Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
  • Submissions are now being taken for JUNE OUTBACK OF THE MONTH
61 - 80 of 89 Posts

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
It is important to know that there are several ways the ... header-back exhaust can be done. This car followed a design recommended by XRT.

Just like an old school Chevy 350...you can screw up the flow with the wrong exhaust layout. You can decrease performance, increase noise and spend a bunch of money on something you can't stand.

I am sure XRT can offer advice for anyone serious.

LoL. This thread certainly beats the (boring) Pegasus' threads.
Those headers are sick!
This a what the 3.6R can really do...BTW, you want boring...check out my threads. If you want I can show you another picture of Frankie's engine compartment. SnooZZZZe.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
TimB - 2011 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - My 3.6R Tuned by XRT (XtremeRacingTuning.com)
Reporting back after two months. Cars now even quicker. I've been working with Ed for the past few days and he's managed to extract a little more power out of the car. She's now running to 60 in 6.9 from the 7.3 back in July, slowly becoming quicker it seems. I'm still amazed that this much as come out of a completely stock car, aside from proper maintenance and some oil additive (Nanotech Lubricants). Once the suspension is sorted it'll be time for the exhaust and possible intake mods.

I just have to say, it's been a pleasure working with Ed from XRT. He's available around most of the clock and has been tuning to near perfection. Has no problem playing with sound and throttle to get the car how you like it. It's not about massive amounts of wheel power but about you simply enjoying driving your car and having it the way you like. My plans were never "because racecar" but a Legacy Grand Tourer, with loads of torque and yet still remains comfortable for long trips. It's slowly coming together. My advice to anyone out there that has worries, just do it. You won't be disappointed :)

Here's a link to my tuning thread:

Xtreme Racing Tuning ? View topic - TimB - 2011 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Tim's Your Guy-Ed too

Tim is a young, very smart guy. In very many ways. In education, tenacity, choice of vehicular platform...OR choice in a tuner. He may have a Leggy...so his forum posts are elsewhere..But his experience should be considered, and recognized.

3.6 OBs are not cousins...they are Brothers...

XRT is the best value that you can invest in your car...I am not a spokesperson...I am a client. Hands Down..

:6:

Registered
2013 3.6 RS w/ Eyesight: ECU & TCU Tuned by XRT, Raptor Headers, Magnaflow Cats, Resonator & Muffs, Drilled & Slotted Brakes, TDCK Trans. Insert & Sway Bar Bushings, Skid Plates, RSB Upgrade, PIAA Ye
So over the past few months Ed has tuned one of the XRT chatty buddies non-Raptor 3.6R to sub 6 second 0-60...so I asked if he could work some of that new magic for me. That evening I had a new ROM, flashed it & drove...cool, little more torque every where...wow, quicker & firmer shifts...nice, extra whooshing exhaust sound above 4K rpms! Sent Ed logs & big thanks...next morning I had a B version of day before ROM. Flashed it & drove to work, everything was even a little better, except now above 4K rpms it feels like "Boost, VTEC or NOS" just kicked in! My OB with headers & XRT tunning was already fast, but WOW this latest ROM sure is a nice kick in the ass that feels so great :lol:

Thanks Ed, keep kicking ass!

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I like to graph certain parameters of logs grouped together. I like to look at my throttle pedal angle, gear, rpm, and speed (sometimes boost) all together.

I was losing my mind trying to watch that "happy, bouncy little eco gauge", rpms, gear and speed all at the same time. Where is RR and Excel so I can graph it...

That car is stock (I do believe) , except for XRT magic. Nice work guys...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
XRT has upgraded its 5EAT tuning for 2017. We are now offer 5EAT-Stage 2 at stage 1 level to show our full commitment to performance and better experience. That implies in out aim to achieve greater 5EAT performance from shifting to acceleration to greater take off, we have developed a very new XRT-5EAT-Stage 2. Its really a Stage 3, but to keep all of these maps in check, there is no need to have so much variety and thereby offer you the customer the simplicity in tuning.

Please see the below vids for the New Stage 2 tuning:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
TylerM - 2012 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning

TylerM - 2012 USDM Subaru Legacy H6 3.6 5EAT - Tuning
Sent: Monday, 30 January 2017 9:42 PM
To: [email protected]
Reply To: Tyler Martin
Subject: Re: v5b

Okay, wow. That made a difference. The shifting is MUCH quicker. The old version did a bit of guessing with what gear to be in, especially with slow accelerations. It is much smarter in deciding what gear to be in. When cruising along at 55mph and then suddenly giving it a lot of gas, the car immediately knows what gear to downshift to and power is put down incredibly quickly. This new stage 2 is amazing!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Sent: Monday, 6 February 2017 2:57 AM
To: XRT
Subject: Re: TOWNE_v5a_log

Hi Ed,

Oh Ed, you hit a home run with these tweaks to my V5A!! When i drive in automatic, it stays in gear longer before shifting gears. The gas pedal/response from the car is amazing. I feel like the transmission isn't so quick to get to 5th gear.
https://www.facebook.com/XtremeRaci...5?notif_t=page_wall&notif_id=1486406542264301
An XRT Journey
By Staci Towne

This journey all started when I saw a supercharged white Legacy 3.6R; I have a need to be different鈥 so, I decided I wanted to SC my Leggy as well, isn't imitation the sincerest form of flattery? Wow, I decided to travel down an expensive road鈥 now that we've covered my need to go fast, to stand out from the crowd, and the ability to spend a ton of money really well, that's when Ed entered my life.

Ed has shown me that he's extremely knowledgeable when it comes to the H6 motor and 5EATs. He's taken my intake and catback exhaust and made it work better for the car. He's tweaked the 5EAT in such a way that the car isn't in such a hurry to shift through to 5th gear. Here's what I mean, Ed had sent me V5a for my car; I loaded it up and started driving to my friend's house. When I left the red light, I could notice the car staying in gear longer than usual, which I think is nice, higher revs, before shifting into a higher gear. The throttle response is amazing under foot. I can press down a little and there's a responsive downshift in gears when I ask for it. I'm currently waiting for my Raptor headers to ship so I can get that installed and ready for the Raptor SC to ship also. Ed is going to tune my 3.6R all the way to completion of this project. And I'll be honest, he's my tuner for life, sorry Ed, you're stuck with me!!

I started this project as a total noob. I had no idea how to 'flash' my ECU on my car, Ed walked me through the first couple of times. Ed has the patience of a saint when it comes to me as a client. My life doesn't always let me go out and mess around with my car in a timely manner, so Ed has to wait for me鈥 a lot. I'm so grateful for this. He also pushes me when I need it, I'm grateful for this also.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ed is a top-notch tuner and the only tuner that will touch my #LeadFootLegacy. I'm extremely happy to be a part of the XRT family.

Premium Member
2014 Outback 3.6R Limited
I just bought a 2014 OB 3.6R Limited (22k mi).
Also just found this thread.
I don't know much about tuning, and I am not considering racing. In fact I pretty satisfied with the response of the powertrain as is. However, I was looking for posts on deleting the top speed limiter.

Could something be done for just that?
Thanks,
JoelH.
P.S. I guess I would like to learn what benefits your tuning might have for the non racing crowd.

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
I just bought a 2014 OB 3.6R Limited (22k mi).
Also just found this thread.
I don't know much about tuning, and I am not considering racing. In fact I pretty satisfied with the response of the powertrain as is. However, I was looking for posts on deleting the top speed limiter.

Could something be done for just that?
Thanks,
JoelH.
Not sure. Ed is a master.. @west_minist ?

If you think you like the way your 5EAT behaves...then wait until XRT does a smack down on her. I have (2) Xt's one tuned...one not. One, shifts OK...no serious complaints.

The XRT tuned car...is the best d*mn AT I have ever driven or owned. I just need to invest the $ in the new car. And tdck doesn't mod on credit.

Search my build threads....Frankenwagon is pretty tricked out. My XRT 5EAT is still the best part of my car. XRT is the best Mod $ I have ever spent.

Premium Member
Oh sorry, I thought it was his thread.
So his tuning is mostly transmission? Or engine and trans?
As I said, I'm pretty green.

On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd

Master Caster
馃枻馃挃馃挋 3 Beautiful OBXTs
Oh sorry, I thought it was his thread.
So his tuning is mostly transmission? Or engine and trans?
As I said, I'm pretty green.
It is, but we are good friends I know he's busy. I try to ping him off forum as well to respond.

Ed tunes it all. The 5EAT has a lot on the table that can be modified. The 3.6 leaves much on table as well. XRT is a full tuning service, 2.5 4EAT to 600HP turbos...

Premium Member
I sent him a message, so I could wait.
But is it all, as I'm reading, via laptop or is there plug and play?
I don't own a LT

Reactions: BigChris
61 - 80 of 89 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.