Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
You’ll appreciate the cladding once you understand how bad Subaru paint is. I made the mistake of not getting a clearbra on my ‘15 WRX and the lower front is loaded with chips and pits- hundreds of them. Im at 60k miles on the original windshield so I haven’t been driving close or tailgating snowplows. I know the clearbra prevents much of the paint damage but it’ll still wear the vinyl. Im getting clearbra this time- not being cheap again.

Also before you say it looks cheap- Audi, Volvo, and BMW are known for tons of cladding- the Allroad is probably the best example. Subaru is trying to capture customers from this market so you should feel a little better knowing it’s mirroring some of the luxury class. Just my 0.02!
The dealer tried to sell me a clear bra on top of the other accessories I ordered. Typically would it be cheaper and better quality to get it through the dealership or through some sort of auto body type place?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Strange, just asked my Texas dealer about a 2020 stop sale as my Touring is due next week. They knew nothing about a stop sale. No problem picking the car up next week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The dealer tried to sell me a clear bra on top of the other accessories I ordered. Typically would it be cheaper and better quality to get it through the dealership or through some sort of auto body type place?
I asked about this when I ordered - would have really liked an option to have this installed when I pick it up, but he said that they didn't offer it and recommended a shop to do it. Best bet would probably be to find a good shop near you to do it (probably be cheaper).

In the ~3000 miles our WRX has been lightly driven, we already have 5-6 chips on the front end and really wish we did the clear bra when we bought it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dealer stated today that Subaru has placed a HOLD on all 2020 outback sales (and deliveries) until the dealer does a "quality inspection" on already delivered vehicles and apparently the factor does a "quality assurance inspection" on 2020 outbacks currently being produced. The dealer hedged when I asked if this was a "recall" or if there was a problem.

Does anyone have information to confirm or deny the HOLD and if it is true, does anyone know what the issue(s) is/are?

THANKS

·
Registered
1,303 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Any word on exactly what there's a quality issue with? I wish they'd release some info, but I suppose they might think it will scare potential buyers away. As badly as I want my new car, I of course don't want something that's going to have a problem bad enough to potentially cause a safety issue. So better they fix it first. But I do wish they'd give us some info.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I was skeptical of the back end on the new Outbacks at first but the more I look at it (in pictures like above and from seeing it in real life) the more I am loving how the pointy light cluster works with the sharp angles on the rest of the surfaces.
I remain skeptical. When I look at the tailend lighting, I see "lobster claw paws". The amount of black cladding (?) makes the vehicle look cheaper to me, but that's just my take. The other pictures I've seen of the front... Well, all I can say is the back looks better than the front.
All I can ever see when I look at a pic of the back end is those silly spoiler extensions or whatever you want to call them that go from the upper spoiler all the way down the sides of the glass. Those are going to be a major pain in the butt when cleaning snow and ice off of the rear window.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks like the gal with wide open door may have put a dent in it...hope not.
Seriously! I haven’t parked that close to a business front door since the first 5” vertical scrape after owning my new 2011 for a mere week. Sad day for sure, kept telling myself, the car is rugged, scrapes are part of its story, still, wouldn’t catch me doing it again!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
To recap what I recall seeing posted here, there have been stories in Torque News, that seem to have to been based on articles in Automotive news (paywalled), about how there been leftover development issues with the new gen OB/Legacy. Management was planning a ramp-up of production into October. Just seems to me this must be slower than they had planned for. Here is a link to one of the AN articles: https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/19-outback-selling-well-subaru-taking-time-20-model

It may work for you until the paywall kicks in. I don’t find the Subaru rep’s logic entirely convincing, and believe that they are indeed experiencing more issues, of whatever kind, than they expected.

I also posted a link to a thread at legacygt.com, where the posters claimed to know that Subaru has a supplier issue and can’t get enough spec parts to do full production, so associates are being sent home early or w/o overtime, which is also stated in that AN article. This is between a rock and a hard place, as they can’t keep their record sales up indefinitely by fire sale-ing the old gen, because it is time for it to be replaced, but they don’t want to start cranking out the new car at full rates knowing that it still does not meet their standards.

my 2 cents

·
Administrator
4,264 Posts
I was at my new favorite Subaru dealership yesterday and they had several 2020 Outbacks in but alas I was only able to sit in them and look around. I like what I saw from the Onyx, Limited, and Touring models but I really really really want to drive one :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting developments ... Since I need a car now, I might just go for a 2019 3.6R Limited. Here in the NE some dealers are even advertising them for about 20% off ($38k+ sticker for around $30K ... might be able to do even better) plus the 0% financing opposed to the 2.9% on the 2020 and additional tax and we are looking at least a $10K price difference for same trim between model years.

The main issue besides this hold time is I am thinking about the infotainment system in which literally EVERY car function is now buried. Will I trust this system once out of the 3 year warranty? I just had a Volvo XC90 with the Sensus which does the same and while it was without hiccups for the 3 years I had it, I would not trust it long term.

Maybe I'll jump the gun on the 2019 and wait for all the growing pains to work out on the new gen. The 2019 should be pretty bullet proof and might end up keeping it long term. It would already taken the depreciation hit with the massive sale discount.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Interesting developments ... Since I need a car now, I might just go for a 2019 3.6R Limited. Here in the NE some dealers are even advertising them for about 20% off ($38k+ sticker for around $30K ... might be able to do even better) plus the 0% financing opposed to the 2.9% on the 2020 and additional tax and we are looking at least a $10K price difference for same trim between model years.

The main issue besides this hold time is I am thinking about the infotainment system in which literally EVERY car function is now buried. Will I trust this system once out of the 3 year warranty? I just had a Volvo XC90 with the Sensus which does the same and while it was without hiccups for the 3 years I had it, I would not trust it long term.

Maybe I'll jump the gun on the 2019 and wait for all the growing pains to work out on the new gen. The 2019 should be pretty bullet proof and might end up keeping it long term. It would already taken the depreciation hit with the massive sale discount.

What do you guys think?
Your logic is sound. The main objective reason in my opinion for getting the 2020 is the new Subaru Global Platform which is more impact absorbent and quieter and the driver focus feature (if you care about that). All other features are marginal or subjective and a matter of taste.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There was a TechTIPS Newsletter about the 2020 Legacy and Outback posted on Sep 4. Anyone know if it’s related?

“2020 Legacy/Outback QMT Spec...” Quality Monitoring Team?

21 - 40 of 300 Posts
About this Discussion
299 Replies
66 Participants
z28dug
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing