Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
roll it back over and drive it home.

i hope no one was hurt!!

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Dirt roads + AWD and tall wagon tends to create lots of over confident people as a result rolled outbacks on dirt roads are more common than rolled VW Jettas on dirt roads.

Judging by the skid marks fair guess speed was involved which means driver error is to blame not the car.

My first driving lesson given by dad who did Drivers ED courses for 26yrs to help boost is meager science teacher paycheck was at the age of 14 in a E250 van during one of our many back country packing trips. First rule he says is this "Brakes are useless on dirt roads especially in the E250" Hit the brakes and you have zero control over the vehicle it goes which ever direction it was pointed before you hit the brakes.

#2 The best way to roll a vehicle is to leave the road bed generally as a result of hitting the brakes
#3 Pretty much all vehicles can go **** fast on dirt roads without too many worries unless you hit the brakes!

So at 14yrs old I learned to skid and slide around corners with nothing but the go pedal and a major case of butt clamp to the seat.

Glad your OK - DO NOT HIT THE BRAKES next time unless you plan on going the direction the car is already pointed.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
Glad you're ok (at least well enough to get on line;) )

Not sure what you mean by "issue" of rolling on a dirt road.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
So I rolled my 04 Outback today. It's a gonner but I want to know, has anyone else had this issue of rolling an outback on a dirt road?
Excessive speed and physics apply to any vehicle.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
hope everyone is OK.

·
Registered
'13 2.5Ltd w/EyeSight ::::: '02 2.5Ltd AT
95 Posts
Flying uncontrolled into the forest + slope + ramp + walking away with photos = epic win!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
Rolling one just takes speed with a dash of stupidity. Not rolling one is the thing to work toward.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback Limited - 2.5 L Boxer H4 - 5 Speed Manual
341 Posts
Jesus guys, stop calling the poor dude stupid. Accidents happen - it's not stupidity, it's just a bit of fault, which we are ALL guilty of at some point or another. Learn from your mistake, get another Subie, and move on my man! Best of luck to you

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,372 Posts
Not calling him stupid. He just asked if there was an "issue" with OB's rolling.

His question is not entirely valid...any vehicle can be rolled under appropriate circumstances. An Outback is no more or less a victim of physics that anything else when something unusual happens to it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, the roll is hard to see, but it was much more noticeable at the end when it was sideways. I can't say what he has on his car in terms of mods. You're right in that it isn't completely stock. However, it also doesn't appear to be that heavily modified either.:29::29:

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,665 Posts
I am not stupid.

I HAVE done stupid stunts.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
It's amazing how quickly and easily a rollover can happen. The following video shows a Skoda Octavia rolling over. For those who don't know, the Octavia is a Jetta-based AWD wagon sold in Europe.

·
Banned
238 Posts
Another stupid way to get rid of an old car with some bragging rights.
You could just easily to blow it up and then ask same question:
Has anyone else had this issue of blowing up an outback stuffed with TNT :gasp:

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
Glad to hear no major injuries occurred. I've seen a few rolled over Outbacks, and I'm always surprised at the integrity of their roofs in these circumstances. On the other hand, perhaps all that structural integrity up there also makes for a lot of mass up high and therefore a higher center of gravity.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Glad to hear no major injuries occurred. I've seen a few rolled over Outbacks, and I'm always surprised at the integrity of their roofs in these circumstances. On the other hand, perhaps all that structural integrity up there also makes for a lot of mass up high and therefore a higher center of gravity.
Its a game of give and take. Low center of gravity point due to the engine design - tall ride height ie the off road suspension - soft sprung suspension to make off road use comfortable vs rattling your fillings out of your head. Generally contributes to a vehicle that can be rolled over easier than a lower slung car with a lighter built roof.
Subaru was essentially meeting roof strength standards before they were set in place - it would be fair to say Subaru had proper roof structure and strength built into their cars before other makers were forced to do so by the GOV.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts