Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,534 Posts
Shouldn't be terribly hard to fix
Why do you think this? How easy is it to patch the code in key fobs, assuming it's possible at all? How many owners of 8-year-old cars would bother even if a patch were available and they knew about it?

Meanwhile, if this information worries you, take the battery out of your remote(s) and use the metal key.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback 3.6R
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It worries me that something that simple to not do was still done. Rolling codes have been around for quite some time.

I have an 18 so not personally a problem but how a company deals with this issue shows how they would react to others.

The fix could be a simple flash of the chips or replacement that is likely more difficult. I get the not fixing it due to age but ignoring the issue altogether is my concern. 2011 wasn't all that long ago. My other 2 cars all roll and they are both 2010.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
It worries me that something that simple to not do was still done. Rolling codes have been around for quite some time.

I have an 18 so not personally a problem but how a company deals with this issue shows how they would react to others.

The fix could be a simple flash of the chips or replacement that is likely more difficult. I get the not fixing it due to age but ignoring the issue altogether is my concern. 2011 wasn't all that long ago. My other 2 cars all roll and they are both 2010.
I'm sure even on the '18 there are vulnerabilities to be exploited in the vehicles communications system.....just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,527 Posts
The good news is Outbacks are not high on the list for car thieves, much less high-tech car thieves that would use code-napping equipment.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,151 Posts
The good news is Outbacks are not high on the list for car thieves, much less high-tech car thieves that would use code-napping equipment.
Maybe not your Outback.

Frank isn't replaceable. I could not even fathom a $ tag value. Just the sum of the parts is staggering.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts