Subaru Outback Forums banner

341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
Australia is lighting up

Things have not slowed down at CKE SSP even though tdck has a full time day job. In fact, busier than ever.

Especially Australia. Europe and Canada are picking up also, but AUS feels like it is starting to erupt. People who are not here, but social media cross pollination is starting happen. Many are lifted applications. Many are Foresters.

I also just got an order from my dealer ADF, for 60 units.

Once again, I thank this forum for all the enthusiasm and support over the last 14 months.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,328 Posts
Us Aussies are very loyal and a referral to a source is all but guaranteed business.

This will be the reason why the Aussie business is taking off, one referal for your parts to a forum like ozfoz.com and I cannot imagine how much business that might generate.

Many Forester owners in Australia are very passionate about their vehicles and spend serious money to get it the way they want it to be.

Seagrass

Reactions: traildogck

·
Registered
239 Posts
@traildogck,

Hi. I have '19 OB 3.6R and I sometimes I feel what the engine or tranny is doing which caused the entire vehicle to slosh or become unstable (not much but quite noticable at lower speed). Do you think it might be because of the tranny mount or bushing that's soft from the factory? My 10' Legacy 1st gen CVT exhibits the same symptoms. I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/173628167740?chn=ps

Which product should I choose 60d or 75d? I saw a gen5 member satisfied with 60d over the 75 but would like your input. Thanks

Also ordered 85D bushings fro front and rear. :)

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #344
@traildogck,

Hi. I have '19 OB 3.6R and I sometimes I feel what the engine or tranny is doing which caused the entire vehicle to slosh or become unstable (not much but quite noticable at lower speed). Do you think it might be because of the tranny mount or bushing that's soft from the factory? My 10' Legacy 1st gen CVT exhibits the same symptoms. I found this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/i/173628167740?chn=ps

Which product should I choose 60d or 75d? I saw a gen5 member satisfied with 60d over the 75 but would like your input. Thanks

Also ordered 85D bushings fro front and rear. :)
I saw you bushing order yesterday. I was going to double check with you on the 85d. Clarification made here.

I have the same observations regarding driveline "slosh-lash-movement". I wanted to rid my 5EAT cars of it. Most of the lifted CVT customers are using the inserts to quell vibrations at lower speeds when on medium to hard throttle. However, I think the insert has benefits for non-lifted users to help with what you have illustrated above.

I would stick with the 60d. I have received some feedback the 75d insert can transfer a"buzzing" type vibration at sustained higher rpm level. However, I have zero 1st hand driving experience with a CVT driven car.

If someone wants to gift me 2019 Outback...I'll take it :wink2:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Awesome! I am not sure about the durometer either but I guess I'll go with 85d and work backward if too much NVH is introduced into the cabin. looks like some members are happy with 75F/85R or 85 all around. TBH, the OB is far from rough compared to the '18 FXT I briefly owned (only mod was 20mm RSB).

I am not sure about the stiffness of the tranny insert. I guess I could try the kit and if 60d doesn't do the trick, I can always swap up to 75d? I saw a member response earlier stating he preferred the 60 over 75. Doesn't hurt to own both :) Do you know if eBay is running any promo at the moment? Trying to save few quids here and there

Also my '10 Legacy 2.5i gave me plenty of buzzing from the tranny @130k miles. Wished I learned about your upgrades while it was still with me.

Give me heads up if you ever come to Seattle! Will go for a ride for sure

I saw you bushing order yesterday. I was going to double check with you on the 85d. Clarification made here.

I have the same observations regarding driveline "slosh-lash-movement". I wanted to rid my 5EAT cars of it. Most of the lifted CVT customers are using the inserts to quell vibrations at lower speeds when on medium to hard throttle. However, I think the insert has benefits for non-lifted users to help with what you have illustrated above.

I would stick with the 60d. I have received some feedback the 75d insert can transfer a"buzzing" type vibration at sustained higher rpm level. However, I have zero 1st hand driving experience with a CVT driven car.

If someone wants to gift me 2019 Outback...I'll take it :wink2:

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
I have had a bunch of random traffic on Ebay.

If that was any of you ... thank you for your support. Enjoy better support for your Subaru.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #349
6MT Diesel, Done

I knocked the 6MT diesel trans mount insert "outta the park" today.

My 1st attempt failed. The OEM mount I got from @discountpartsmonster was a little bit "wonky" ... "off center". It was messing with me. So I corrected it.

I needed to both side and lateral load the mount in order to get a clean "master tooling"

Notice the band clamps and the Vise-Grip.
I had to top off the termination side due to all the "distortion" for the pour.

The "rough diamond" ... all set for dressing into the final "casting copy".

And you all think this is easy, and about the $. :spend:

Far from it.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
CKE took the night off

Since tdck became CKE, I have had very few breaks. Since I started back full time as a construction project manager 6 months ago, I haven't had a night off.

I can't believe I am saying this. I can't believe I am doing this. I am taking the night off. I am not pouring rubber. I have rubber to pour, believe me. I have brackets to modify. I have reinforcement brackets to fab up, I have threads I need to tap in 1/4" stainless plate.

I just spent 3 hours marking up drawings for a big project ... I am taking the rest of the night off.

BTW ... thank you all for your support. I enjoy following my folly. But I am taking the night off. I will watch some Breaking Bad or Futurama or something.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #351
The Good, the Bad, & the REALITY

I have had 3, yes, 3 out of possibly 500 units out there worldwide, with sqeaking issues. That's across several extreme environments, globally.

Like, Omaha ?... I'm serious. 2 of the offenders have been 85d. 1 was a 75d. I just received feedback from a Gen5 (I think) who decided paying a maintenance $ to re-grease the performance bushing was a negative.

I respect that. I understand it, I can see balancing the trade-off.

Me ... I have been modding cars since I was allowed to drive cars at 12...my 1st purchase was (through my Dad), at 14. A 1966 Chevy Corvair Corsa. I still own it. The added maintenance for an aftermarket or modded part is a buy-in-understanding. Or it should be. So if you don't do it yourself ... weight the $-risk-benefit against your own value structure. I have just known it as "regular". Everything I have ever owned has been modded during my tenure.

So be warned, CKE may not be for you.

Always feel free to contact me for personal service and discussion.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
746 Posts
I have had 3, yes, 3 out of possibly 500 units out there worldwide, with sqeaking issues. That's across several extreme environments, globally.

Like, Omaha ?... I'm serious. 2 of the offenders have been 85d. 1 was a 75d. I just received feedback from a Gen5 (I think) who decided paying a maintenance $ to re-grease the performance bushing was a negative.

I respect that. I understand it, I can see balancing the trade-off.

Me ... I have been modding cars since I was allowed to drive cars at 12...my 1st purchase was (through my Dad), at 14. A 1966 Chevy Corvair Corsa. I still own it. The added maintenance for an aftermarket or modded part is a buy-in-understanding. Or it should be. So if you don't do it yourself ... weight the $-risk-benefit against your own value structure. I have just known it as "regular". Everything I have ever owned has been modded during my tenure.

So be warned, CKE may not be for you.

Always feel free to contact me for personal service and discussion.
I too mod everything I own and have owned to a certain extent. Some have been lightly modded, and some have been very heavily modded. Chris is certainly correct, the downside is the then continued maintenance and upkeep/upgrade. To me it is always worth it, but I know how and for the most part enjoy the tinkering.

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
World Wide Web ... WTF

I just met up with someone who must have Googled performance Outback SBB. $30 parking lot sale at my Apt. Not a member here, but... someone who mods everything he drives. I can identify with that.

Of, course ... if you Google any Outback question, this forum will be the 1st link. They contacted me through Ebay. And we met at my apartment for a local pick up.

Total duration ... from 1st contact, about 7 hours...

CKE is both world wide and d*mn near Amazon response on the local level.

I thank this forum , this community, and the platform. A platform I have often times exploited for my own purposes. (and all it's members, even my trolls)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,077 Posts
I just met up with someone who must have Googled performance Outback SBB. $30 parking lot sale at my Apt. Not a member here, but... someone who mods everything he drives. I can identify with that.

Of, course ... if you Google any Outback question, this forum will be the 1st link. They contacted me through Ebay. And we met at my apartment for a local pick up.

Total duration ... from 1st contact, about 7 hours...

CKE is both world wide and d*mn near Amazon response on the local level.

I thank this forum , this community, and the platform. A platform I have often times exploited for my own purposes. (and all it's members, even my trolls)
for your safety and everyone else:
maybe you should meet people at a dunkin donuts parking lot. (= police dept sub station),...you know instead of doing business outside your residence, with the crack and meth-heads eyeballing you.

(or someplace cheaper then dunkin donuts.....slow fuckkers priced themselves out of my stomach a long time ago)

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
for your safety and everyone else:
maybe you should meet people at a dunkin donuts parking lot. (= police dept sub station),...you know instead of doing business outside your residence, with the crack and meth-heads eyeballing you.

(or someplace cheaper then dunkin donuts.....slow fuckkers priced themselves out of my stomach a long time ago)
I hear you on that.

As sketchy as it may have sounded. It was way more legit than that. In that 7 hours, there was verification of not being creepy. This was nothing more than a business deal, I was raised to make this way. A handshake type deal. You can take the boy out of the country. But, you just can't take the redneck out of the boy. We all have a radar, a meter. This was alright. I have met folks at my place, and at Harbor Freight a stones throw away, but I only meet those who pass through many filters.

If I don't ever meet, if I don't feel 100% right. This ain't craigslist, it's the Outback forum

·
Registered
239 Posts
A quick review on CKE SSP products:
I have '19 OB 3.6R. I've been fed up with the weird side to side slop and transmission slop from which also existed in my previous '10 Legacy. I bought 85D FSB and RSB bushings plus tranny mount insert kit.

The bushings:
-Handling: Greatly improved compared to stocks. The car turns flatter and more planted on the road. I could toss the car around more easily. Steering is more responsive and precise in combination with steering dampener lockdown.
-NVH: Ride is slightly firmer but still comfortable compared to stock. In addition, stock bushings caused the car to rock side-to-side. This in turn caused the vehicle to be unstable going over bumps and turns (unstable). Straight line tracking is also much improved.
-Installation: Rear is easy, the car is tall enough. Front is slightly harder. You'll need to turn wheel to create clearance. I also had to push down the clamp on to the bushing so I can tighten the nuts. The stock front bushings feel very flimsy compared to the 85D. At 12k miles, it feels as if it can tear off any time soon.

I'm not sure how the RSR springs will pair with the bushings (firmer for sure but comfort wise?)

The insert:
I used the softer 60D one since another member had vibration with 75D.
-Handling: The transmission shake is gone. Switching from or to P, D or R no longer produces the clunk or the shake. Nice! The shake from dead stop and accelerating is gone. The car acclerates more comfortable now. Minor shake still exists but very negligible. Now I only feel the pull and push but not sideway shake caused by the tranny.
-NVH: there is audible engine rumble/growl sound about 1.1-1.2k rpm. It is a nice sound to me since stock is pretty much quiet or hushed. Vibration is minimal and even then not intrusive or discomforting. Feels like my wife's '17 civic
-The stock mount bushing is soft and I could hand wiggle it.
-Installation: first time touching a mount so quite unnerving but a Rhino ramp and floor jack handles just fine. There are 1-2 nuts that were hard to reach if you have big hand ratcher tools.
Here is member @Brucey installation video:
I'm not sure about the 2x4 brace :D
Here is the result video from him:

@traildogck was very fast and nice when I contact him regarding which products to choose. Fast shipping and great advise!
Thank you @traildogck

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
-Installation: Rear is easy, the car is tall enough. Front is slightly harder. You'll need to turn wheel to create clearance. I also had to push down the clamp on to the bushing so I can tighten the nuts. The stock front bushings feel very flimsy compared to the 85D. At 12k miles, it feels as if it can tear off any time soon.

Yes, the fronts are a bit of a challenge. The 85d for sure. Since the bushing are duplicates of the OEM, they are designed to crush into place and still be tight. The clamp is something I should add to the instructions. It has even been suggested I include longer bolts.

The insert:
I used the softer 60D one since another member had vibration with 75D.
-Handling: The transmission shake is gone. Switching from or to P, D or R no longer produces the clunk or the shake. Nice! The shake from dead stop and accelerating is gone.

This is what I call driveline lash. This can even happen as the torque converter locks and unlocks. That is why I made the 1st 5EAT insert for myself.

-NVH: there is audible engine rumble/growl sound about 1.1-1.2k rpm. It is a nice sound to me since stock is pretty much quiet or hushed. Vibration is minimal and even then not intrusive or discomforting. Feels like my wife's '17 civic
All Subarus have a hard exhaust strap connected to the transmissions. When the insert is installed...you pick some engine/exhaust vibration. I run an 85d insert in Frank and I had to put a chunk of rubber between the strap and the transmission to quell the buzz. I have a 3" full AVO performance exhaust...so there is more rumble than stock.

BTW, starting 2010 all Outback have rubber isolators on that hard strap already.

Thank You so much for the feedback

·
Registered
746 Posts
All Subarus have a hard exhaust strap connected to the transmissions. When the insert is installed...you pick some engine/exhaust. I run an 85d insert in Frank and I had to put a chunk of rubber between the strap and the transmission to quell the buzz. I have a 3" full AVO performance exhaust...so there is more rumble than stock.

BTW, starting 2010 all Outback have rubber isolators on that hard strap already.

Thank You so much for the feedback
Things that make you go Hmmmmm! Perhaps I need to put a rubber isolator in my exhaust bracket! I never thought of that! Well, duh! LOL

·
Master Caster
16,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
Things that make you go Hmmmmm! Perhaps I need to put a rubber isolator in my exhaust bracket! I never thought of that! Well, duh! LOL
I just cut a chunk off a old radiator hose (Hmmm, you are going to have one of those) and sandwiched it between the hanger and the transmission casting. Drilled a couple of holes for the bolts. Simple Redneck Engineering. I told myself I would develop a urethane pad, so I didn't have to use some janky scab.

But, it appears I must have channeled my focus toward more important things

·
Registered
746 Posts
I just cut a chunk off a old radiator hose (Hmmm, you are going to have one of those) and sandwiched it between the hanger and the transmission casting. Drilled a couple of holes for the bolts. Simple Redneck Engineering. I told myself I would develop a urethane pad, so I didn't have to use some janky scab.

But, it appears I must have channeled my focus toward more important things
Yes, I will have one of those! Great idea, again!

341 - 360 of 392 Posts