Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Your logic is sound. The main objective reason in my opinion for getting the 2020 is the new Subaru Global Platform which is more impact absorbent and quieter and the driver focus feature (if you care about that). All other features are marginal or subjective and a matter of taste.
Yes, this is exactly why I wouldn't let the dealer talk me into buying a 2019. He kept saying there was very little difference. Well, when safety is my number one priority by far, I'm going to wait for what is said is a safer platform. I'm sure the Gen 5 is a perfectly safe car, but when an even (supposedly) safer option is available, I'm going to go for that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The lane centering is a big deal to me. I'm on the road about 9 hours straight 8x a year, and many times after a physical day that puts me home after midnight. I'll take the extra safety assistance gladly, and the extra money between the 2019 and 2020 is worth it to me for this feature alone.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your logic is sound. The main objective reason in my opinion for getting the 2020 is the new Subaru Global Platform which is more impact absorbent and quieter and the driver focus feature (if you care about that). All other features are marginal or subjective and a matter of taste.
Safety is a concern of course but Gen 5 has top ratings already. I had most of the nanny features on the XC90 and really auto-brake is the only one that saved my butt a few times in dense NYC traffic. Been driving my father in laws Forester XT now and I am back to being more attentive now than before. Those nanny features do make you a tad lazy and reliant on them. Nothing beats good ole defensive driving.

As far as noise insulation ... 80% of my driving is in the boroughs of NYC where sound levels are apocalyptic.I am used to that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Yes, this is exactly why I wouldn't let the dealer talk me into buying a 2019. He kept saying there was very little difference. Well, when safety is my number one priority by far, I'm going to wait for what is said is a safer platform. I'm sure the Gen 5 is a perfectly safe car, but when an even (supposedly) safer option is available, I'm going to go for that.
The SGP absorbs crash energy 40% better has 70-100% stiffer frame and has 40-50% less body roll

·
Registered
23 Posts
A car that doesn't go when you need it to go, miles from any paved road and cell coverage, could be life threatening. I'm very glad Subaru is putting quality & reliability first. It could save your life or mine some day.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I talked to my sales guy and isn't aware of anything going wrong with the outback production. They haven't been told to stop taking orders. He was going to have his manager check into it and get back to me.

·
Registered
273 Posts
What do you guys think?
I think you really want the 2020, but are looking for confirmation that the 2019 is the way to go. :)
Seriously, there is nothing wrong with your thinking. Go for the savings if you think you'll be happy with the Gen5!

·
Registered
147 Posts
BTW --- how much off invoice do you guys think one can get a 2019 Premium?
You’ll get a decent idea here:
MSRP/INVOICE/PURCHASE PRICE thread

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
@Carl Abrams - Anything you can add? Thank you.
Yeah, what the heck is everyone talking about?

Nothing that has come across our screens at all.

Now - my question would be for those who are saying that they were told this by their dealer. Where are you? If you're in SNE or SDC territory, that might be something coming from THEM, perhaps due to an accessory issue. I've got nothing here.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There was a TechTIPS Newsletter about the 2020 Legacy and Outback posted on Sep 4. Anyone know if it’s related?

“2020 Legacy/Outback QMT Spec...” Quality Monitoring Team?
No, that's the same thing they posted when the Ascent came out. (Which is why I'm probably the first one who helped push a redesign of the trailer hitch cover pins.)

They want us to be VERY aware of anything that customers point out that might be considered an issue. This is our usual SOP for a new model launch anymore, having a monitoring team available.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Seriously! I haven’t parked that close to a business front door since the first 5” vertical scrape after owning my new 2011 for a mere week. Sad day for sure, kept telling myself, the car is rugged, scrapes are part of its story, still, wouldn’t catch me doing it again!!
It one that's already been taken off road and other stuff. Manufacturer dealer plates - that car has already been rode hard at all the ride and drives around the country.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Now - my question would be for those who are saying that they were told this by their dealer. Where are you? If you're in SNE or SDC territory, that might be something coming from THEM, perhaps due to an accessory issue. I've got nothing here.
Anecdotal but I am seeing this on other sites as well. Like this guy on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/askcarsales/comments/d08duf

·
Registered
30 Posts

THANK YOU, CARL!! You're awesome.

·
Super Moderator
25,196 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All, just joined the group as have been lurking and gathering info better part of 6 months. Anyhow my dealer had 13 in transit and locked up a gray touring XT. Originally told Sept 19 but then they called back and sent paperwork as Oct 4 delivery date. No big deal as will be on business trip last two weeks of Sept. Will keep you posted if any further delays.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was in for service on my 15 today, dealer (Savannah,GA) is also under stop sale order. The salesman was very frustrated because he said the 5 on the lot would already be gone otherwise. I sat in started up and played with the HU on a Red Limited and white Onyx. Saw a couple of unimpressive fit/finish issues on the limited that embarrassed the **** outta the sales guy. I went from 100 percent sure I would buy one to around 75 so not a great look for Subaru to have them sitting there but unavailable for sale.

·
Registered
3 Posts
41 - 60 of 322 Posts
About this Discussion
321 Replies
69 Participants
Bebba1
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing