Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my headlights on my Subaru Outback (2014) are not working. The strange thing is that left and right are both out AND, the high beams do work!

I checked the fuses (there's a separate fuse for left and right AND low vs. high beam) and they look fine. It's hard to believe both bulbs went out at once. Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?

Full disclosures...
1. I recently took car through automatic car wash and am wondering if this could have something to do with it. A short perhaps? But it would have to affect both left and right headlights.
2. I can't say with 100% certainty that it started right after the car wash. I don't drive that much at night AND when I do, I throw on the headlights AND the fog lights. It's possible that the fog lights put out enough light that I didn't think anything was amiss.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2012 outback-2006 Impreza
16 Posts
these cars eat bulbs, and chances are one was out earlier and you didn't notice. Our 2012 constantly needs new bulbs, the factory headlight bulbs both went out within a very short time of each other

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!! I've ordered some headlight bulbs and will try that. Hopefully can return them if necessary! Is it easy to swap them out? Manual mentions taking fender cover off which doesn't see too bad.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
My 2010 did this at year 2. Relay failed. Dealer replaced it in a quick visit told me it was an easy fix. Mine was under warranty.

Bulbs do fail but not both at the same time. I never use auto I simply turn them on when needed. I got 6yrs out of the originals.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. In my case it really was that both low beam bulbs were out. I suspect since I always tend to put the fog lights on as well, I didn't notice when one light went out and only noticed when they both went out. Anyhow, it's a pain in the a$$ to replace them on a 2014 model year. This was the best video I found:

As far as relay, you can get some idea if that's working by turning the ignition as far as you can go without actually turning the engine on. Then play with the lights and listen for "click". That's the relay. Of course it would be nice if I could find a diagram showing which relay is which so I could swap them around, but I never found that diagram. Sigh...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2010 did this at year 2. Relay failed. Dealer replaced it in a quick visit told me it was an easy fix. Mine was under warranty.

Bulbs do fail but not both at the same time. I never use auto I simply turn them on when needed. I got 6yrs out of the originals.
Hi - I noticed both my front headlights after servicing - (reason why I took it in - check engine light flashing, cruise control light flashing, brake light flashing - this was on 2/11/20) the charges 1400.00 - it was a gasket trans cover to replace. Half labor and one part $800.00. Then I drove for a about a week - noticed the the headlights not working while driving at night. Took again to Subaru - the replaced both bulbs. This was on 8/31/20
Now - 10/24 - Light not working again. Have to take into Subaru. I will mention the relay - thanks.. I don’t know what is going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts