Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a new outback that is 3-4 months old. The fob is unable to open the car door. Also, once i get in car using the key that comes with the fob, i cannot start the car by placing the fob up close to the start button. I am not sure if this is a fob battery issue but i only have it 3-4 months or if the fob has somehow become unpaired from the car.
I did recently get the voluntary software update at Subaru dealership. Not sure how i can get car to dealership cos it is still under warranty. Any suggestions on what might be wrong are appreciated.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Does the second fob work? You should have two of them.

The fob should start the car if it’s held up right next to the start button. Normally, if you have your foot on the brake pedal, and move the fob close to the button (and the battery in the fob is dead) the dash lights will come on by themselves, then you can start the car.

Do the headlights come on? (Turn them to ON from AUTO after you open the door). How about the interior lights? (Dome/map lights). Maybe the main battery is dead? Or discharged enough to not start the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the second fob work? You should have two of them.

The fob should start the car if it’s held up right next to the start button. Normally, if you have your foot on the brake pedal, and move the fob close to the button (and the battery in the fob is dead) the dash lights will come on by themselves, then you can start the car.

Do the headlights come on? (Turn them to ON from AUTO after you open the door). How about the interior lights? (Dome/map lights). Maybe the main battery is dead? Or discharged enough to not start the car?
second fob was lost.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
799 Posts
So - no lights on the dash - or yes?? No messages displayed in the centre of the dash?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No lights on dash. Nothing will come on. Cannot even lock the car from the door handle on inside as i get out. I am thinking i need to check the main battery even though it only has 1300 miles on the new car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
You might have completely drained battery. Can happen if rear gate opens without you knowing. Also could have a parasitic drain caused by something that is not obvious.

AFAIK, you can cause a complete drain by leaving a fob in the car, as so many are prone to do when they park in a garage - not something I'd ever do. Thief gets into garage, car is gone. Fob and car electrical system talk to each other all night when you leave the fob in the car. See if you can boost to start then go for at least 20 minute drive at steady speed - or get a trickle charger suitable for AGM type battery if that's what you have.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
If your second (lost) fob is located inside the car it MIGHT contribute to parasitic drain preventing the car from fully going to sleep. This is controversial because some members have no problem leaving the fob in the car and having no drain, while others claim to have had drain because of it. I don't think anyone is lying - it's just one of those things where circumstances may differ in some unknown way.

·
Registered
¡2020 Outback Touring XT con pantalones gigantes!
36 Posts
... The fob is unable to open the car door. Also, once i get in car using the key that comes with the fob, i cannot start the car by placing the fob up close to the start button. ...
Hi Philip; sorry your car is having trouble.

I’ve experienced the exact same symptoms- twice. My car had less than 2000 miles on the thing in both cases.

I checked the voltage on the battery using my meter both times. In both instances, the battery read less than 3V. I jumped the car from a portable jump-starter both times. The car started right up. In the first instance, this tripped all sorts of warning lights and alerts related to the EyeSight and Rear Automatic Brake systems. According to the manual (forgive me for not citing section & page numbers) these behaviors are expected & require some sort of service to properly dismiss.

The second time the battery discharged, after jumping the car, the warnings went away.

I’m guessing neither system was adversely affected, and rather the power interruption and resumption triggered the alert & the subsequent alert reset.

Serendipitously, I just picked my car up from being serviced today; they tested the battery and read over 800 cold cranking amps. Despite my best efforts, I haven’t killed the battery.

The principle of minimum astonishment leads me
to conclude that I left an interior light on while the car was parked for several days. This conclusion is further supported by the fact that I am dumb.

I’d wager your car is supergreat. I’d recommend keeping a charged jump-starter handy. I’m partial to those units that feature a proper sealed lead-acid battery over lithium ion batteries or supercapacitors.

Hope this helps and that you’re enjoying your car!

Dave

tl/dr:
I left a light on and drained the battery twice. Jumped the car twice.
One time bad naughtytime lights came on.
Second time they went away.
Battery good; car dope.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,352 Posts
My sig, line 2.

Reactions: DanielAcosta

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
I presume you checked thoroughly in all the nooks and crannies like in the spare tire compartment, eyeglass holder, between the seats, under the seat rails?

·
Registered
799 Posts
My spare is tucked away since I'm the only driver of my car and you only need one in that case. However, if I was in the same boat as other households I'd get those 'finder' tags that you put on things you don't want to lose. You activate the tag with your phone (or perhaps a companion device) and the tag beeps if it's in range. Not foolproof perhaps, but better than nothing.

Not that I want to open a can of worms about fobs, but I made a Faraday kind of box for mine and junior's and mounted it in the hall closet. I think he was a bit more anxious about having his fob signal hijacked than me, though. Trouble is, I have no idea how to test its efficiency.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
I made a Faraday kind of box for mine and junior's and mounted it in the hall closet. I think he was a bit more anxious about having his fob signal hijacked than me, though. Trouble is, I have no idea how to test its efficiency.
I tested a faraday box containing a fob by bringing it to the car and then touching the handle to see if it unlocks.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The idea though, is to prevent anyone with a laptop, antenna and software from getting the signal from the fob. Does that mean that what's really important is the efficiency from the box to your front door? If the box leaks when standing next to your car you'd say it doesn't work - but does it work when it's in position? I realize that if it won't communicate with the car when you're standing beside it, then it will do the job when the box is in position. Perhaps standing at the car is the only test, unless you know someone with the gear!

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
8,920 Posts
I don't know anyone with the real tech and even if I did I couldn't tell you. :censored:

I have found though that putting the box with the fob inside it next to the car really reveals how leaky things are when you think you've made a "faraday box". It was purely for experimental purposes but I found I needed to put foil tape around the seams of a solid metal box.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm going to place the box with my fob in it next to my car and see what happens. Will report back when done.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts