Subaru Outback Forums banner

221 - 240 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK, I have a copy of the Campaign Bulletin now but it's printed so not in a form that I can post easily. Maybe somebody who has access online can post a PDF at some point.

Summary is as follows:

NUMBER: WUL-97R
APPLICABILITY: 2020MY Legacy & Outback
SUBJECT: Brake Pedal Bracket Mounting Bolt Inspection.

INTRODUCTION:

This bulletin provides a procedure for inspection of two brake pedal assembly mounting bolts. If inspection results dictate, replacement of the brake pedal assembly will be required. Based on a significant number of inspections conducted to date, the number of vehicles requiring brake pedal assembly is anticipated to be EXTREMELY small. [Their emphasis and similarly emphasized several times throughout.]
Issue is two T-40 Torx bolts at the front (toward driver) of the mount where the brake pedal assembly attaches below steering column. If either are missing or not to torque spec (5 Nm) then the assembly is to be replaced. Again they note that this is expected to be EXTREMELY RARE. Bulletin then goes into the check and replacement procedure.

No VIN range, model type, production date, or other specifics that I see.

Took just a few minutes to check. No prob with ours.

·
Registered
05 Subaru Outback XT
55 Posts
Um ... the Onyx Edition DOES have the front camera.

You can have the chrome wrapped so it's blacked out, but it comes down to being easier to assemble on the line - one less part to have to have.
Also, that is true but it defeats the name Onyx though...but it makes sense, this is Subaru. They also use the term Sport now for a trim that has no performance enhancements, visual is fine enough😂

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,587 Posts
Subaru dealer in LA area now has some 2020s but they are not selling them or even showing them yet. i wonder if the brake issue is why. i didn’t ask but can now report they are arriving on lots here in this area finally.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,272 Posts
Where did you see that? Online I didn't see it listed on the builder or compare section. Also, when I went to the dealership the salesman told me it didn't have it. Odd and thanks for the correction.
Tell the salesman to open his Subaru Foundations page on SubieNet, go to Outbacks, click model build, click safety, then driver assist technologies and look at the chart.

Minor detail - don't forget what I do for a living. :)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
141 Posts
Where did you see that? Online I didn't see it listed on the builder or compare section. Also, when I went to the dealership the salesman told me it didn't have it. Odd and thanks for the correction.
It is right on the Outback website (https://www.subaru.com/vehicles/outback/features.html):
"180-Degree Front View Monitor Standard on: Touring, Onyx Edition XT, Touring XT" << It is the LIMITED that doesn't have it (so it seems), not Onyx.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT
77 Posts
I emailed my dealership yesterday to see if there are any updates; but I haven't received a response from my salesman. I'm going to wait until lunchtime tomorrow; and if still no reply, I'll call.
I'm a little nervous because I don't have a VIN number...I hope the car exists!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
The turbo 2.4 has had some odd ball fuel related failures. I’d bet Subaru is going through those again to make sure the #1 seller doesn’t become the #1 liability.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
347 Posts
And that's exactly correct.

I just walked in (I was off yesterday) and see an actual official stop sale dated yesterday.

See, now there's no rumors running around, we have an official sale with production dates and VIN numbers. (And I really hadn't heard, other than on here, about an issue until yesterday. Neither had my new car manager.)
Carl, first let me say thank you for all of the experience, information, and perspective you bring to this forum and to the Ascent forum. It is much appreciated.

My take on this stop sale due to the brake bolt assembly is not a concern, just people excited to get their hands on their new cars and can't and no one has communicated why AND why this is not something to be concerned about. Those who own or follow Subaru, know that when an issue is found, and they are alerted to it, it usually gets investigated and then a fix is put into place. All good. Two areas where Subaru has not or is not doing well and where improvement is needed is 1) COMMUNICATION. Subaru like most car brands (the least advanced in current and now long-time management and customer communication protocols of any industry) does not allow or empower the dealer and its employees - the actual interface with the consumer & client - to communicate with that client. It doesn't trust it's own employees and just keeps them in the dark. It's beyond incredible that you as a long time Subaru employee and professional salesperson or purchase consultant just got word of this stop sale and brake issue a week or so after folks on this forum knew about it! That's just crazy. This would be a great case study for a university like the way one I went to. This is 1980s era management. But more than that it leads to frustration on the part of the consumer/client and is a huge dissatisfier, that with other dissatisfiers, degrade the trust and the loyalty to the brand and affect sales/profits. There is every reason in the world to change this.
2) Subaru HAS QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES. It's nice to know that they eventually take care of them. But these issues do not happen at the same rate for all brands. And they are also huge points of frustration, exasperation, and inconvenience. Experienced Subaru owners give a lot of slack, but regular folk - and new Subaru clients - so-called "conquest" purchasers - are not willing to do that. It's fair to say that the 2019 Ascent rollout was more problematic with regard to issues & failures than the 2015 Outback rollout - and most of those issues continue into the 2020 MY. It's disingenuous for you to always try to deflect, by saying look at the other brands! Why isn't anyone talking about them? It's not either due to anti-Subaru bias or ignorance, it's because Subaru has work to do and we know that, by the poor quality control as evidenced by far too many issues in new models like the Ascent. Let's hope the Outback, traditionally Subaru's "bread & butter" model will fare better. If not, the Subaru buyers reality will overtake Subaru's marketing - and no amount a cute dog commercials will be able to turn that around...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Picked up my 2020 Touring today...I was told the Torx screws were installed correctly and the correct torque specification and viewed the report. Nothing required. First drive 132 miles, see summary of comments later this evening below under caption "New 2020 Subaru Outback owners first drive, second,......etc."

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
197 Posts
Agree, the black cladding is way overdone front and back. Taillights are ok not as C- shaped as the new Forester
I too agree with you guys about the cladding. Frankly I think it's real bad. Way too much of it and just not done right. Looks like some basic crap that belongs on a budget entry level vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT in Autumn Green Metallic
277 Posts
I guess everyone who complains of paint quality wants more of it lower in the most susceptible to damage area of the car.

I tend the other way and am glad Subaru seems to agree.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Premium w/Eyesight package #14
347 Posts
I too agree with you guys about the cladding. Frankly I think it's real bad. Way too much of it and just not done right. Looks like some basic crap that belongs on a budget entry level vehicle.
I think the front cladding looks alright. The back cladding with the two, what I call hemorrhoids is unusual but is growing on me (pun intended) ;) . But it's the side cladding that looks cheap, incongruous, unsophisticated and unnecessary. People want go-anywhere ability and functionality, not plastic cosmetics.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Its funny to me to see everyone complain about the cladding. This car used to have the whole bottom half of the car as cladding! I loved my 2003. No paint to worry about when I dirtied up the bottom half of the car in mud and whatnot. I hated when they started taking it all away and it just started looking like "every other "crossover" type car"

·
Registered
238 Posts
How has the Subaru black cladding held up as far as oxidation/fading/whatever? Just finished re-doing all on a truck that I have that looked terrible before. Would be a bunch to have to do on the Outback.

·
Registered
122 Posts
but how many - how many per model? how many per brand? The site says only 100K people.
CU specifies the MININUM amount of cars/truck owner feedbacks that they must receive to be included in the model assessments. I don't know of any breakdown of how many cars per manufacturer that's currently available.

And... "ONLY 100K people"????! You're kidding, right?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
CU specifies the MININUM amount of cars/truck owner feedbacks that they must receive to be included in the model assessments. I don't know of any breakdown of how many cars per manufacturer that's currently available.

And... "ONLY 100K people"????! You're kidding, right?
Well, for ALL cars? And thats a fraction of the amount that is claimed to be in the Consumer Reports similar data, which is very different, yet they are actively trying to discredit Consumer Reports on that website.
I'm just saying I'm not convinced of the validity.

221 - 240 of 370 Posts