Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Premium Autumn Green
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around for any threads about accidents, survival stories, damage, and the such. I loved the ad campaigns "They Lived" and "I Survived," especially the one where the guy goes to the salvage yard where his *WRX?* was towed after an accident and it was totaled, he reached in and took the shift ball and leaves in a new Subaru. That one really stuck with me; it's an emotional attachment. And I know most new cars are very safe, but we are here for Subaru! What are your stories, close calls, accidents, survival stories, repair costs, replacements? Let's stay away from the human loss stories please.

This is my wife's 2011 Legacy. She was pulling out from an intersection and was t-boned on her drivers door at 45 mph. Side curtain air bag and seat air bags deployed. She came away with only a bruised left arm and a tear in her shirt from the seat air bag. The car was not even 2 years old, and her first new car purchase, and our first Subaru.

Initial estimates were $9k in repairs. The drivers seat was actually shipped back to Japan for rebuild. The car was repaired over the span of 3 months. Total ending repair cost was just over $13k. Thank you full coverage insurance! While I was not happy that the car was not totaled, some % repair to value calculation in Minnesota insurance law blah blah blah, we kept the car for another 3 years and you would never know the severity of the damage, it drove straight and true, no unusual squeaks, rattle, clicks, or noises of any kind. Doors both opened and closed like new too. I was very impressed by the lack of damage, really. I remember when I got that call from her, I expected much worse. I even drove it to the Subaru body shop in town. We bought a 2011 Outback after this.

She Lived. Thank you Subaru.

Attachments

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
The door beams did their job, that's for sure.

It's a 2007 Legacy GT in this cut-away. But, you can see the door beams in gold.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,300 Posts
Looks like a solid cage dates back, there's a cutaway of a 2nd gen Outback.

They're definitely safe cars, and while nobody wants to be in a crash, it's good to know that a manufacturer puts that as a high priority.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,302 Posts
The floor board's flank also takes a good bit of shock too.

first time I jacked up my outback at my dad's shop, he was astonished that the chassis was so rigid, jacking up one corner high enough for brakes lifted 2 other wheels off the ground.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts

Protip: don't wreck your wife's car 6 months after getting married and moving across country.

Reactions: scoobydoo2

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Someone shops at Sears for Batteries.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
Someone shops at Sears for Batteries.
Did back then. Mal's got an Autocraft Gold currently. Sprout has...whatever the previous owner put in. Dunno what I'll replace with when it goes.

·
Master Caster
16,151 Posts
Did back then. Mal's got an Autocraft Gold currently. Sprout has...whatever the previous owner put in. Dunno what I'll replace with when it goes.
Cherry's previous owner did as well, it's doing better than the Yellow Top I bought for Frankie.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,765 Posts
Glad everyone is okay...it pays to drive a safe car

·
Registered
2018 Subaru OB Premium
260 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I wanted to get this car for my family vehicle

Really it's my wifes car, she carries the baby around, and that's what is most important to me.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
My 18 year old daughter lost a battle trying to move around a city bus in Baltimore and "rubbed" another car with Onyx, our 2008 LL Bean. The damage didn't look that bad, but they replaced both doors on the driver's side because of the door beams. They did their job and having new ones makes me feel better about my kids driving the car. The same 18 year old turned in front of someone with Little Red, our 2000 Outback and had a corner to corner accident. Brucey bought Little Red, fixed her up, and sold her to a needy friend. Amazing cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts