Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to Order some oil filters for my two Subaru s. Like every other online parts search I found the part numbers. Except when online with Subarupartsonline CHAT, they are the only site that didn't go up to MY2020. So I asked for the filter number for a 2020 Outback XT (2.4 Turbo). They could not give me a part # with out a vin#. Well I did not have vin# handy. Went to another site and placed my order with no Vin#.
I can t imagine how such a simple order could not be placed. Now I would have no confidence in their online site.
LOL, Amazon had OEM filters and numbers with no hassle and prime free shipping.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,156 Posts
I can t imagine how such a simple order could not be placed.
They probably got tired of people not knowing what vehicle model they had, ordering the wrong item, and then returning it. It adds cost, even if the customer pays the return shipping.

Is it necessary? Only with some people and some models. Is it the only way to do this? No. Is it a good business model? Apparently yes, or they wouldn't do it.

So what's the big deal here? Just keep your VIN handy on your system, grab it when you need it, and roll with it.

Now I would have no confidence in their online site.
To the contrary, I have every confidence with such a system - it shows they are paying attention and know there can be differences even within one model year, as the 2005 2.5i experienced, for example.

And the upside is, if they ship me something incorrect, I can just point to the VIN I gave them and say "your systems have an issue, now ship me the correct part."

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we agreed to disagree, I don t carry my vin handy , never did, I can walk in any parts store , including amazon and knowing my engine, model etc etc get a simple filter. There site was not up to date with 2020 s yet, other sites had 2020s already. and the CHAT guy refused to help without vin#... I ve been servicing my cars for 40 years and this is not good service IMO. Went to another site and got them in 2 mins.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alls that their system shows me is they can t take a simple order because the person taking it doesn't have a clue and needs to be held by the hand.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Try ordering a part from any other dealer, first thing they ask for is VIN #. It's the same for my Ford. As mentioned it's probably from all the knuckleheads ordering the wrong part and returning.

I've ordered a ton from them, never had an issue.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Limited
22 Posts
we agreed to disagree, I don t carry my vin handy , never did, I can walk in any parts store , including amazon and knowing my engine, model etc etc get a simple filter. There site was not up to date with 2020 s yet, other sites had 2020s already. and the CHAT guy refused to help without vin#... I ve been servicing my cars for 40 years and this is not good service IMO. Went to another site and got them in 2 mins.
Cerbomark,
I don't like entering my VIN, but recognize that it is the best way to protect the vendor and myself.
As far as not keeping your VIN handy - my state registration certificate and my insurance car each have my car's VIN on them. If you check those, you will likely find the VIN number is always with you (unless you leave them in the car's glovebox.) Being able to actually READ that extra-fine printing is more difficult than finding the VIN, for me at least.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts