Subaru Outback Forums banner

201 - 220 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just got off the phone with the dealership. They finished up a conference call to discuss the issue.

It’s a loose bolt on the brake pedal pressure switch. They have the procedure to do the fix but Subaru (Corporate) hasn’t given the green light as of yet. He said a couple more days...but I’m first in line...
Thanks for the update! Post pics and a review as to how you think it drives when you can.
It's one thing to watch a professional car review; but I find real world comments from actual buyers more believable.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe Subaru should get kudos for this....such a little adjustment holding up a new models' nationwide introduction...shows Subaru cares about their products regardless of inconvenience and cost...just to make absolutely sure their customers' families are safe in their products. That takes BIG huevos!!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I believe Subaru should get kudos for this....such a little adjustment holding up a new models' nationwide introduction...shows Subaru cares about their products regardless of inconvenience and cost...just to make absolutely sure their customers' families are safe in their products. That takes BIG huevos!!!!
That's a positive way to look at it. There's usually always a silver lining somewhere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish they would tell customers what the problem is. I have my car and when I tried to get answers today no one could give me any. Thank God for this thread. Subaru corporate only said if I do not feel safe don’t drive it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dealer said that certain cars were effected. My Touring XT that should arrive next Monday is not one of them. I really hope his information is correct.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wish they would tell customers what the problem is. I have my car and when I tried to get answers today no one could give me any. Thank God for this thread. Subaru corporate only said if I do not feel safe don’t drive it.
a lot of this takes finesse on the part of the car owner in building a repoire with the service dept at you dealer. and its also the reason for the forums, so we can all share what we learn. in the case of the 18 harmon kardon issues it took me being patient and understanding with 3 service advisors and the assistant service manager before they all decided I wasnt a threat and they could open up a little about the scale of the issue.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally called us today after picking up the car last week. I'm going to take it in shortly. They didn't seem all that concerned about it other than getting it ticked off of their list. Said that all that they'd checked there to date were OK. As someone else had posted earlier there's a service campaign bulletin out as of yesterday. Don't want to pay for access to get it but I'll try to get a copy if I can when I take it in.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Finally called us today after picking up the car last week. I'm going to take it in shortly. They didn't seem all that concerned about it other than getting it ticked off of their list. Said that all that they'd checked there to date were OK. As someone else had posted earlier there's a service campaign bulletin out as of yesterday. Don't want to pay for access to get it but I'll try to get a copy if I can when I take it in.
And that's exactly correct.

I just walked in (I was off yesterday) and see an actual official stop sale dated yesterday.

See, now there's no rumors running around, we have an official sale with production dates and VIN numbers. (And I really hadn't heard, other than on here, about an issue until yesterday. Neither had my new car manager.)

Only certain VIN's will be affected. And from reading between the lines, since I used to work on the line, there are several bolts that hold the brake pedal assembly in place. It looks like one of them may not have gotten run in all the way - possibly stripped or something - and while it would have passed the torque click wrench check, because it was bound in place, it wasn't all the way in like it was supposed to be.

Again, keep in mind two things about this. It was probably only one person on one shift that did something incorrect - which means two hours every other day if they're still running 8 - 10 person teams - but Subaru being Subaru, they're going to check every single car, but you're probably only looking at a few hundred at most that have an issue. If I have Sherman set the wayback machine, we find that we had an issue with the 2015's when they came out, with a possible leak. The internet blew it up all out of proportion to reality, Subaru fixed it, and life carried on. Later we had the steering column recall. Again, the internet blew it all out of proportion to the reality (although it was a bit of a pain - I was literally delivering a car that I'd sold and suddenly we had to put them in a loaner for a month), Subaru fixed it, and life goes on.

Does anyone else besides me pay attention to things like this that happen to OTHER car companies? Subaru has an issue, we have less than 3,500 cars that might be affected. We caught the problem, we're fixing the problem. GM just recalled 3.4 MILLION trucks and SUV's for a brake problem. It took them more than 10 MONTHS to figure this out, with more than 100 plus crashes and at least two injuries - and that's only AFTER the NHTSA began investigating. It took Subaru less than 10 DAYS to figure there was an issue, and they're fixing it on their own.

(In all honesty, I suspect this will probably be like the B-pillar weld problem on the Ascent. OMG, look at what happened - then it'll be a non-event and forgotten in a couple of weeks. It's not bleeding, so it won't lead the news cycle.)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Things happen. It will get fixed. We all will get over it.
I am not worried. I'll order my 2020 sometime in October or November. No rush.
I'll keep the 2016. We'll have two Outbacks in the family then.
Our 2016 had the steering column issue. It was a bit of a pain in the rear, but we got over it. Has been nothing but a great car since ....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Two things that baffle my mind about the Onyx edition is why is the window trim still chrome and not blacked out and also, why no front camera?!?! Of all the trims, this seems to be the one that would have the largest demographic of buyers who actually go off-road...

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Two things that baffle my mind about the Onyx edition is why is the window trim still chrome and not blacked out and also, why no front camera?!?! Of all the trims, this seems to be the one that would have the largest demographic of buyers who actually go off-road...
Um ... the Onyx Edition DOES have the front camera.

You can have the chrome wrapped so it's blacked out, but it comes down to being easier to assemble on the line - one less part to have to have.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Um ... the Onyx Edition DOES have the front camera.

You can have the chrome wrapped so it's blacked out, but it comes down to being easier to assemble on the line - one less part to have to have.
Where did you see that? Online I didn't see it listed on the builder or compare section. Also, when I went to the dealership the salesman told me it didn't have it. Odd and thanks for the correction.

201 - 220 of 305 Posts
About this Discussion
304 Replies
67 Participants
z28dug
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing