Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
NYC garages have all station wagons as acceptable standard vehicles and NOT oversized. Yet at several garages recently in NYC we were charged a $15 extra fee with the OUTBACK listed as an oversized vehicle. This is ridiculous and someone needs to set the record straight for all NYC parking garages. How can this be done?

What can be done to stop the NYC garages overcharging Outback owners with the oversize claim?

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,673 Posts
up until 2020 Subaru called it their wagon so....

·
Registered
53 Posts
What dimensions are considered "Oversized".

From what I see the 2021 Outback is 191″ L x 73″ W x 66″ H

From a quick search NYC Oversized guidelines are:
the general rule that determines if a vehicle is oversize requires the vehicle to be 181 inches in length or longer or 65 inches in height or higher.

So by this....it is oversized...

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
My understanding is that most anything longer than 180" is considered oversize. I suspect changing that rule will not be easy. I doubt NYC or it's parking facilities are looking to lose revenue.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,708 Posts
Yeah, nothing you can really do what I’ve seen. I just take a sedan or find street parking.

Reactions: VanWaXT

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
97 Posts
Good luck fighting City Hall in NYC. You have a better chance of getting on Augusta National in denim shorts and a tank top. Ha

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
1,063 Posts
NYC garages have all station wagons as acceptable standard vehicles and NOT oversized. Yet at several garages recently in NYC we were charged a $15 extra fee with the OUTBACK listed as an oversized vehicle. This is ridiculous and someone needs to set the record straight for all NYC parking garages. How can this be done?

What can be done to stop the NYC garages overcharging Outback owners with the oversize claim?
Mod comment: Amazing that we have to edit political stuff but it still happens.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
96 Posts
Yeah, nothing you can really do what I’ve seen. I just take a sedan or find street parking.
Totally agree. Just get a $500 commute-hooptie and save the OB for real driving.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,642 Posts
Sounds like a cash grab to me.

Reactions: Brucey

·
Registered
91 Posts
When I use the parking App (Spot Hero) they would list the Outback as oversized, and if I just pull up to the same garage I get charged the normal price. I had one guy tell me to cancel Spot Hero reservation and i'll charge you the normal price.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Forester Premium, Crystal Black Silica, Pkg 15
1,708 Posts
I’ve also taken the Path in depending on where I am going. It’s cheap, like $2.50 each way per person. Or, take the train in and save the $16 tunnel toll.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,069 Posts
the general rule that determines if a vehicle is oversize requires the vehicle to be 181 inches in length or longer
That might qualify A LOT of vehicles as 'oversize". The Camry, Accord and Legacy are all over 190" in overall length. These are all 'midsize' cars, not 'full size'...

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
275 Posts
Get out of NYC if possible
Don't you have to let the attendant park your car, no self parking ? I worry more about the damage done to the cars in those places.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon 2.5L XT Limited
141 Posts
Some of those parking garages, don't actually have real parking spots. My Grandma use to park in those garages for decades. I would call them parking stalls. You would have to tell them a time frame on when you are coming back, so they can park your car so it can easily be gotten too. Otherwise, they would have to move like 4 cars, just to get your car out. So yes, I can understand why they would want to charge a oversize car fee. I am not saying it is right.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Just another means at a money grab...... just stand still too long in NYC or they’ll tax you for the space.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,197 Posts
I've been thinking back to the last time I paid for parking. I think I paid $5 to park at the Street Rod Nationals car show in Springfield, MO last year and seem to remember putting a quarter in a parking meter somewhere maybe about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,758 Posts
Been that way in NYC for years, unfortunately. Anything much larger than a Subaru Justy is considered "oversized". I remember getting a hard time over our 2013 Honda CR-V at 181 (?) inches?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts