Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Legacy GT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does haynes, or Bentley make a factory service manal for subaru? Where do you go to buy the manual on CD, or download, and is it factory or generic?

Thanks
Andrew

·
Registered
'00OBW, '96&'94 Legacy - all rusted RIP, current: 2016 Focus MT
4,804 Posts
Hi and :welcome2:

Hi. My top list for Subaru service info:

1. Purchase CD's with service manual PDF's from techinfo.subaru.com Cost: about $200

2. Subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com - it has the Subaru OEM factory service manuals. Cost: about $15/year NOTE: some libraries have full subscriptions you can access even from your home computer at no cost to you using your library card #, so you might want to check that out at your local library's web site.

3. Subscribe for 72 hours to http://techinfo.subaru.com and download the sections of the manual you want. You can only download so many files per hour, but if you don't want the entire manual (like maybe you don't care about engine internals, etc), you can get the sections you need in that 72 hour period. Cost: about $39.95.

4. www.endwrench.com is an excellent FREE resource for soobs. It is an official SUBARU site and has great articles on how to perform many common kinds of subaru service.

5. Used printed SUBARU factory shop service manuals can often be found on eBay. Cost: $100 on up.

6. Haynes manual is ok for certain basic service tasks but is lacking and has errors in some areas.

7. For TSB's (Technical service bulletins) check out www.scoobymods.com they have many of them in their TSB section. Also http://www.nhtsa.com/ has summaries (but not details) of most Subaru TSB's.

8. www.autozone.com has some service info for various vehicles; not sure for soobs.

The $5 CD's on eBay I have not tried so I cannot comment.

There are places on the Web that have some or all of the service manuals for certain model and year soobs posted; sometimes people post links to these in various forums or find them in google.

Other resources:
register free at my.subaru.com with your VIN# and for 1996 and later soobs you can see certain service history, open recalls, etc.

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
porcupine73 said:
Hi and :welcome2:

Hi. My top list for Subaru service info:

1. Purchase CD's with service manual PDF's from techinfo.subaru.com Cost: about $200

2. Subscribe to www.alldatadiy.com - it has the Subaru OEM factory service manuals. Cost: about $15/year NOTE: some libraries have full subscriptions you can access even from your home computer at no cost to you using your library card #, so you might want to check that out at your local library's web site.

3. Subscribe for 72 hours to http://techinfo.subaru.com and download the sections of the manual you want. You can only download so many files per hour, but if you don't want the entire manual (like maybe you don't care about engine internals, etc), you can get the sections you need in that 72 hour period. Cost: about $39.95.

4. www.endwrench.com is an excellent FREE resource for soobs. It is an official SUBARU site and has great articles on how to perform many common kinds of subaru service.

5. Used printed SUBARU factory shop service manuals can often be found on eBay. Cost: $100 on up.

6. Haynes manual is ok for certain basic service tasks but is lacking and has errors in some areas.

7. For TSB's (Technical service bulletins) check out www.scoobymods.com they have many of them in their TSB section. Also http://www.nhtsa.com/ has summaries (but not details) of most Subaru TSB's.

8. www.autozone.com has some service info for various vehicles; not sure for soobs.

The $5 CD's on eBay I have not tried so I cannot comment.

There are places on the Web that have some or all of the service manuals for certain model and year soobs posted; sometimes people post links to these in various forums or find them in google.

Other resources:
register free at my.subaru.com with your VIN# and for 1996 and later soobs you can see certain service history, open recalls, etc.
Or just ask me :)

nipper

·
Premium Member
09 C63 AMG, The OBS has a new home.
1,443 Posts
Ebay CD Factory Manuals "A" OK

We purchased our CD Subaru shop repair manual on Ebay, great low price, easy to use, a complete factory manual. The first CD we purchased was junk, we rated the seller appropriately. The next seller was exceptionally good. Still we only paid a total of $10 or $15 bucks for both CDs.

·
Registered
2000 Legacy GT
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,
Thank you all for the numerous sources of service info!
I have been Subaru fan for awhile now bought the 2000 GT wagon just three weeks ago, and I PRAY for good service from this car for as long as possible. I have been a Honda person for the last 20 plus years and this is my first venture outside the brand, other than my Ford Taurus(320K), which won't pass inspection at the moment(hence the Subaru purchase).

I try and do as much manual servicing as I humanly can, which is why I need the material you mentioned below.

And I have a forefather of the Subie, a 1973 Superbeetle I am restoring, love my VW's

Later and I'll be writing again sometime!

Andrew

·
Registered
Outback Ltd
11 Posts
Factory Service Manual for 20007 Outback

Last year they were available on ebay for about $35 I need one now and can't find them. Any suggestions other than downloading from the Subaru site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts