Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped by a dealer in my travels today.
One salesman said they received an email from Subaru that shipments were on hold due to a quality check?
Got there after closing..took some pics
See 2019 vs 2020 plus Onyx pics.
Whenever I retire I will get the Onyx XT - likely in blue
Interior looked fabulous

Saw a green 2020 Touring XT...looked nice inside

20190904_193153.jpg
20190904_193153.jpg
20190904_192331.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT
146 Posts
I sat in a 2.5i white Touring this afternoon. I have a brown Touring XT on order. I didn't get to drive it, or even play with the HU as it hadn't been through service yet and they need to put fuses in (the HU wasn't even powered up). I did get to start it. It is very comfortable IMO. I thought that the armrests (door & center) were well placed, and the full HU was within reach. Seat, for me, was very snug, in a good way. I do wish there was more storage, that is definitely on the skimpy side. I'm currently driving a 17 Ram 1500 sport, and there is a ton of storage, but some of the controls on the dash require more stretching than what I felt the Outback required. Dealer is going to call me as soon as they have any XT on the lot so that I can take it for a spin and get a real impression, but if anything I am more excited than I was previously. This is a very nice automobile!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
869 Posts
I was skeptical of the back end on the new Outbacks at first but the more I look at it (in pictures like above and from seeing it in real life) the more I am loving how the pointy light cluster works with the sharp angles on the rest of the surfaces.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Only thing I've seen anywhere is the 2020s are being held so they can clear dealer lots of the 2019s. I ordered a red Limited and was told it would come in at the end of October. I'm hoping it will come in sooner. I'm anxious to get rid of my 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am in NYC and on the market for an XT Limited ... like today! ... Returned a Volvo lease over 2 weeks ago and we are without a car. Been really considering a Buick TourX but several things concern me with it even though out the door pricing is aggressive.

We also had every single gen Forester in the family since the 2005 models and know they are pretty bulletproof so it looks like the Limited XT will be it. I sat in it at the NY Auto Show so know the fit and finish is great.

Local dealers have no word on XT's however and have base engine ones trickling in this month and next.
Not sure what to do as I need something fairly quick ...

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,231 Posts
I was skeptical of the back end on the new Outbacks at first but the more I look at it (in pictures like above and from seeing it in real life) the more I am loving how the pointy light cluster works with the sharp angles on the rest of the surfaces.
I remain skeptical. When I look at the tailend lighting, I see "lobster claw paws". The amount of black cladding (?) makes the vehicle look cheaper to me, but that's just my take. The other pictures I've seen of the front... Well, all I can say is the back looks better than the front.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
733 Posts
I remain skeptical. When I look at the tailend lighting, I see "lobster claw paws". The amount of black cladding (?) makes the vehicle look cheaper to me, but that's just my take. The other pictures I've seen of the front... Well, all I can say is the back looks better than the front.
Agree, the black cladding is way overdone front and back. Taillights are ok not as C- shaped as the new Forester

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am in NYC and on the market for an XT Limited ... like today! ... Returned a Volvo lease over 2 weeks ago and we are without a car. Been really considering a Buick TourX but several things concern me with it even though out the door pricing is aggressive.

We also had every single gen Forester in the family since the 2005 models and know they are pretty bulletproof so it looks like the Limited XT will be it. I sat in it at the NY Auto Show so know the fit and finish is great.

Local dealers have no word on XT's however and have base engine ones trickling in this month and next.

I would be leery of the TourX... Saw one a while back and it does look sharp, but it is made in Germany and is a low volume vehicle. Good luck getting parts for it on a timely basis at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
869 Posts
I kinda like all the plastic. Hoping it will keep the paint from getting dinged from gravel roads. To me, it looks more rugged. To each their own, of course.
I like the cladding as well. If I look at my current Impreza and see where the dings, scrapes and chips are, it is exactly the locations that the cladding now covers on the 2020.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,085 Posts

Well, all I can say is the back looks better than the front.
I agree. And I find that to be true for the current Gen 5 as well. Don't think the Outbacks front is the prettiest around. :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lots of comments on the cladding...I think it looks better on the new model - especially on the darker models basis pics I've seen. On the front, it goes all the way across, and like chvvkumar said, it will protect the metal better. Subaru engineers looked at this and made an improvement. Seems like I have seen commercials for products that would keep the cladding shiny. Overall, my impression is that the 2020 looks better on the outside. With the inside, there is less space in the cockpit, but it looks nice and clean. The salesman raved about the 2.5T turbo vs the standard engine, but we all know it isn't that much faster off the line. I love my Legacy company car and will get an Onyx XT when I get retired.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I really like the cladding as well, especially below the doors...hoping it sticks out far enough to eliminate door dings without putting on side protection strips...I hate having to be so careful in parking lots!

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
733 Posts
We are talking about the from and rear black plastic that has nothing to do with door dings and it protects a plastic bumper. Subaru says they designed the new Outback to look like a expensive looking hiking shoe. I think they where bored and had to come up with some difference exterior wise since it looks almost identical to Gen 5

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would be leery of the TourX... Saw one a while back and it does look sharp, but it is made in Germany and is a low volume vehicle. Good luck getting parts for it on a timely basis at a reasonable cost.
You're right and the lack of parts is the main issue that worries me. Some owners have been waiting for body panels due to accidents for months. Very cool car and would be super unique not to mention about 25% msrp everywhere ...I would have bought it over the 2019 Outback, but the 2020 feels up to speed with the times now ;)

Also, I am all for the extra cladding, especially in the parallel parking mess that is NYC.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You’ll appreciate the cladding once you understand how bad Subaru paint is. I made the mistake of not getting a clearbra on my ‘15 WRX and the lower front is loaded with chips and pits- hundreds of them. Im at 60k miles on the original windshield so I haven’t been driving close or tailgating snowplows. I know the clearbra prevents much of the paint damage but it’ll still wear the vinyl. Im getting clearbra this time- not being cheap again.

Also before you say it looks cheap- Audi, Volvo, and BMW are known for tons of cladding- the Allroad is probably the best example. Subaru is trying to capture customers from this market so you should feel a little better knowing it’s mirroring some of the luxury class. Just my 0.02!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You're right and the lack of parts is the main issue that worries me. Some owners have been waiting for body panels due to accidents for months. Very cool car and would be super unique not to mention about 25% msrp everywhere ...I would have bought it over the 2019 Outback, but the 2020 feels up to speed with the times now ;)

Also, I am all for the extra cladding, especially in the parallel parking mess that is NYC.
They do look neat and you are right..you can get a 40k model for 31k

·
Registered
2013 BMW 135i, 6MT, PPK / She Who Must Be Obeyed wants an Outback
22 Posts
We drove a '19 Touring 3.6R today and were told that there was a 'stop sale' order on the '20s. We were not given a reason for the stop sale - we could look at/start the '20 but could not drive it.

1 - 20 of 370 Posts