Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in NYC today for lunch, and while waiting for the attendant in a parking garage near 44th St and 9th Ave, a woman in her 60s came up to me, pointed to my 2005 Outback 2.5i Limited, and asked, "Do you like this?" Her husband then caught up to hear my response.

Interesting.

After explaining how I had it for two weeks, but like it much (didn't mention the front-end vibration and looseness which the Service Department claims they did not fix - because that would be admitting a ship problem - but they did). I then went into my history of cars from German, US and other Japanese makes, and the autos which I compared with the Outback before making this decision. She perked up when I mentioned Volvo, as it's something they were looking at, being used to Mercedes and similar Euro-styled cars for many decades. She also talked about how her son is considering the Passat wagon, but is now looking at the Subaru and likes what he sees.

We talked about car features and related lifestyles for about two blocks before they went into a theatre as I continued on to my lunch meeting, but I realized afterwards how easy it was to speak well of the Subaru's obvious strengths, note that it's definitely not a German car but doesn't need to be, and that her other choices were fine, just weak in comparison to the Subaru for areas which she should weigh in terms of personal importance. She also asked about any knowledge I have if the Forester, and with a 2004 XS in our family, it was easy to discuss that model vs. the Outback in terms of ride, storage, handling, features/price, etc.

One year ago, we had an Audi and Toyota in the driveway. Now, we have two black Subarus looking mighty complementary in front of our house (no garage - it was turned into a guest room in our split before we bought the place). My, how things can change suddenly, and I guess you can say that I've unwittingly become a "Subaru evangelist", yet I freely admit to their weaknesses which I happen to know.

Do you find yourself pumping up the Subaru brand or your specific model(s) in casual conversation with strangers, and do you get people asking about your car out of the blue? Just curious.

- wader

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I do a lot of private sales if you wish to call it that. At work I push Subaru real well, I even mentioned it to my father whom may be trading the Town Car. I inject the word AWD or Subaru into many conversations. And I find myself in a position like a sales person describing all aspects of buying a new one. Brian

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Subopath that i am, the head gasket woes make me nervous pitching them as hard as i'd like. pity, as what else plays both Jeep and Miata pretty well?

my lady had owned her CR-V for less than a week before she realized that it didn't drive nearly as well as my Subie, and before i was kicking self for not being pushier abt her test driving an OB, not just a forester, before she closed deal on Honda....:(

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Ask anyone who is lucky enough to talk to me on a daily basis (yeah right!) and they will probably run their mouth off about how I never stop talking about Subarus. Seriously, never. Once an hour at work wouldn't be stretching it. I'm slightly obsessed, but with good reason.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
I hope I am responsible for two Subaru sales since I got my OB in August: one leftover '04 Forester and one '05 Outback 2.5i. I did lose a "sale" to a colleague who opted for the VW Passat wagon.

Interesting, we looked at the CR-V, and my wife dismissed it as "dull." Now the problem is sharing the OBXT.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Funny you ask. I bought my 200 OBW in august of this year. About a couple months after my purchase my aunt noticed my recent investment and she too was in the market for a new car. She asked what i thought of my car and much like FMGreen i couldn't stop praising it. She had been the previous owner of like 3 audi's and liked them alot.

During thanksgiving i noticed a brand new 3.0 R in her driveway. I didnt know who owned it but i ws determined to find out. After asking practially eeveryone in my family i finally discovered it was hers. She said it was due to my reccomendation that she tried it out. She felt as though it was about the same ride quality of an audi but with a fraction of the price. It's nice to know that i can still make a positive difference in this complicated world we live in.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Luke,

They were making Outbacks in 200! (was that AD or BC?) :)

Just kidding. Hey, maybe we should accumulate all of our sales and submit them to SOA. Get a cut or something. Might help me out this holiday season.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
Mudge
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing