.

I'm still holding out hope that the Outback 2018 infotainment unit can be purchased aftermarket and installed in older models.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,743 Posts
There are a couple threads (or maybe they were merged) regarding an update, or lack of, to add this capability. There is a hardware authentication that is needed for CarPlay, this hardware authentication is simply not there on the 2015-2017 head-units.

As for installing a 2018 HU in a 2015-2017, that may or may not be possible. It's in one of those threads but I seem to recall that the screen sizes are different in the 2018 so it may not be possible.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
There are a couple threads (or maybe they were merged) regarding an update, or lack of, to add this capability. There is a hardware authentication that is needed for CarPlay, this hardware authentication is simply not there on the 2015-2017 head-units.

As for installing a 2018 HU in a 2015-2017, that may or may not be possible. It's in one of those threads but I seem to recall that the screen sizes are different in the 2018 so it may not be possible.
The screen size is different in 2018 but if you combine HU and A.C. controls in both cars they seem to be plug compatible with each other.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts