Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

"(TOKYO) — Concrete rubble litters streets lined with shuttered shops and dark windows. A collapsed roof juts from the ground. A ship sits stranded on a stretch of dirt flattened when the tsunami roared across the coastline. There isn’t a person in sight.

Google Street View is giving the world a rare glimpse into one of Japan’s eerie ghost towns, created when the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami sparked a nuclear disaster that has left the area uninhabitable.

The technology pieces together digital images captured by Google’s fleet of camera-equipped vehicles and allows viewers to take virtual tours of locations around the world, including faraway spots like the South Pole and fantastic landscapes like the Grand Canyon.

Now it is taking people inside Japan’s nuclear no-go zone, to the city of Namie, whose 21,000 residents have been unable to return to live since they fled the radiation spewing from the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant two years ago.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2013/03/27/google-adds-street-views-inside-japan-nuclear-zone/#ixzz2OnrCASYb" -

I wonder what they did with the Impreza after photographing the area? Can radiation be scrubbed from a vehicle?

Google Adds Street Views Inside Japan Nuclear Zone | TIME.com

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts
I wonder what they did with the Impreza after photographing the area? Can radiation be scrubbed from a vehicle?
The area may be uninhabitable for humans for long durations due to the continuous additional radiation exposure, but I highly doubt it would be there long enough to itself become significantly radioactive itself even if it stayed there for much longer than just a week or two of drive-throughs. They do not even say if the car was driverless and this would make for a great marketing opportunity for Google's driverless cars and I would think they would say so if it was. I have only known Google's Prius's to be driverless and if a person was in the car, then there's no way the radiation would be that impactful to that degree. Regardless, if something like this were to be listed on the CarFax, I'm certain it would hurt the car's resale value purely based on stigma.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
I have a close family member who spent his entire career building and managing nuk plants. All depends on the type of Radiation they are dealing with. You would be surprised what a paper suit and a basic resporator can do to limit exposure.

Oddly enough he knew the full history of the plant in Japan and wasn't the least bit surprised how it failed.

That plant was modified some years ago he knew some engineers who were tasked with the project. The modifications altered the gravity fed cooling system to a pump driven system which relied on power and back up systems to keep cooling water flowing. The giant wave wiped out the back up generators and electrical systems needed to pump cooling water and bingo big big problems.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts