Subaru Outback Forums banner

361 - 370 of 370 Posts

·
Registered
'13 BMW 135i, 6MT, PPK / '20 Outback Limited XT
34 Posts
IF truly autonomous vehicles become a reality, it will be a blessing for the elderly and the disabled. They might be able to "come and go" at will without the risk of unknown drivers such as in taxis or ubers.
. . . and they won't have to ride the short bus to Wally world with the rest of their pals from the Lawrence Welk Village. ; -)

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,107 Posts
I've always loved driving. Some cannot understand how I didn't mind the 12 hour drive from Baltimore to Atlanta to visit my son......don't always like the traffic but love to drive.
For some years I was going from LA to Albuquerque to visit close friends - doing the trip a handful of times a year. Thats also a 12 hour drive. I loved it. People thought I was nuts but I miss doing that drive and now that they moved I keep thinking of a reason I should go out there again.

Totally different if there is traffic - like every day here in LA.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Well, no. If you get one of these you’ve just wasted a day in the shop getting it fixed. It’s a minor thing if you are a dealer, or someone with options, or a salesperson, but for some all you can do is go sit at a dealer while it gets fixed, while taking a day of vacation. It’s also not like Subaru dealers are under every rock, they can be in places where even a loaner can be hard to work with.

I’m just saying that, sure, in a certain sense, no harm no foul, but in another, there better be two free throws awarded.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, no. If you get one of these you’ve just wasted a day in the shop getting it fixed. It’s a minor thing if you are a dealer, or someone with options, or a salesperson, but for some all you can do is go sit at a dealer while it gets fixed, while taking a day of vacation. It’s also not like Subaru dealers are under every rock, they can be in places where even a loaner can be hard to work with.

I’m just saying that, sure, in a certain sense, no harm no foul, but in another, there better be two free throws awarded.
I always enjoy going to my dealer. Vacation day (y) Take my dog, everyone at the dealer loves her (y) Walk to Starbucks enjoy the day with my dog, coffee and cruising the internet (y)
But I'm kinda weird, I also like taking the day to go to my dentist :unsure:

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
477 Posts
Daniel, believe it or not, there are folks who visit forums like this who would believe that it actually is an auto-pilot. It's on the Internet so it has to be true, right?
And you wouldn't believe people post questions on internet forums, taking responses as gospel. Rather than reading the owners manual...which can also be found online. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I, for one, can't wait for fully or mostly autonomous vehicles. My kids will start driving in 7 years. Fingers crossed technology will make driving safer for everyone by then. Something that will save them from making stupid mistakes that could result in major, possibly fatal, accidents. Or to keep distracted drivers from making a mistake and killing my kids. So bring on the self driving technology.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It will be the start of a sad time when this eventually happens. I love driving. I very seldom find it stressful. Heck, I drive for a living. I love classic vehicles. The day will come when the cost of being able to drive a classic car on public roads will become prohibitive for most people due to fuel cost, insurance cost, and likely some form of penalty (pronounced: tax) for doing so. It won't happen tomorrow. It won't happen next week. But that time is coming and it isn't far enough into the future for me.
They killed that in California even. There's so few
And you wouldn't believe people post questions on internet forums, taking responses as gospel. Rather than reading the owners manual...which can also be found online. :rolleyes:
No, he's right. I should have been more thorough in my description and use correct terminology and not gotten short with ppl. Granted that terminology is still in development but since Tesla is most advanced at this time I think Full Self Drive (FSD) encompasses complete automatic operation. I would LIKE for Tesla to have a serious competitor in that arena and naturally I want it to be Subaru. My collision system activated near a stoplight today. I could have managed it but it was an urgent situation. If it had been my Mom... I appreciated the effort. Antilock came on and it sounded like a machine gun. Very controllable. So yeah.. car is awesome.

·
Registered
'13 BMW 135i, 6MT, PPK / '20 Outback Limited XT
34 Posts

·
Registered
19 2.5i OB LTD w/SSD Strt Twr Brc + OEM 19mm RSB
1,346 Posts
I live in a town that is going to allow autonomous vehicles to be tested alongside non-self driving cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, runners. Imagine the horrific scenario - a fatality. Whom will be liable?

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I live in a town that is going to allow autonomous vehicles to be tested alongside non-self driving cars, pedestrians, bicyclists, runners. Imagine the horrific scenario - a fatality. Whom will be liable?
It will be a shotgun effect. Lawyers will be suing everyone.

361 - 370 of 370 Posts