Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I have a 15k service appt this Saturday and was going to have the dealer do this recall. I have no choice since I'm in California. Hopefully it will not affect MPGs at all.

Edit: Here's an excerpt from the original email. It states that the recall will not affect fuel economy.

Dear Subaru Owner:

We would like to thank you for your selection of a Subaru vehicle. At Subaru, we take pride in our products and are committed to your continued satisfaction.

Subaru has developed a modification to the Engine Control Module software logic to improve the monitoring parameters within the On-Board Diagnostic (OBDll) system for the engine coolant thermostat. This correction ensures that should there be an abnormal condition (i.e., the engine coolant does not reach or maintain the proper operating temperature), the “check engine light” will illuminate. The proper illumination of the “check engine light” is needed to alert you that corrective action may be required.

This software change has no effect on fuel economy or vehicle performance.

·
Registered
2014 2.5 Outback Premium CVT 72,000 mi (previous: 2012 OB 2.5 base 6-MT, totaled at 73,532mi)
534 Posts
This software change has no effect on fuel economy or vehicle performance.[/I]
I know for sure that a performance alteration was included in the update. The low speed idle control was horrible before the update, fixed after. First I thought it could have been the ECU reset (forgetting learned settings), until I discovered that the low speed behavior is indeed changed. Before, in first gear, no throttle, it would cruise along at a minimum of 1100 rpm. I confirmed this by tapping the brakes to slow it down, and it would always speed back up. Now, it idles along at 750rpms. Dfferent, no question about it.

·
Registered
2013 & 2014 Outback
268 Posts
For whats it's worth, after the program update my wifes 2011 OB would get ARO 23 MPG when before the update she got ARO 26 MPG. The car after the update wouldnt move along at the 1100-1300 RPM. The car always seemed to need 2000 RPM which means you have to stay on the gas a bit. Saturday we went in and had the program updated again. Now the car feel more like when it was new. We only have had the car back 2 days. I will update after a few tanks of gas.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I had the recall done and have not noticed a single change in performance or gas mileage. Perhaps I'm lucky :29:

21 - 24 of 24 Posts